THR How am I doing?<

Hi again! Today is my 6th week anniversary. Did 1/2 mile yesterday with just one crutch and it all felt rather strange. I definitely preferred the security of two!

Concentrated on heel toe with smallish steps and even managed a small slope which I found very intimidating at the time. Apart from stiffness getting out of bed first thing when I use a crutch for safety I find that I am walking around the house more without one. Will try another walk today and also catching up with my Physio

Hope things are going well for you and try to stay out of the ODIC!
 
Congrats on your 6 weeks post op., SurreyGirl! I’m with you on walking around the house without support and am trying here and there but it just doesn’t feel right yet. I had more pain last night than I have had in a few days. Perhaps it was all the walking the last three days? So, we’ll take it easy today and do some light chores around the house and rest, ice, and elevate. No ODIC is the way as you say...

Peace
 
Sounds like all the walking did cause you a problem. Be careful.!
 
Yes, SurreyGirl. I’m reclined, toes above the nose, iced, and listening to some slack key guitar music at this exact time...
 
Well read the update on my thread. Not happy ! Icing up and resting too and wish I had read the advice here about resistance bands. OUCH!
 
Hi, SurreyGirl, Sorry about the pain you’re experiencing. Steps forward and then a step back but know you’re progressing. Keep your goal in mind and that’s gliding over some coral reef in the midst of all those colorful fish. I day dream about doing all those fun activities I liked to do before this disability and find it gives me hope. Trying to forget about work for a while too but that’s not easy as I really enjoy most aspects of the job except the dang paperwork and regulations...
I’m off to bed now and praying for a relatively pain free night...Hopefully, I will be able to go for a walk and work on some of the home PT exercises I should be doing tomorrow. I feel like I’ve progressed quite a bit since stopping the PT a bit more than a week ago but have to try...

Peace
 
Useful to know. I think I will get our my Jacques Cousteau and blue planet videos. Agree it is a minor setback in the scheme of things but infuriating. Sleep well. I recommend Jean Michel Jarres “Cousteau Remastered” to drift off to. Works for me zzzz
 
Hi there :wave:
Sounds like you're doing pretty well.
Stopping by to say Hi and wish you a Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you got the pain free nights sleep you wanted.
Best wishes for a great weekend!
@Wave Hog
 
Yay! One month out and I cannot complain and thank the lord for this day...
Thank you, Layla, for the best wishes...

I did get a pretty good night’s sleep but am still nagged by the pain over the trochanter. Not nearly as bad as the night before. I did just a few exercises this morning (ankle pumps, heel drags, and glute and thigh squeezes) to get moving and things feel pretty good but still a little shaky without the cane. I feel I need to do these exercises now that I’m off the blood thinner in order to improve circulation.

I feel like a taking a walk but miss work so, I’m going to iron a shirt, slide on some sandles and stop by the office with food for the staff. It will be interesting to see how much I walk today according to the pedometer app...

And, I will keep in mind not to overdo anything...
Thought for the day:

[Bonesmart.org] How am I doing?<
 
How thoughtful of you. I'll bet your co-workers will appreciate your treat, as well
as seeing and spending time with you. Glad your pain has eased a bit and your sleep improved.
Wishing you a repeat tonight :yawn: :sleep:
@Wave Hog
 
Oh no...I hope I didn’t ODIC? The pedometer says I walked 1512 steps for .54 of a mile in 1 hour 28 minutes of walking or vertical and burned 317 calories. How accurate are these iPhone apps.?

Right now, I don’t have any real deep pain other than the bad right hip deteriorating but both legs feel sore like I’ve been on my feet all day when one is out of shape and not accustomed to that. My energy seems OK and am not really tired overall though.

I popped a Percocet just in case which for me is 5mg Oxycodone and 325mg Tylenol and am elavating and icing for the rest of the day...

Thank goodness for handicap parking as I was able to park very close to the front doors. I went to three buildings today: the sub sandwich shop, the 3rd floor office by way of elevator ( I believe “lift” for my overseas friends ), and the pharmacy and was able to park close each time.

I went to the pharmacy to pick up some Diclofenac/Voltaren ointment for my swelling and burning pain I still have from below the anterior incision and extending towards the trochanter where my wound drain was. Now that I know more, it looks like the the surgical team punched right through my IT band! We’re going to talk about this at my 6 week post op. for sure as this drain spot has hurt since the surgery.

I told the surgeon I developed possible kidney injury from ibuprofen in our pre-op appointment. Post-op, I was written up for Mobic. Recently, I told them I’m not taking more than a one month supply of the NSAID Mobic even though they had written it for four months for fear of hurting my kidneys again. So, they prescribed the Voltaren. Does this stuff work? Can anybody tell me about this stuff or their experiences? Thank you in advance.

I’m living proof Ibuprofen can hurt you and it is recommended not to take it in maximum doses for more than 2 weeks straight. I never have had problems with my kidneys and no familiar history of kidney diseases.

Here’s what happened. About 3 or more years ago my hip pain was pretty bad and working in health care, I have access to a big bottle of ibuprofen. For at least a year, I was taking mostly one but on particularly bad days two 800mg ibuprofen tablets which which are available by prescription only even though you can purchase all you want over the counter in 200mg per tablet form all day long.

Why you may ask? Because it works!

More than two years ago my GP called after my annual physical and told me I had stage 3 CKD or Chronic Kidney Disease and needed to see a Nephrologist. I was in total shock as stage four is get ready for dialysis and the next stage is transplant or worse. The blood test is called GFR or Glomular Filtration Rate or a quick measure of kidney function and the measure was 47. At my age, it should be greater than 60.

The kidney doctor ordered me to stop the ibuprofen and to go get an ultrasound of the kidneys. He said not to worry and was confident it was the ibuprofen as otherwise I was in good health. He said we’ll re-check you in 6 months if every thing else is OK. Of course, the ultrasound came back normal.

I felt fine and didn’t think about it much again because I went see a pain management doctor who wrote me the Percocet 5/325mg and not to take more than 4 in 24 hours. That really helps with my hip pain.That dose is the second least potent with the least being 2.5/325.

But according to the hip surgeons assistant who I saw as part of the initial evaluation 4 months ago it was written up that I’m a chronic opioid user and need to stop before the surgery or else they wouldn’t do the surgery. I asked my GP and pain doctor and both agreed I’m not a chronic abuser and they would do the surgery regardless. Thanks for that label you jock strap!

Of course, the hip surgeon or his office never asked about it again in the two week pre-op nor the day of surgery. I would have suffered months of agony if I had listened to that guy. Always get a second opinion.

Anyway, a year after the kidney scare, my eGFR came back over 100 which is excellent per my GP. So folks, be careful with the ibuprofen!

Sorry about the long post but felt I needed to share this with all of you.

Let’s hope for a good night’s sleep and not too much pain tonight and tomorrow.
I hope everyone else out there is getting better and I’m praying for all of you...

Peace
 
Oh for goodness sake! You don’t need a label like that!!
 
@Wave Hog I believe I saw Josephine post somewhere on here that the Diclofenac doesn't work, according to studies.

However, according to my lower back, it works pretty darn well... I have Flector patches, not the gel, but same active ingredient. Let us know how it works out for you!
 
I’m 4 weeks post op and ice regularly, 30 minutes or so, then a gap, then again. I’m finding my knees need ice more than the hip. Not sure why. This forum reminds us to take things gradually, and it’s clear to me (too late u fortunately) when I’ve overdone it. PT ended at home and now I’m using crutches or walker and putting full weight on leg. Still, I don’t go too far. Don’t ditch the devices yet, they’re stabilizing and in case of faltering, necessary. I read on another thread that someone was doing independent “laps”beside the kitchen counter and tried a few today with slow success. Good luck, take it slow, ice is good.
 
Hi, Atkinson8. Thanks for the reply. So, you’re three weeks behind my first lefty? At four weeks, I thought I was way behind the healing curve but this site helped my a lot in several ways. My wound hadn’t completely healed and I was reading posts here and following most of the advice and just started to feel I was passing a healing milestone. Time will tell if all was good wisdom but the more info you have, the wiser your are...one would reason???

As you mend, your mind wants your body to get back to things you enjoyed pre hip pain. You do something other than the golden rules of this forum and, WHAM! You get whacked in the knees metaforically speaking and are quickly brought back to your post-op world of reality. And, the depression that goes with it doesn’t help. I keep having a nasty flashback of the video of Nancy Kerrigan balling “why me” after she was whacked in the knee.
So, no use crying about it and just do what you can at your own pace.
This is a life lesson and reminds me of the Blue Zones people. Check it out as it has helped me a lot. It’s about people and lifestyles that people in these distinct but separate geographical regions of our world have in common that lead them to be more free of Western Lifestyle disease and live on average 10 years longer than others. The books, research, and website are written by Dan Buettner. Some of his common tenants include a good support group which you have right here and the fact that you must keep moving. Check it out as it can only add to your book of wisdom. Good luck and my peace be with you...
 
Hello there, Joeknows. I picked up the Diclofenac a couple of weeks ago and my pain other than deep hip pain whilst lightly pushing PT has gone away thank God. So, I never gave it a try down there. Up until a few days ago, I had considerable pain mid thigh below the anterior incision and on the outside of the greater trochanter at night. I’m glad to report those spots only cause minor discomfort now. The OS said in our visit last week that the deep pain I feel while doing PT is the hip capsule healing and this will take more time to go away.
I have chipped elbow from a teenage skate boarding accident that flares up especially after triceps weight lifting and I tried the ointment there and it seems to work a bit. I hear you need to apply it for several days for it to work. It has a lot of nasty stuff in it like alcohol and amonia and I don’t think I want to apply it near or on the hip crease especially near the “junk”...

Good luck with your journey!
 
It has a lot of nasty stuff in it like alcohol and amonia and I don’t think I want to apply it near or on the hip crease especially near the “junk”...

I've only ever used it on my lower back and my traps (I think they're the traps... Whatever it is that goes from the neck to the shoulder).

However, your mention of one's junk reminded me of this story. By way of background, my THR is secondary to avascular necrosis (hip didn't get blood, bone died, it sucked). Anyway, my AVN manifested itself as what I thought was a severely pulled groin. My wife is super into essential oils - personally I think most of it is voodoo, but she had this "deep blue" lotion that is essentially icy hot but had worked for various minor muscle pain in the past.

You can probably guess where this is heading. One desperate night, I decided it couldn't hurt to try it on the groin - I'd just be very, very careful not to let it make contact with the extremely sensitive groin-adjacent real estate.

To cut to the chase, despite my awareness of the risk and what I thought was the rather clever use of a sock, I ended up taking an emergency shower (which did not help).

So yeah, don't take risks near the boys...
 
Joe Knows now for sure...by the way of the School of Hard Knocks.
Reminds me of my lesson in that same school near our Southern border. Was put in charge of fine dicing a pile of unknown chilis for a frat party sized pot of chili un-gloved of course, had to run to the rest room due to early sampling of the freshly tapped keg, had to hold aim as who has time to sit down?, had to rub the tears from the eyes because of fire down below before making it to the sink to wash. You can guess the rest...And yes, all the washing in the world won’t help for a good while. Like hips, only time heels...
 
Haha I like that you found a relevant moral to your story with that last sentence there - way to bring it back to hips! Haha.
 
I wanted to thank Josephine about her comments regarding the inflammatory issues on the non-op right hip I’m having after commencing longer walks and the advice on not starting outside PT that I mentioned on SurreyGirl’s thread. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread but if an admin. could please thank her, it would be appreciated. To recap:
I was feeling pretty good and started longer walks which has aggravated the right hip and my whole pelvis and lower back towards the right seem sore and inflamed like before the left THR. I have an order for outside PT but Josephine said to not go for it. I would like to do some work on the left THR as I’m 7 weeks out and would like to strengthen that side before the right THR on November 13. I’ve met my deductible for the year and the PT is no cost until the end of year. What would Josephine suggest for strengthening the left side at 8 weeks post surgery and up to November 13th RTHR keeping in mind I wouldn’t do anything that causes pain? Thanks in advance...
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom