I Have Finally Made My Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowledge is power @Cynthia777, and you've used it appropriately. The up side is that if/when the time comes that THR is in your future, you've done the hard work. No one here is disappointed! Everyone has their own journey. You are writing yours. Prayers and good wishes go with you, friend, as you live your best life!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal
You have always been such an inspiration and helped tremendously with my final decision. You are one of a kind and an inspiration to all here on BS...one in a million!!!!
I thank you for all your wise advice and words of encouragement!!! I'll be around though, as at some point I'm sure THR's are in my future. :-)
 
@Cynthia777

From my perspective you're making a brave but well informed choice that only you can make. Worst case, you're stronger, fitter and even more well informed by the time you take that surgical leap.

As before, good luck on wherever your journey takes you and don't disappear anywhere, it's too much fun with you here


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@AndyH99
Thanks Andy!!!! I've tried to tone down my ever present trait of being the "class clown" (it's followed me since high school). So, I'm happy someone enjoyed it!!! :heehee:
You have been a real asset here on BS and always so caring...I appreciate it more than you could know.
 
Hi @Cynthia777 I noticed your signature had changed to surgery TBC. So I managed to find your thread on your decision. You need not feel bad for making the hard decision to post pone, as everyone here has said, you know your own body and what you have achieved through PT . I totally agree with @craftdee . You should not have this op if you have any thoughts that you may regret it.

I have realised reading recent threads that the fitter you are before surgery really seems to be beneficial and helps with recovery. Reading @Hip Hip Hooray! Recovery thread made me realise I should have done more to prepare my muscles before surgery.

You will know when you need to go ahead and have a new hip or hips.

Good luck with everything you are doing and it is so great that you have little pain and have left your sticks behind:wow:

See you soon and thank you for your caring words of support x x
 
@Cynthia777, Just read your post. It's good that you're listening to your body. Didn't I read on one of the threads that you were originally going to go to Dr. Matta, but that the wait was too long? (I think that was an old thread, but I didn't realize it.) Who knows what will happen. It's great that you are not in pain. Especially that you are not limping.

I was able to get rid of the pain by working out on the machines at the gym. But, my gait was really weird, and I looked like I was born handicapped. Dr. Matta said that the balls of the sockets had moved outward, since I wore away all of the cartilage. Even my femurs shifted.

All the best to you. I totally understand.
 
@Suzette
Thanks for your encouragement and support (as you have always given to me and others on BS). I never realized how weak my muscles were until I got on the stationary bike at PT! Literally within two or three minutes (and only a 2 resistance) my thighs were shaking! I had read that recovery is very dependent on ones physical strength, so this also played a large part in my decision making. If nothing else, I will be better prepared for surgery should I need to move forward with IT after the holidays (time will tell). I will keep an eye on you and all my other special buddies here on BS. :-)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
Thank you neighbor, I appreciate your kind words!

Dr. Matta does not take my current insurance, however, I'm switching insurance on January the 1st and hopefully he will accept it IF I need to have surgery next year.

Another part of my decision was the four hour round trip drive for surgery and for follow-up visits. Since we have a good chance for torrential rains here in SoCal, I could just imagine trying to get in to see him down in Orange County (it could end up being a 6 hour drive each visit)!

It's too bad that you had the shifting of your sockets! My present surgeon said if my hip collapses, the surgery will not be any more difficult than had he replaced my hip prior to collapse.
Thanks again Hip!
 
@Cynthia777, I had to switch my insurance in order to go to Dr. Matta. I now have a PPO with Blue Shield. It's good that you're going to strengthen your muscles. I kept my focus on strength, and I really believe that's what helped my recovery the most. I was able to walk unassisted very quickly. I went to the gym every morning, and I am looking forward to returning. I have to wait eight more days. PT at home, walking, and keeping the household running is plenty for now!

I can understand how you feel about the drive from Orange County. Dr. Matta told me that more important than having him do the surgery was having the anterior technique, and a doctor that was covered by my insurance. I'm hearing a lot of success stories from many people in other areas. (I don't mean any disrespect to those who choose the posterior technique.) I just knew I wanted him, but I'm only about 40 mins. from his office.

I'm sure you will do what is best. Keep us posted. Glad to hear you are working on building up those muscles. It is key!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
There is an excellent surgeon 5 minutes from my home (he does the anterior approach and at least 200+ a year), but he's a real (I can't write what I think he is and it isn't nice), shall I say arrogant son of a gun! Although he has quite the narcissistic persona, my brother-in-law just started working for him and I'm thinking he may come down to earth if/when dealing with me. According to a cardiologist I saw for my clearance, he is said to have "golden hands". It sure would be a lot more convenient using him if I had any complications and needed several visits.
However, I will work on getting stronger in hopes of avoiding this surgery. Thanks for sharing your experience!
 
Cynthia777, I am brand new here, but just want you to know how glad I am you are seeing improvement with the physical therapy! You'll know when it's time.
 
Aww, thank you, @Cynthia777! You are very kind. I am just so thankful to find this forum. I have lovely family and friends who are very supportive, but it's hard for anybody who hasn't been through this to understand the process.
I am finding such amazing info and advice here. :yay:
 
You will know when it is time. So glad PT is helping you. We will all be here when you are ready
 
If the pt is working, post-poning surgery is a triumph, not a defeat! You will know if it's time. Gaining muscle strength will help you bucket-loads now and if and when you need to move forward with the THR. Boy, I would sure prefer the closer option. Mine is a 30 minute drive away with no traffic, but there's always traffic! You will know if the surgeon is right and when the time is right. Don't be a stranger here! We would miss you.
 
Safe journey! May God bless u and keep u! Nothing like peace of mind. You are doing what you can do. Nothing, absolutely nothing wrong with dat. Have a super fantastic season of your life.
 
@pamac
Thank you my friend! You have been such a kind person here on BS. I really appreciate your encouragement!

@topgun
And may God keep you in His loving arms and see you safely through your journey!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom