TKR I have a new knee!

[Bonesmart.org] I have a new knee!
This is such wonderful news---thanks so much for sharing it with us. Will keep praying for continued recovery. God bless you all.
 
That is AMAZING news! I am so happy for you all! I hope he has a speedy full recovery!
 
Woohoo! May there continue to be many blessings heaped on Paul for a full healing! :SUNsmile:
 
Thank you so much for all of the prayers and kind words. Yesterday was such a great news day, that we have to remind ourselves that this is a long journey....a roller coaster journey. Blood work today showed a dramatic drop in levels, so he needed additional blood transfusions. His calcium levels were so low he has an IV of calcium....his blood sugars are too high so they started insulin......his heart rate dropped so they added back another IV for that.
Tomorrow is his birthday. Fingers crossed that after another round of plasmapheresis the news is good.

My new knee? Is starting to LOOK a bit more normal! I had asked the OS when it would look less bulky and more pointy like my other knee. He said never........but, I'm looking at it right now and is more pointy than bulky! The numbness is just about gone. The only thing that i have noticed, and just this past week, is that my scar feels tight. I've been rubbing it down with organic coconut oil and stretching out the tightness. Not really that big of a deal, just something I noticed.

Again, thanks!
 
Nyland, all we can do is keep praying and hope for the best! :beg: I hope he's got the doctors and that they are on top of things, which it seems like that is the case! :thumb: Best wishes to the family!

I'm so happy to hear your new knee is getting better! The scar on my right knee (Minnie) is still tight as well, but it sure beats the pain both knees felt before my BTKR! It's nice that you're seeing progress!

Stay well my BoneSmartie friend! :friends:
 
Hi Jacky!
You know, I think my niece has second guessed her choice of hospitals, but, I honestly and truly think that he is at the perfect place. He has all teams right in the ICU. His hemonc doc is from Dana Farber, the pulmonolgists have incredible credentials and everyone on the team is fighting with/for him. He's been in the ICU on the vent for 5 weeks. Another hospital would be trying to free the bed...getting him to the floor or a nursing home.......this team is compassionately patient.
As for the tight scar, I thought about trying the scar silicone strips, but they would last about 5 minutes. I use my knee and bend and stretch it way too much for them to stay in place. :heehee: Micky and Minnie may be twins, but they definitely have their own personalities.
Thanks again for the prayers, kindness, and support.
Looks like a gorgeous spring-like weekend. ENJOY!!!
 
Oh Nyland I am so sorry about what you and your family are going through. Was Paul a healthy man to start or did he have some health issues? How these things sometimes happen is just heartbreaking. I am glad he is alert now but all systems are affected...so that's sure a good sign he's alert. You are right it will take a while for him to be strong again. I hope they are keeping him out of pain. I wish we could all help with the family! Its too bad we have our geographical issues, we could be bring meals. Does she have lots of support?
Okay now when you have knee #2 done you will be 21 again! i am so excited for you looking so great! At least there is some good news in your life right now...so please enjoy it!
This taught me something Nyland. In our group, we get used to hearing from everyone. After all the support I have received from you and all my friends, I think it's important for me to keep up with things not just for me, but for my friends! That's how I feel about me anyway. I am so sorry I wasn't up on your thread. I will keep Paul and your family in my prayers for his complete recovery, to his lovely lumberjack status. I agree this will be a long recovery. I also pray that he has disabilty so that the family is not in harms way financially. Your niece is amazing. She must be so exhausted.
About your scar, my PT used to massage mine, she would use some kind of cream and would work it back and forth across the incision not the long way. She would have fingers on each side of the incision line and push it from both sides. It felt good, wasn't a painful massage. Are you doing that?
Take good care. I hope this weekend is a good one for Paul and pray that he turns the corner.
XOXOXO Marianne
 
Hi Marianne,
Thank you so much for the sweet and thoughtful message. What a sweetheart you are!
Paul was SO healthy. He thought he had a cold and and then BAM, knocked him off of his feet. The social worker gave my niece the paperwork to apply for disability for him. She was over whelmed. I called a SW at my hospital to ask about the paperwork. She made a call and an angel at my hospital agreed to file all of the paperwork for her online. If she were to fill out the forms and submit them, she would then be sent release forms for each provider to fill out and to document Paul's illness. This person can access his medical records and do everything in one application. That was a big help. As for support, no, just us and very wonderful friends. Her parents moved away years ago live their own lives. I don't even want to go there........
My PT did that massage, too. Yes, I try to do that with the coconut oil. I'm not sure how good I am at it, and probably should do it more often.
Again, thank you for the kind message. You're awesome!
 
Nyland, I catch up in spurts, so just read the roller-coaster about your nieces husband. I do hope he pulls through this! What a crazy spiral down!
 
Hi Janet,
Thank you for the well wishes and positive thoughts. No worries about explaining about catching up. I so understand. I do the same. How are you doing? How are your knees? My OLD knee hurt like the dickens in bed last night, but it was like a revelation! My NEW knee was absolutely fine. Happy New Year, my friend!

Hi Gail,
Thank you for the prayers. I honestly and truly believe that is what is keeping him alive. The TTP alone gave him 10% survival rate. When you put everything else in the mix, well, it seems like a miracle to me. The one thing that makes me tear up in joy is that he is awake and wants to see his son. So, tell me, my friend, how are you doing? Are you feeling better? How's that new knee? Behaving?

Hugs and thanks to you BOTH!
 
Nyland, I have a cold but I will live. My knee is starting to do that 4 month thing you talked about. Just taking me a bit longer. But I do see some positives of late. Less swelling, and I am not having has much difficulty getting started walking now after sitting for awhile. And the stairs are getting easier.

I honestly think that PT was doing me more harm than good. I was always SOOO miserable the day after PT and so achey. But since I have stopped, I feel the knee is recuperating better. Still have a few minor issues, but overall I think the knee is heading in the right direction. I see my OS again in late Feb or early March, and I am hoping it improves even more so I can prove him wrong. I am not going to have any further surgery on this knee if I can help it. A MUA maybe, but that would be it. But to tell you the truth, I think within time, the knee will get where it needs to be with just my daily living activites. Hugs!
 
Gail, I so agree about the PT! I think that because we have autoimmune disease and inflammation is a big problem for us, the usual PT hurts more than it helps. I think I got a bit lucky when I showed up at my one week OS appointment looking like I had elephantitis. My OS was shocked and concerned. Once he made sure there were no blood clots he sent me home with strict orders and a PT prescription for ONLY gentle stretches. I have stuck to that plan and things are coming along. When you feel tight, do you stretch? I'll but my foot up on a chair or anything that is available and gently stretch out the stiffness. Take care of yourself! Those colds have been lasting forever and turning into coughs. I have never in my life heard so many people coughing.
I am so glad that you are feeling some relief. Things should only get better.
 
Nyland I do alot of my stretching at night. I use a heating pad under the knee and once its warmed up I stretch and it feels sooo good. I think that is helping my straightening alot. My husband grabs my ankle too and pulls, and I stretch really good while he pulls. That feels awesome. And of course I do the knee dangle that Brownie's OS told her about. I am honestly not going crazy on exercising. I think my daily living is really helping alot itself. Hugs!
 
Hello BS friends. As i have told you, my scar is tight. It gets tighter and tighter. It was a thinner light pink scar that has turned progressively redder, thicker, and more purple. No infection, but very lumpy. I thought that it was a keloid scar, but after perusing pictures and descriptions, I'm pretty convinced that it is probably a hypertrophic scar. It is so tight that when I bend my knee, and i have to so often now because of the scar, it Vs right at the bend. I'm thinking of trying silicone sheets, but where I need it most, wouldn't be conducive to the silicone sheet. So, has anyone dealt with this? Any tips/suggestions? Thanks!
 
Back
Top Bottom