Guest viewing is limited

THR I am titanium!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at more surgery either way I believe. Thank you for the kind words.
 
Calikat, did you have a known allergy to metal (usually nickel)? I do - can't wear most jewelry and talked to OS about it - They made sure my implant has no nickel - the practice has had one woman with allergic reaction to nickel (unknown to her previously ) and when they had to re-do hers they changed to the kind I got and she had no more issues. There is hope it can work even though it's a setback...
 
@charmed-life Thank you for the response. I think I mentioned that I had a problem with earrings, but the OS did not seem concerned. I have never been formally tested because I just never wear jewelry. I should have been more insistent. I never thought too much about it. I should have been more of an advocate for myself.
 
I know - I almost didn't think of it at first either but then called to make sure I checked on whether it would be a problem - and they looked into it
 
I am mad at myself for not really thinking about it, but "Shoulda, woulda, coulda" as they say. Do you know what type of symptoms that the woman had? Not that it really matters now. I am just curious. Again I really appreciate your comments regarding this situation @charmed-life . What type of implant did you get?
 
I have read that rashes or just pain can be the symptom - I almost didn't think of it either. I can't recall what mine was - called but can check. I know they said no nickel...
 
@calikat I am so sorry to hear that you may have an infection or a metal allergy and that which ever one it is has caused you so much pain.As you said you knew that something was wrong within your hip joint.You do seem to have a very good medical team which is positive and once they know the exact cause then they can work with your OS to deal with it.Did you say that you are seeing the OS next week ? I will be thinking of you
 
Hi @Kim22 The allergist/immunologist is leaning more towards it being a metal problem, but wants to rule out infection. I guess symptoms can sometimes be similar. I am seeing my OS next week so hopefully I will know more then.
 
Oh, @calikat ... I am so sorry! This is just one of those horrible bad luck of the draw situations. I think you should stop beating yourself up. Yes, you sensed something was wrong, but that doesn't mean you were negligent. How on earth could you or any of us keep track of the myriad sensations, aches, pains, etc., sometimes or often experienced with this surgery? We can't. And even when we do ask or report everything, we often get a "Oh, it's okay." You have taken the bull by the horns about the rashes and are now on your way to getting some answers. I I am just so sorry you have to deal with all of this. I have zero knowledge of course or advice ... other than to stay in touch with everyone here and please know we are pulling for you and sending healing thoughts your way. Be good to yourself. Be as nice to yourself as you would be to someone else. Take care.
 
Things I read before surgery were divided about allergies anyway, all you can do is follow your doctor's advice. The real thing here is that you are not letting them pooh-pooh it into nothing! You will get it worked out!
 
@calikat
how awful. but it certainly isn't your fault. no one asked me about it..they asked if I was allergic to medication, but apparently they should ask this too. maybe you wouldn't know if you never had a reaction but I did. always used to change the buckle on watch bands to titanium. so I sent an email just now to the dr's secretary and will call in the morning. thanks @charmed-life for that info. and @calikat, so sorry. I hope it gets resolved soon. clearly it should be part of the protocol, to ask.
 
Thanks everyone. I have been feeling a bit blue about the whole thing today. I appreciate the support.
 
Aw Calikat, truly a bummer. I'm just glad your doctor is helping you get to the source of the problem quickly. We see folks here who spends several precious years getting to the point where you are now. Hope the worst gets behind you quickly so you can start moving forward again.

Sharon
 
@calikat - one step at a time honey, we are all hoping that you have a positive chat with your OS. I agree with Sharon, it is good that your medical team are moving quickly, although I imagine it seems like an eternity to you... We are here for you :)
 
Thank you both @Poppet and @sharonslp. I don't imagine that this is really a quick fix type of thing, and I have a feeling that I will be in limbo for a bit. I am ok with that. I just want to see what all the testing reveals.
 
Oh, calicat, what rotten luck. But I also think you are lucky to have a knowledgeable allergist on your side, and I hope they figure this out and deal with it quickly so you can get your groove back.

I admire the way you are handling this with grace, good humor, and an intelligent approach. You've been your own best advocate. And your posting here will help others.
 
That's a shame. Perhaps just try cold wraps instead of actual ice?
 
I cannot @Josephine. Anything cold in temperature causes the rash/hives. This morning you should have seen my hands in the early morning...bright red itchy rash broke out all over until my car warmed up. It is a good thing I live in SoCal. I cannot imagine how bad it would be in really cold climates. I starte Zyrtec to help with the hives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom