I Have Finally Made My Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Kim22
It sounds as if you have timed your second THR well! So, if you need to wait to get an exam with a surgeon and for a surgery time, how does it work when you come down with a case of the flu or something like pneumonia? Meaning you can't wait weeks for that sort of appt, right?
 
Sorry @CricketHip my message to you doesn't seem to have appeared so I will try once more.If the hospital cancels your surgery for their own reasons then under the NHS Charter they must adhere to strict time scales when it comes to rearranging the date.I can't remember how many days they have but if the surgery is cancelled by the patient eg. due to flu then this doesn't apply so you could have to wait a number of weeks.This is the reason I am now trying to isolate myself and avoid people especially children in an attempt to reduce my risk of going down with a viral infection.I am missing my two little grandsons a lot so thank goodness for FaceTime
 
Thanks for your reply @Kim22. Especially since you had to post it twice! I actually meant in general, how do you manage things when you get sick? Surely there isn't a long wait time for that too? Does your country have urgent care clinics for the run of the mill illnesses?
But that is a good point about falling ill before your surgery. :yikes: I have informed my clients to not even think of darkening my doorstep if they have any symptoms..
 
We are all registered with a GP who looks after our general health needs and is responsible for referrals for more specialist care usually in the hospital setting.Each large hospital has an A and E department for medical emergencies and there is a network of walk in minor injuries units which covers the period when GP services are closed.Some therapies such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy are free but you generally have to go private and pay to see other therapists such as chiropractors and massage therapist like yourself.The NHS is paid for from general taxation but as you can imagine the demands on the service keep growing due to a number of reasons including the growing elderly population and advances in medical care like joint replacements.

I hope you can have some relaxation time before Monday but I know there is so much to do in those days before surgery.
 
Thanks @Kim22. You are correct in that the time is zipping by quickly now. We had such a lovely weekend and I think that was my relaxation period. Now I am getting a bit jazzed.. :rolleyes:
Thank you for explaining your health care system. I had images of someone calling in with a fever and bad cough only to be told there was a 6 week wait!
 
@Kim22
Thanks for sharing a bit of information on the UK's health system, as I've been very curious how it all works. I find the way medical emergencies are handled especially interesting! Here in the states (at least where I live), the emergency rooms are so overcrowded that it's insane and to be avoided at all cost! A trip to the emergency room will cost you at least six or seven hours in time and hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars! Several years ago a law was passed where emergency rooms could no longer turn anyone away for lack of insurance (understandable for a life threatening issue). But now we have emergency rooms jam packed full of people with minor illnesses such as the common cold! Of course a person with a life threatening emergency are taken in right away, but you could sit there with a broken leg and wait three hours before being seen. I'm quite impressed with the idea of separate emergency facilities depending on the nature and severity of the illness! Way to go UK! :-)
 
Just thought I'd share an update on my progress since starting physical therapy (for those interested). :-)

I've now attended 5 or is it 6 (getting old) PT sessions. My therapist has been gradually increasing my activity levels each time. During my last visit he wanted me to use one of those big inflatable balls, but I declined (I wanted to sit on it and bounce all around the room, but he had other plans). I'm going to try and explain it, but not sure if it will make any sense. He wanted me to sit on the ball and slowly walk away from it causing the ball to travel up my back to my neck and then walk the ball back up until I was sitting on it again (not sure if I have explained it so it makes sense). The reason I refused was because I felt like I would keep on walking until my head fell off and hit the floor or I'd roll sideways and fall off of it. I know he's going to ask me to do it again tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I can overcome this mental block I have in my head for some reason. We shall see.

I already feel stronger, limp is gone (most of the time) and pain levels are next to nothing....EXCEPT when I first stand up from a non weight-bearing position and take those first few steps. I have no pain as I'm standing up, but my hip feels really unstable and the first two or three steps I limp and I feel a pain at a level of about 3 to 4. After those first few steps, I can walk without a limp and if I have any pain at all, it never exceeds a 1 (on occaision maybe a 2).

So there ya have it pals! Hope all is well and life is good for all of my Bonesmart family! :loveshwr:
 
@cynthia I can certainly appreciate why you declined to do that exercise on the ball.You need excellent balance and strength to do it successfully and the risk of falling off it is very real.A great exercise once you are progressing and gaining confidence and it sounds like you are doing very well so it may not be long.Imagine how wonderful it will feel when you accomplish it.Keep us posted.I am so glad that you are already seeing some benefit fromthe exercises that you are doing.How wonderful to feel only minimal pain now.Keep this up and it may buy you some precious time or as you have said before you will have very strong supporting hip muscles which should have a positive effect on your recovery from a THR.

Our A and E departments are just like your and places to avoid especially at weekends when they are frequented by those under the influence of alcohol and other substances.At least we escape being presented with a bill thousands of dollars adding insult to injury ( pardon the pun ) and the miner injuries units have helped.These are staffed by Nurse Practitioners and GPs and they do take some of the pressure of the staff in A and E who are able to concentrate on the true medical emergencies.
 
I don't blame you one bit for declining that ball walk. It sounds like it could be dangerous if you're not careful. But, on the other hand, I'm sure your guy wouldn't have suggested it if he thought you couldn't do it. And, I'll bet you can! :)
 
@Kim22 and @Nana757

When he (Francisco) asked me if I wanted to try it, I kid you not, this is exactly what my face must have looked like...:yikes: because he busted out laughing! He said next time (tomorrow) he will spot me so I can't fall off. Ummm, would you girls send some extra prayers heavenward for me tomorrow? It would be mighty appreciated! :sos:
 
Here's hoping you conquer that ball in your own good time! You're so funny, @Cynthia777. The way you describe things is hilarious.
I'm so glad you're seeing such good results from your PT. I hope that continues for a long time. :flwrysmile:
 
You can do that ball! Make sure he spots you, though! You will be so proud after you do it!
I think you need a fancy Bosu or exercise ball t shirt.. hahah
Report sounds good. Keep on getting better! :goodpost:
 
[Bonesmart.org] I Have Finally Made My Decision

I figure in another 2 or maybe 3 weeks....ya think? :heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
oh! It took a while for the picture to pop up! Oh yah! Go for it!
 
God love ya @CricketHip! I bet you didn't enlarge the pic and see what this girl is doing (of course I'm assuming her feet aren't resting on anything)! Tee hee! If you offered me five million dollars to do that position, I might try for the next 20 years, but I'm pretty darn certain that five million would go unclaimed! ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom