I haven't slept for 8 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@toohip. Ooooops! The EOS imaging screening is a 3d X-ray.
Similar to those new X-ray devices at the airport that got a lot of headlines because the technicians can actually see your private parts. A lot better than an MRI. 20 second scan and your done. Look it up on YouTube and you can see for yourself.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey, Jeff....so good to see you're having a great time here on BoneSmart already!!! You are an upbeat and fun poster for sure. I've enjoyed reading your thread!

I am in awe of all you're doing with a bad hip! My gosh, you're tough!!! And you've been at that job for almost 30 years???!!! But you're still such a young pup!! That means you started at the tender age of 17. Wow!!!!

Speaking as a fellow "control freak" I have a suggestion for you if you find yourself getting nervous before surgery. Stay as busy as you can (that doesn't sound like it will be much of a problem with your schedule). And, once you get to the hospital, tell them you are a bit nervous and ask for something to help you relax. The nurses have special little cocktails that will do just that...either a pill or something in your IV. You'll still be alert but you will float just enough not to worry anymore. It's a nice smooth ride that way. Things will move so quickly once you get to the hospital. Everyone is so professional and they know their job in and out. (Big special day for you -- just another day at the office for them!) Next thing you know you'll wake up in recovery with a new hip and the beginning of a new, more enjoyable life.
 
To all, Something just doesn't feel right this morning. My wife is at work, I just dropped my daughter off at school (wearing her Elsa costume from the movie Frozen for her Halloween parade) and its real quiet here in the house as I look across the room at the calendar. I'm relaxed, way to relaxed. There's 3 red circles on the calendar, all very big events for me. Ooooops! Hold on a sec, my eyes are burning and red. No sleep again last night. So much pain in the right side all the way down to my toes. I couldn't find any position that would allow me to close my eyes. I laid on the floor (that's where I've been trying to sleep for a couple of years now) left side, right side, my back, all no good. With every twist and turn I would hold my breath (that helps keeping me from shouting)
Finally, on my stomach, on the floor, with both knees bent and bottom of my feet facing the ceiling. I got it! That'll do it, good enough to close my eyes.
Then the alarm goes off. Got to wake up my daughter for school.....
Baaaaad Night folks, real bad.
Anyway, back to the calendar.
November 13th (red circle) My daughters 8th birthday.
November 21st (red circle) My surgery. One down & one to go.
November 27th (red circle) Thanksgiving day.
This is definitely not the old Jeff sitting here looking at a November calendar, being that's it's still October. I should be super nervous, but I'm not. Or maybe it didn't hit me yet.
The bottom line is, you all padded and Cushioned the walk way for me.
I'm telling you without a doubt that I would have put it off for another eight years or just continued to work until I dropped, if you all didn't prepare me for this.
So I'm on my way, just trying to keep it together.
Thanks and keep PUSHING



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@2 for Jeff

I would advise you start sleeping with a big jumbo pillow that goes from crotch to ankles between your legs. This is how you will sleep after your hip surgery. Then while on the non operative side with thepilow between your legs, prop a pillow at your back to keep you from rolling over. Do you take any type of pain relief for arthritis? Arthrotec or Celebrex? I forgot to tell you one of the most important questions to ask you Surgeon, if you are taking any kind of pain pill. Ask him if you can take it right up until the night before your surgery or is there a different protocol he follows?

Cheryl
 
@2 for Jeff oh happy happy birthday to your daughter!! Here are 8 candles for her:
i i i i i i i i
I am soooo sorry you had such a bad night. In just three weeks, that kind of terrible terrible pain will be a thing of the past! All the things that hurt to even think about today, will not hurt in the same way Ever Again! Sure there will be recovery pain, but that is very manageable, and of course keeps going away day by day.
I am so happy when I think about how you are going to react when you wake up post op and all that grinding hideous pain won't be there. :) :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @2 for Jeff - We have all been at this point, one way or another. For the last few years (probably 6 or more), I've had to give up things/places i wanted to do/see, because of pain and restriction of movement. And I pushed myself a lot, to the point, where I was an angry person, it got to the point that its no way to live!! Strangers would comment on limp, etc and other hippies would encourage me to get the operation. Sometimes I felt bad, like 'why was i dealt this'...but it could be worse. Finally, I got the courage, etc to see an OS and do something about it. I fought my fears real hard and just went into that hospital and did it...mainly because I couldn't live much longer with the pain and lop-sidedness. Sometimes I kick myself now with 'I'm an idiot for not getting it done sooner'...but can't and won't stay in that mindset, cause it'll bring me down and i have to live my life. I am really thankful that I have the support of family and friends!! You will get through this, you took the first step with your doc and you're going to a great place, where they do this operation all the time and they are caring and supportive hospital. When I first went into HSS, I met a group of nurses standing around...they took 'one look' at me and asked who's my doc...and then they said you're in the best hands and that you will be fine and that people of all ages get this operation done...don't listen to anyone that says it's only for the older folk...cause it isn't at ALL!! After that, I really felt alright that I was making the right decision. Some friends and family have told me 'it's only done on older people' but i just walk away from them and not listen!!!
 
@CanukTriMom Talking about the pillow. We went shopping for supplies last week and came home empty handed. It was an exhausting day. We went from store to store. We probably shouldn't have started looking for shoes for me first. That's always a problem. We went from store to store asking "Do you have anything in size 14" no but we can order it for you, no but we can order it for you, all day long, store after store. But yes, I need one of those body pillows, Thanks.
I'm currently taking nothing for arthritis or pain.
Years ago my Dr. Tried me on every type of arthritis medicine, even the ones you mentioned, some that aren't even available anymore. Nothing worked for me.
Eight years ago my Orthopedic Surgeon threw his hands up and said "Jeff, there's nothing I can do for you, either live with the pain, or call me when your ready for surgery"
I can't even take the hard stuff like Tramadol because if I'm not around dangerous high speed machinery I'm driving my family around in the car.
So no pain management for me. I'm just a big punching bag who's getting beat down to nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@zauberflote Thanks so much for the Birthday wish for my little Chloe, she means the World to me.
Yeah, 3 weeks.
I feel so bad when my wife asks me what's wrong? Am I mad at her ? No I'm not mad you, I just can't smile to much anymore. She just wants her husband back.
So yes, 3 weeks from now a fresh new start.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@toohip Yeah, you know I get the most negative remarks from the people who I thought cared about me the most. Oooooh! That's a serious operation, you shouldn't do it. That's for older folks. Your not going back to work afterwards. My aunt died after that surgery. People should think first before they speak. But like you said, walk away and don't listen


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@2 for Jeff ...and just remember all us bonesmarties who have done it and are delighted to have our lives back :-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jeff,

My buddy did not use your doctor at HSS. But they are all excellent there. (He went to a doctor who does revisions, one of his knees was done by an arrogant doctor near us in NJ who made some mistakes, the HSS doctor fixed those mistakes with a new knee implant.)

About so-called friends: There is a guy who hangs out at the barber shop where they shave my head. He's probably in his early 70's, but he looks older. It is because he never could pull the trigger on having his bad knees done. He limps badly, uses crutches, is always in pain and miserable. I have talked to him a little to try to help. It is not about money for him, he just has too much fear - I've heard that his 'friends' are telling him the horror stories. We are all different of course, so I won't judge, but I feel very bad for him. You do not want to be that guy, believe me. And you won't.

Mark
 
Interestingly, it is possible that some of those same type "friends" will come around after we've had our surgeries and talk about their Aunt Franny who tap danced off the operating table! :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@2 for Jeff

You can get the pillow at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Remember to print out their standard 20 percent off coupon that you can find on their website. I also bought my cane there.....it is called the Hurry Cane and has feet, folds up to fit in a purse etc. you can also buy the cane from Amazon.

I love your baby girls name! Absolutely beautiful. We were only blessed with one and he is now 12 and we named him Noah.

Have fun trick or treating! Take a pic of the two of you and post it for us to see!

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom Wifey took all Halloween pictures with her phone but here is Chloe with Almond, her Birthday present last year when she turned 7

[Bonesmart.org] I haven't slept for 8 years.
 
To all, tomorrow is the worst day of the year for me. I dred this day all year long. Here in the U.S. Day light savings time. Set the clocks back one hour Sunday morning at 2am.
This stinks for me.
I work 12 hour nights, starting at 6pm and finishing at 6am, but tomorrow night at 2am , I have to set the clocks back to 1am and actually work 13 hours.
Stinky day


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Bummer about your 13 hour day!!!

Those photos of your daughter are so precious!!! She is gorgeous and I'm thinking she just might have Dad wrapped around her finger (in a good way, of course). She looks like a real sweetheart. You are blessed! And I'll be waiting to see the smile on her face when you are healed and she sees what all you can do with her in the days, months and years going forward. Your life is going to be sooooo different!
 
@Jamie Thanks Jamie, your right, I'm wrapped around her finger. I'll do anything for her and her mother. I just feel bad because it's been over 5 years since I visited my wife's family in the Philippines but the 18 hour non stop flight would kill me. But one day I hope


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom