Guest viewing is limited

THR I am titanium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I saw my OS today. He seems to think that my problem is an injury to the TFL (Tensor Fasciae Latae). Apparently it gets move around a lot during surgery. :cry: He says the implant looks good and he thinks it is muscular, so back to PT for me. He wants stretching and strengthening, but only strengthening to the point of pain. On the one hand I am happy that the NSAIDS help the pain a lot. I am unhappy because boy can I feel it when they wear off. :/ Just wondering if @Josephine has any suggestions for me?
 
@calikat glad you finally got an answer to where your pain is coming from and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope you feel better soon and are pain free soon as well.
 
Hi @calikat I am so glad you now know what is causing your pain and you have a plan to deal with it.I am in a similar position asI saw my OS last Friday and he thinks that my problem is due to psoas tendinitis.I am having an ultrasound in January to confirm this.I feel so much better having seen him and knowing that the implant is fine.I have started stretching and exercising again.I was loath to do so until I knew that there were no major concerns.
 
@Kim22 I am not sure if we really have a plan other than to wait and see if it gets better. It was extremely bad last night.
 
Are you icing it in the evenings? That might help calm it down before bed.
 
@calikat, sorry to hear about the extra trouble you're having. At least you know where it's coming from and can hopefully strengthen it up quickly ;-)

All in due time! Remember that each of us reacts to this procedure very differently. It is unfortunate you are having these extra problems but just remember, someday soon you will be trucking around like nobody's business! It won't be long, just put your time in with PT, and you be just fine.




Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@calikat well, it sure has been an uphill struggle for you
I hope you'll soon plateau and it will be so much easier soon
i'll be watching your posts
d
 
Hi Calikat. Sally's situation is a difficult one, and it certainly reminds us all to maintain perspective. But it also doesn't negate the fact that soft tissue issues are painful and take a lot of patience to resolve. So you get to do your fair share of complaining too. Coming here and complaining while you problem-solve strikes me as a healthy way to cope. :)

So....soft tissue pain....did you switch to tylenol on a very consistent basis, as Jo suggested? Is that helping? Also, you've returned to work. Working AND PT is not exactly resting the inflamed tissues. What else are you doing, activity-wise? Housework, running errands, etc? Stay very attuned to how you feel during and after PT. Try to eliminate every activity that isn't crucial. You need plenty of rest-time to balance the work and PT. You are only 3 months out from surgery, and while that's enough for most of us to get back into real life, it's still also very early in the full recovery process....which truly can take up to two full years. From what I'm reading, a TFL problem sounds a lot like IT band syndrome. No fun to go through, but definitely something that you will get past.
ITB (ilio-tibial band) issues and treatments

Sharon
 
Wanted to wish everyone a very happy holiday! I am out of commission for a bit since I had a thumb arthroplasty and carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand yesterday, but I wanted to express my gratitude to all of my fellow BoneSmarties! Thanks for all the support!

:bells::huggy santa::ereindeer::kitty chris::reindeer::snow dig::xmas-1::xmas-kitty::xmas-tree:
 
Hi, @calikat ... wow, thumb and hand surgery on top of everything else. I'm sorry for all of the things you are coping with and all at the same time. We are thinking of you and pulling for you. Post when you can, but don't push it. Hang in there.
 
@Josephine The following is what my surgical report says:

IMPLANT:
Medacta Versafit size 46mm outer diameter acetabular shell with 32 mm inner diameter neutral acetabular liner and Ammos size 1 collared stem and 32 -4 or S-Delta ceramic head.

My OS said it would be metal /ceramic. I am feeling nervous and a little frightened about all of these weird rashes/reactions I am having. I have stopped all medications other than the Benadryl. Do you have any thoughts?
 
[Bonesmart.org] I am titanium!
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] I am titanium!
bottomshollow
 
@calikat It's been a few since I checked in, glad to hear you made it through your thumb and carpel tunnel surgery, how are you doing? How is the TFL? Are you still having pain?

I want to wish you a Happy New year and I hope that 2014 is a great year for all of us! Cheers!! :cheers:
 
Hi and Happy New Year, @calikat ... I hope your recovery from the hand surgery is going okay. Very sorry
to read about your rash(es) and hope you get so answers soon.
Here is to 2014 bringing us all closer to our hopes and dreams. Take care, and let us hear from you when you are able to.
 
@sunsetbiking and @Peaches Hello! Thanks for stopping by. Happy 2014 to you! My wrist and thumb are doing very well. I got my cast off on Monday, 6 days after surgery. My hand surgeon was even surprised at how fast it is healing! I will now wear a splint for the next three weeks. Unfortunately I cannot say the same about my hip. I can no longer deny to myself that something is wrong. When I went off the NSAIDS for the 7 days prior to my hand surgery, I found out just how much pain I was actually in. Three days ago I had to go back on pain medication for my hip...not my hand. I am taking NSAIDS twice a day along with Ultracet 2 to 3 times a day to manage the pain. NSAIDS or ultracet alone are not enough. I have tried to ice my hip, but it is causing a very strange type of reaction...welts and intense itching. I have tried just plain ice in case I had developed some type of allergy to the material in the ice pack, but the reaction is the same.

The daily rashes are still present on and off. I don't have them when I wake, but after about 30 minutes of walking around they start to appear. They seem to be related to activity/movement in my hip. I discussed it with my hand surgeon. He actually saw them the morning of my surgery. They came...increased in intensity, and then diminished while I was lying on the prep table. He almost cancelled the surgery, but when they disappeared he went forward an hour behind schedule. At my follow up on Monday, he encouraged me to follow through with the metal sensitivity testing. He said unfortunately there is a small percentage of people who have problems with the metal implants. He did put a screw in my hand, but he said it was made of dissolvable material and not metal. I have an appointment with an allergist on Friday and my OS the following week. He is currently out of town. I am trying to stay off the benadryl, as I know that can interfere with allergy testing, but I am very itchy. I find the whole thing so disappointing, but I will say that I have known from the beginning that something was not quite right. I am trying to develop a plan of action. Hopefully I will know more after I meet with the allergist.
 
NSAIDS or ultracet alone are not enough
Presuming that the Ultracet is the Tramadol without acetaminophen, I suggest you take Tylenol 1,000mg with the Ultracet up to 4 times a day. They make an excellent companion pair.

But how much Ultracet are you taking at a time? 50mg or 100?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom