I Have Finally Made My Decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Cynthia777 I just saw your post about postponing your surgery...I've been kinda outta the loop the last few days. Forgive me if this is a ramble, just took my painpill. :chillpill:... I just wanted to let you know that I'm so happy for you that PT is helping and that I honestly think you have made the right decision. You have been a huge help to so many on this forum, the questions you've asked and the support you've given is invaluable. I went back and forth with this surgery, and put it off for 20 years! I understand completely. You have to be ready mentally for this surgery and "know" you have no other choice but to have it done. I'm not saying you wouldn't have doubts, I think many of us have them in the days before surgery and wonder if we're doing the right thing, but when it comes right down to it, deep down we "know" it's time. If you aren't there yet, I wouldn't recommend proceeding. I'm very early in this journey, but I feel that if my doubts or regrets or fear were stronger than my confidence that I was doing the right thing, it would be an extremely difficult recovery. To me it's similar to when I got divorced 23 years ago, I struggled for a LONG time with that decision, going back and forth, trying to make it work, knowing it wasn't working but unable to find the strength to "know" I had to. It was the toughest decision I had ever made and just could not force myself to get there...only time can do that....when I finally did "get there" it was so much easier, I just "knew" and it was like a thousand pounds were lifted off my shoulders. That's how it felt last spring when I "knew" I had to have this surgery. Going through the divorce was still sad, extremely difficult, felt like mourning a death, but if I didn't have that confidence that I was doing the right thing, if I didn't "know" I don't know how I would've gotten through it. Take care and I wish you all the best and continued success with the physical therapy!!
 
@PegGene
You are so kind to take the time to post, especially so soon after your surgery (and you didn't ramble)!!!! You really hit the nail on the head. Last May I was sooo ready, but this time I felt a heavy burden on my shoulders and tremendous anxiety whether or not to proceed. It didn't "feel right". I guess the improvement I've seen with PT has given me a glimmer of hope and if I don't continue to improve or my pain becomes intense, surgery is just a phone call away. Plus, as you pointed out, the drive did become a big issue once I realized I might need to see the surgeon if I should have any complications. Btw...your divorce analogy is spot on (been there too)!!!!
Thanks and I pray your recovery goes really well!!! :thankyou:
 
@Cynthia777 I am just catching up with you all as I just returned home from holiday yesterday and I just want to say that how pleased I am that you have improved so much that you have been able to postpone your surgery.Well done to you and your PT who have made this all possible.It makes no sense to go through major surgery if you are not in significant pain and your life style is not compromised.One good thing is that you have a very high level of knowledge regarding hip replacement and you will know when the time is right.Thank you for all your support during my pre op journey.I wish you all the very best for your future x
 
Awww @Kim22, God bless your heart! I'm heading off to PT now, but I want to get caught up on how you're doing! PT is going well and if nothing else will prepare my weak muscles for a THR next year. I've read that ones pre-op physical condition impacts recovery quite a bit. I wish I could take a video of me on the BOSU Ball, so all my friends here could get a good laugh out of it! I appreciate your encouragement so very much Kim...it means a lot to me! Hope you had a FABULOUS time on holiday!
 
Cynthia-- take a video..please? it would cheer us all up to see you doing so well. the PT will do it for you while you balance on that Bosu!
 
ouch! I think we need to see you doing it. :) hows the piriformis?
 
I am ok @Cynthia777 thanks for asking.We had a wonderful cruise in the Western Mediterranean including stops in Spain, France and Italy.I had some good low pain days but some very bad days especially on the second week which means that I am not in any doubt that I need the THR.We were a bit restricted due to my poor mobility but we made the very best of things and had a great time.We were with 8 friends and had some good laughs.Talking of good laughs I had a chuckle at the BOSU Ball video poor lass ! They are not easy to master but wonderful to improve balance and improve the strength of those hip muscles as long as you don't hurt yourself falling off the wretch thing of course.I agree with @CricketHip it would be good to see you on it.By the way how are you doing @CricketHip.Not long now
 
@CricketHip
Are you crazy woman? I requested they put up a drape around the BOSU Ball area, just so the other patients can't see me my shaking legs registering 7.0 on the Richter Scale! :heehee:

As far as my Piriformis...is that referring to my torn Labrum?
 
@Kim22

One of my very favorite trips was a Mediterranean cruise (my very favorite was the African picture safari). Ranking right up there was a trip we took to London...just loved the pub crawling and the day we were having lunch and the Queen drove right by us...very exciting! I'll be so happy when I'm able to travel again!

I truly dislike being in middle ground as far as the hip goes! Since my hip pain had all but disappeared and my limp has been improving daily, I just couldn't justify proceeding with surgery. If I'm not 100% by the beginning of the year, I will need to move forward with the surgery...only time will tell.

I'm actually getting better on the BOSU Ball...thank The Good Lord! Those first couple of times were quite embarrassing to say the least!

I'm very sorry you were in pain for part of your trip! How's your progress coming?
 
@Cynthia777 of course I'm crazy!! hahaha
oh, the piriformis is that muscle that your PT massaged early on and told you it was in good shape, was wondering if it's still doing well after Bosu sessions. That is awesome about you seeing the Queen drive past! We had that experience in D.C. with President Obama but not nearly as exciting as the Queen. She is an institution!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Kim22
I think my week will fly past quickly! I am ready to do this.
My surgeon's office started my PT videos and information feeds this morning.. gave me a mad case of butterflies in the tummy, and a bit of excitement, too.
Sorry you had some bad painful days on the vacation.. but in a way that helps us move forward, right? Your's is shortly after mine!
 
Wow @Cynthia777 I am impressed that you got to see our queen.I only saw her once when she was driven through our village when I was about 6 years old.We waited for ages and waved our union jacks like crazy but she went passed in the blink of an eye lol ! I was in the middle ground hip wise for a long time or as someone else on here named it the twilight zone.I was having hip pain on the left side meaning that I was not getting the full benefit of my new right hip but the X-rays were continually showing adequate joint space.In the UK we have a national health service so I didn't meet the criteria for THR.Your case is different as you are functioning well and have little pain.Another bonus is as you have private health insurance you can have it done when you feel you are ready without waiting on a list.

@CricketHip Mine is 2 weeks today and yes you are right about the holiday convincing me that I am doing the right thing on the 28th.Although we had fun and I did as much as I could it was a little frustrating only being able to just do the excursions involving minimal walking with other mobility challenged passengers.Like most of us on here I love walking and being active and can't wait to get back to being normal.I did have some good days at the start of the cruise when I actually thought that I wouldn't need the op after all.How easily I am duped but the pain returned on the second week and is bad again today.I am so glad that you feel ready for your surgery which will soon be over.
 
@CricketHip
Yeah, yeah, the Piriformis is doing very well. It's never bothered me. The only pain I have ever experienced is predominantly in the groin. On occasion I have felt mild pain in the outer part of the knee and in the lower buttocks (I always say that word like Tom Hanks says it in Fortest Gump...lol).
I'm very excited for you! it's high time you get that pain behind you so you can run around amusing all your friends and family (somehow that's how I see you)! :heehee:
 
@Kim22
The cafe we were in was located on a corner and her driver stopped for the signal, so I was able to get a good look at her. I started waving like mad and I'll be darn if she didn't nod her head and smile at me...it was quite exciting!

Yes, I feel so blessed to have private insurance and if or when I need it, as my surgeon said, it's but a phone call away. Your health system thoroughly confused me, I must say!
 
It is confusing but the great benefit is that health care is free of charge to all who need it even if you have to wait for some treatments.We had private medical insurance through my husbands employer but he retired about a year before my hip problems started which is typical but that's life so they say.
 
@Kim22
It sounds as if you have timed your second THR well! So, if you need to wait to get an exam with a surgeon and for a surgery time, how does it work when you come down with a case of the flu or something like pneumonia? Meaning you can't wait weeks for that sort of appt, right?
@Cynthia777 Are you still taking one vicodin daily? Do you do any walking or biking with your PT sessions? I am very interested in your rehab. :fingersx:
and.....You are so right! I do like running around and amusing the family and friends. :giggle: good call!
 
@CricketHip
My PT starts with stretching of my leg with knees bent (laying on my side). Man can I feel it in the front of my thighs! Then it's time for the bike for 6 minutes (I only do a 2 resistance and I bike about a mile). Next I lay on a machine that has a shuttle (if you know what this is) on it and push back and forth for 7 minutes (not sure what resistance it's set on). Finally it's time for the infamous BOSU Ball and I do 10 squats, rest for a second and repeat these for two minutes. Then I wave good-bye and get the heck out of there! I am never sore afterwards either. I'm thinking about buying an exercise bike to use on my off days, but I'm a very undisciplined person and am not sure if I'll use it. Lol!

Somehow I just knew you were a kick! ;-)
 
Wow! Sounds like you're getting a good workout. It's great that you are not sore afterwards. It also sounds like your PT guy is doing right by you. :)
 
Sounds like a very good workout.. You ARE doing well!! my goodness if I tried to squat, even on level ground? I would fall in a very unglamorous and unfeminine way. :bored:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom