THR How am I doing?<

Hi @Wave Hog
Well....let's tag her and see what she @Josephine thinks. Then she can also read your Thank You, to her.
She's away for a couple of days but she'll get back to you upon her return. May take her a short time to catch up.
Hope you have a great day!
 
Thanks, Layla,
You're always so kind. Have a great day!
 
@Wave Hog how is it going with the walking now and did you use the Voterol in the end. Hope you are well and enjoying your weekend :-)
 
Greetings, it is now 4 weeks out for me, I check this forum each day for support and to remind myself to take it slow. Once I could start bearing full weight on the operated side, my “good” hip (which will eventually need replacement) acted up like a spoiled toddler! In fact, the left side became the good side, almost overnight. What the heck! So I’ve been doing the muscle strengthening PT exercises on both sides. My non-op side was/is not as workable, but it’s getting there slowly. I think I’ll just keep with this until I’m off crutches and in out patient PT.
Stay strong and have a good weekend!
 
I did just a few exercises this morning (ankle pumps, heel drags, and glute and thigh squeezes) to get moving and things feel pretty good but still a little shaky without the cane. I feel I need to do these exercises now that I’m off the blood thinner in order to improve circulation.
I feel like a taking a walk
You don't need to do any exercises! Did you miss this in amongst your recover guidelines?

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I saw Josephine post somewhere on here that the Diclofenac doesn't work, according to studies.
I think that would be about diclofenac GEL!
I’m living proof Ibuprofen can hurt you and it is recommended not to take it in maximum doses for more than 2 weeks straight.
I've been campaigning about NSAIDs for years on here though there are some that are kind of okay like Mobic and Naproxen. But my understanding is that even a couple of doses can cause problems. Read these
Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers
NSAIDs Diclofenac. ibuprofen increase risk of heart problems: new study

I wanted to thank Josephine about her comments regarding the inflammatory issues
Thank you - you're too kind!
 
Thank you for the replies, SurreyGirl, Atkinson, and Josephine.
I never gave the Voterol a try. The now bad hip is better with rest and I want to keep moving just doing natural movements but it does get sore after a while. I’ll at least do the pre-op exercises as I can on the bad hip and not worry about the operated side for a while. I’m thinking of mowing our small lawn this week and try to at least work in some house chores just to keep moving...
 
Hi @Wave Hog Was just reading your thread and see you're having the very familiar forgotten hip syndrome. As one who just went through some unnecessarily hard times due to the Unoperated hip pain taking a sharp downturn during recovery of the operated side, I wanted to caution you on the next few months ahead --based on so many stories here and on my own.

For some reason we aren't warned about the likely scenario post-THR, when the other hip -also known as the evil twin -is also arthritic. That is that the recovery of the operated side is going to, for the first month in any case, place so much undue pressure on that other side, and rely so heavily on weight-bearing support from that other side, It only stands to reason it is in the danger zone for a speedy deterioration. But it takes us by surprise because we can go 3-4 weeks upping walk times and feeling so much progress on operated leg - then all of a sudden... It stops and the other leg in pain says: no more steps. Seemingly fast. It is what it is and makes perfect sense since that leg is shouldering (hipping?) all that extra burden of weight and pressure during early weeks out, but it takes you by surprise if you're not looking for it or weren't forewarned.

What I learned the hard way and too late was to pull back on activities as soon as the forgotten hip snaps at you, listen closely and do NOT ignore it. I did and forged ahead, adding steps to meet some walk quota and in doing so brought the week right hip to its knees, literally! Had to spend most of the pre op time before hip #2 laid up, unable to walk from the pain. You can probably avoid that, as you wisely already did, by simply not pushing it. I was already at bone on bone on right when I pushed ahead rather than retreating. Don't do that please! We want to see you walking freely into surgery #2 and not hobbling or being wheeled. Hope this helps! I wish I'd have known.

Lastly, Blue Zones, fascinating topic! I've looked into as well in the past. I'm sure you're familiar with Icaria? In Greece? Extremely long lifespans, into 90s common, uber healthy lifestyles ...but not exactly what one would expect! The global lifespan data is always interesting to me.

Take care of your forgotten hip and listen for any squeaks or squawks!
 
then all of a sudden... It stops and the other leg in pain says: no more steps. Seemingly fast.

Quite true for me. I've mentioned this before, but around 12 weeks after my 1st surgery, I took a trip to Ireland. Spent part of one afternoon walking around Belfast, basically just strolling and taking it easy. After a few hours, my new hip was doing fantastic! Old hip, not so much. It decided to ramp up the pain. Thankfully the worst of it really hit as we were heading back to the hotel for the evening. It was a rough night, and thankfully the next day was scheduled to be a driving day.

Once the new hip settles in and the pain on that side has dissipated, it seems like your brain finally catches up and remembers "Oh yeah, I still have another bad hip!! Let me remind you of it now!"
 
At least you got a good days sightseeing in @dlp before it went rogue! I think it's the extra burden that leg has to bear during recovery of the op leg that causes it to crumble so quickly, but you're right about how enthralled we get with new hip progress that we ignore the twin! We're basically asking an already beat up joint to suddenly take on the job of 2 good joints and support nearly the entire body for a few weeks. It's like asking your 105 yr old grandfather the help you move households but you're just going to drive the moving van :)
 
It's so true @1stSurgery and @dlp In my case I had a bit of warning as the morning I went in for left hip operation the right hip was actually more painful. I had the sense to tell the registrar and they x rayed both before my discharge so the consultant knew it was bad at my 7 weeks check up. Stupidly I made mine worse quite early on by trying some nasty recommended exercises. No trust in physiotherapists any more now!
I keep thinking I should do more walking to benefit the new hip but I'm also aware old hip is bone on bone and won't benefit. So hard getting the balance. And I hate the thought of mainly sitting about until the New Year! Wish I could sleep properly though. Strangely it's my right knee and sometimes the left which wake me most in bed.
 
You all hit the nail on the head. It’s like hitting a brick wall on the road to recovery when the evil twin shows it’s ugly head...
Thanks for the replies 1stSurgery, dlp, and bickeypeg. It was so exciting to get out and about and now it’s back to the recliner but the work keeps piling up. For the last two Saturday’s, I ODIC cooking for our church’s annual fund raiser Saturday the 22nd and was just a mess for three or more days afterwards and then, of course, I felt a bit better and made the mistake of inviting some visiting out of town relatives over last Saturday. Just general clean up of the house and cooking a meal has put me back in the recliner and no mood to hobble to work today. It’s seems like it is always the second day after ODIC is the worst or is it just a Monday blues thing too?

Have a great week everyone as it can only get better from here...

Peace,

Wavehog
 
I've heard second day many times.
Still early days when you consider the life of those prosthetics you're sportin.
Take it slow, healing is still happening.
I hope you have a good week! :)
@Wave Hog
 
@bickypeg Don't you wish we'd have been warned about it though? I think if I had, I would not have pushed so hard to walk more in weeks 3-4 and probably not have had to be in such pain waiting for the OS to have an opening. Spilled milk I guess but would be a nice gesture for the surgeons to gently remind patients that the twin might act up during recovery.
 
Even worse @1stSurgery when I told the Registrar on admission that right hip was actually more painful that morning he said having the one repaired could take the strain off the other. But then what could he do at that stage? And they did Xray both after the op and the consultant agreed at my follow up it needed replacing. But even he suggested as the new one got stronger the bad one might be easier. I think it's more the other way round that the bad hip is preventing me doing things which would help strengthen the new one. But I can't really think what else they could have said that wouldn't have seemed very negative. And aftercare was very much in the hands of the physios who were lovely but only focused on helping new hip.
 
Poor @Wave Hog it is depressing when you feel good and fit enough to do nice things. And then back to ODIC club the next day!Par for the course I'm afraid! You'll have to be a patient patient. At the beginning I was so excited to have relatives visit but I soon found I'd had enough.And I certainly couldn't be bothered with friends! But it will get better...:elevate:
 
Who knew? My good hip/leg also deteriorated once I could start bearing weight on the operated hip. I’ve compared it to a spoiled toddler feeling neglected after the new baby is brought home, but painful and debilitating. I’m about 4 1/2 weeks post op on left hip, and for the last 5 days I’ve been unable to bend my right knee even to get into the car. I feel my right hip catch as I walk. It became my new “bad” leg. I do know it’s arthritic, but it supported me heroically those weeks when I was not full weight bearing.

Today is a bit better and I’m encouraged, I’ve been doing the gentle flex muscle exercises a few times a day, modified on the right side. Left side is the new champ! Now my knee bends more and I’m moving more comfortably. My plan is to take it easy for a few days, ice, elevate, and treat both legs like their in need of equal attention.
 
I don't really need a cane now except for first thing in the morning but like to take it with me to the shops and when out and about for a bit of confidence and hopefully sympathy :swoon:But I am thinking it would be more useful changing hands and supporting the old 'not good' hip now plus giving my painful right shoulder a break. It does take a while still to get my balance when I get out of a chair and this is 10 weeks on.
 
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm ditching the cane more often than not now but started using it to support the evil twin. Then I think to myself, "am I now putting too much undue strain on the new hip by changing cane hands"? Should I just forget about long walks? I need the exercise and want to be strong for November 13th. It's seams to be a double edged sword. Either side will cut you...
Perhaps the water class at the local gym will do me good?

Peace
 
@Atkinson8 Exactly when it happened to me, week 4-5! I think maybe, in their already weakened state, that may be about all those other-side hips are equipped to handle before parts begin to "fall apart". One month holding up the whole apparatus. I remember my OS using those very words when I asked him, after bone on bone diagnosis, how long I might be able to wait before doing the surgery? He said, Well, you don't want to go too long and fall apart....

And of course I proceeded to do just that! Wait too long... fall apart.

You can see this very same story repeated all over the forum. The twin forgotten hip rears its ugly (femoral) head around week 4 of recovery of other hip, and usually does not shut up from that point on. And in each case each hippy seems taken by surprise. That's why I think it would be a good thing for the OS's to give patients a heads up before surgery. ( Lots of heads references in hip discussions! ) :) And warn them that it is a possible scenario they will feel deterioration in the supporting non-op hip after several weeks into recovery.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom