TKR I have a new knee!

Yesterday my scar was smarting alot, and I thought of you right away! :) I think it was just a bad day! Hugs!
 
I hope that your scar feels better today. Isn't it funny the weird little things that we feel lately? You know, mine doesn't hurt one bit, it was just very tight. I did some reading and asking around. My friend's sister had her knee replaced the day after I did. He said that she has been using silicone gel since the beginning. I was so careful not to put anything on my scar at the beginning, and then only used organic coconut oil. I was afraid of of using anything because of infection, and now I'm playing catch up to get some elasticity in the scar skin. I will tell you that when I showed him my scar, he cringed and said his sister's was a thin faded white line and sure didn't look like mine. :rotfl: The bottom of my scar is pretty normal. It it the scar on and above the knee that looks hypertrophic. Hugs!!!
 
Nyland, the part of my scar above the knee has always been redder than the part on the knee and below, funnily enough. Don't know what it means though...........

Hope your tightness continues to improve with the silicone.
 
Hi Kathy!
I think that it is helping, although it could be mind over matter as it isn't supposed to work that quickly. :heehee: How are you doing, my friend? How is it going now that you are back to work? Take care!!!
 
Work isn't too bad, thank you Nyland. Still need to sort myself out a stool for under my desk to prop the leg up onto, as this dangling isn't good. Getting up and having a bit of a walk round every now and again to stop the stiffness. But on the whole, I can't really complain.
 
Do you have any discount department stores where you live? Here we have a place called target. They have small, and very inexpensive ottomans that will fit under your desk. I still have to get up and walk around to loosen the tightness.
 
I have one of those small ottomans, and it works great under my desk at home! What I like is that the one I have is hollow inside so you can put things in it!
 
Knee update:
Tomorrow my knee will be 6 months old update: Feeling goooood! Tightness has subsided dramatically this past month. The tightness that I felt in my scar has been alleviated substantially by the silicone strips that I have been wearing on my scar. WOW, what a difference. I'm truly believing now that I will be one of those people that thinks this was the best thing I could have done. (I know, I never thought that I'd say that, either!) If my knee continues to heal and feel better in the next 6 months, as it has done in the past 3 months, I won't even know that I ever had knee surgery. For those just behind me, good things are right around the corner!

My niece's husband update:
Things were looking pretty bad these past couple of weeks. Really bad. Multiple Organ failure, platelet count down to 40,00 with plasmapheresis, transfusions, frozen platelets (a low count is considered 150,000 and below!), psychosis, double pneumonia, ARDS, TTP, 2 additional surgeries, uncontrolled bleeding, and severe psychosis....and then on Wednesday, he sat up on his own for 3 minutes! Yes, the same man that has been in a coma for the better part of the last 6 weeks. He still has MOF, double pneumonia, ARDS, TTP, and ICU Psychosis...BUT, he is getting better. Today, he wrote this on the clip board: Miracle? I sure think so!
1/24/13
The best of day is loving my Kelly and kids. And the sun on my face.
[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
 
Nyland, I'm so happy that you feel like this was a worthwhile operation for you, life is good when we feel good! I wish you continued success!

Wow, your niece's hubby had a heartfelt message! I wish him continued success! :thumb:
 
Jackie, my positive friend, THANK YOU! I told my husband that we should go to Mohegan Sun some weekend. His reply was that could be a lot of walking. I told him that I was up for it. It's funny, even though i still have a bad knee, it seems that even that is better. Hope all is well with you. Brrrrrrrrrr, it sure is cold out there!
 
Nyland, I love Mohegan Sun! We haven't been there in over two year, because of the knees, but I am so itching to go! :thumb: The casino is a fun place and we both love the video poker machines! We can sit at those darn machine for hours! When we lived in Bristol We'd get a room at Best Western in Uncasville and they would transport us from the hotel to the casino and back, no worries if you've had a few drinks! Loved it and a lot of fun! Now with the new knees, we're ready again! :thumb: Yes kiddo, it is cold here!
 
It is fun. The last time we went was a few years ago. My son said to us, "Watch this." He's so cute. He had a giggle in his voice. He gave his wife some money and parked her at a penny or nickel machine. (some sort of game that she knew how to play.) He told us to find a seat and sit back and enjoy. We got drinks and sat and waited. Oh my goodness, We had so much fun watching her. Hooting and hollering like she was a millionaire. Her machine would ding, buzz and light up, and she'd have herself her own hallelujah party. We laughed so much, I ached on my way home. That was so much fun! Oh yes, I'm really looking forward to going again. :martini:
 
Paul had an interesting night! The ICU psychosis was in full swing. He called 911 (for those not in the US, a call to 911 is an emergency call that goes straight to the police.) to help him get out of the hospital. :sigh:
 
Ohhhh, poor guy! When my mother-in-law was ICU and they let us in to see her, she was soooo scared, she kept saying that the people in the hallway were aliens and to be very quiet or they will take us all away. It was very sad because they really and truly believe that someone is going to do them harm. Norm would laugh, not realizing how serious this was, and I shot him a set of eyes that meant, I will do you harm if you don't straighten out!, he then saw the seriousness of it all. They can give themselves a heart attack, being that afraid!
I hope he's okay!
 
Oh goodness the last time I was in the hospital for my Crohns, I had a strange episode like that. They had given me a bunch of meds for a colonoscopy, the meds caused me to freak out. It took seeing my niece and brother to calm me back down. It was kinda scary. Hoping Paul is okay! Hugs!
 
We brought groceries and a check (to help with the bills) to my niece tonight. All she said was that today was a horrible day and that she would tell me about it tomorrow. The poor darlin' didn't have the strength to hold her head up. This is a roller coaster ride, but he is recovering. Thank you for the kind words, support, and hugs. Happy weekend everyone!
 
I'm glad that I had my right knee replaced, but it looks unlikely that I'll be able to get my left knee replaced in the time that I had planned. I just may need to have it replaced in the very near future…or not at all. It is a big surgery and I had so many infections right after. This was on our nightly, main stream media news yesterday. The headlines were that in the very near future (as in this year!), having any surgery just may be a death sentence due to antibiotic resistant bacteria. Also, here in the US, the FDA is getting involved with limiting pain management medicine. My surgeon was already stingy and unreasonable when it came to pain medication. I don't think that I'd want to have the surgery without adequate pain management.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/25/antibiotic-resistant-disease-crisis_n_2551249.html
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2013-01-expert-resistance-antibiotics-apocalyptic.html#jCp
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/...cting-hydrocodone-products-vicodin.html?_r=1&
 
Back
Top Bottom