THR How am I doing?<

So I take it that crossing out all the exercises means don’t do them? OK
Absolutely!
I will just take it easy and do my walking around the house and a trip to get just a few supplies with my helper and a BBQ or two at some neighbors this holiday weekend.
No, that's too much when you're only 4 weeks out. You need to follow the routine in here Activity progression for THRs
I’m trying short steps without the cane or walker and just don’t feel comfortable just yet ditching those devices just yet.
Then don't! Use them until you feel more confidence about doing without them.
I do have another concern; My incision has not healed completely. I had skin glue and it’s dry and scabbed over but there are a few spots along the incision where the skin is a little red extending no more than a centimeter from the wound.
Considering your wound is only 4 weeks out, it's not at all unusual to have such hiccups. Don't worry about it.
I did have oozing of clear yellowish fluid from the drain hole up to day 13 though.
That's very usual and nothing to worry about now it's stopped.
I saw one of the charts here and shows skin over joints should heal in 7 to 14 days.
That doesn't mean it has to, it just means that's the general rule. All wounds are individual and some might take a bit longer than others.

If you're that worried, post a picture of it for me.
 
Thank you so much, Josephine! I’ll step on the breaks even harder for a while and keep you posted. I’m not that concerned about the incision healing slowly as it looks a little better each day and it is dry...
Have a nice weekend and thank you again...!!!
 
Hi Wave Hogg! At the end of 4 weeks and in one weekend I went to a neighbours Bbq, went one hour supermarket shopping in a very busy store with a half hour car ride and the next day did a half mile walk. I felt SO proud of myself.

Monday and Tuesday I was a mess. Very bad pain at the top of the wound into the buttock. I iced a lot and stopped most of the exercises. Just did the bed ones to relieve stiffness in the morning. But that weekend really set me back. I am a lot more cautious now I am in week 6. About to start gentle walking again. So shall see!!

But I am a classic example of overdoing it!
 
Wow, SurreyGirl, I think the half mile walk was the extra thick frosting on the cake that did you in. I know what you mean exactly. One morning, you wake up, get out of bed, feel great with no pain, and all is good in this world and decide to get back to your old self which you miss like a lost loved one. Then, you do whatever and a little bit later realize you are not your old self-before all the pain. You get zapped back into the reality of our situation but know that with the instructions here you will have many more all is well mornings...

I had a good time last Friday night eating some good BBQ and mingling with old friends. Then, I awoke early Saturday morning with a pain in my thigh that I haven’t felt in weeks and instant depression. Ate some pills, went back to sleep for a while and then did nothing all day Saturday except whip up a couple easy meals, rest, elevate, and ice.

Today, I feel great again and I’m seriously considering going to another BBQ this afternoon? So if I go, I’ll bring ice, elevate and not mingle whilst on my feet. I just love BBQ too much...I heard they’re smoking slabs of salmon so as a sea food lover, how could I pass that up...? I can just picture the admins. here shaking their heads...
 
BBQ! Yum! Yes, by all means do as many BBQ's as you can, and classify it as mental health therapy! And smoked salmon!? How can I get an invite?

I remember the depression. Ugh - not fun. In my experience, once you get to a certain point in recovery, your energy comes back, and you'll be capable of so much more than before the surgery. Have patience - and another serving of BBQ for me.
 
Thanks for the reply, Bone-obo! It was fantastic to get out of the house after these last few weeks. Definitely needed the mental health therapy. The BBQ was excellent and and you are welcome anytime you are in town. The next BBQ is 9/22/18 at the local parish-California style tri-tip over red oak coals...
Now, it’s back to rest, ice, elevation, and short walks...
 
Glad you are getting out and about. My trick was to plan a rest day following an active day. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter. Sounds like you are doing well!
 
We have to look out for our spirit as well as our body.
As Jaycey says ...just double down on the Ice and rest after a more active day.
You've got this!:happyfeet:
 
Thanks for the replies, Jaycey and Mojo. Surprisingly, not too much pain this morning so I didn’t bother with pain medication so far. Had a nice breakfast of non-fat Greek yogurt, fresh fruit and walnuts and went for a 10 minute walk. I think I’m progressing as well as can be expected but the only bummer is that I’m not able to get in the water as my wound is not fully healed and tomorrow is my 4 week anniversary post surgery. Summer is ending here and the pool and ocean are starting to cool off a bit. The wound has some spots that have healed but there are still some narrow slivers that still have scabs. Its’s nice and dry and no oozing. I read that one of the risks of LMWH injections I’m taking for 4 weeks post op is delayed wound healing and oozing. The wound has been dry since the removal of the dressing on day 7. Well, it’s time to shower and throw clothes in the washer and then ice, elevate, and rest for a few hours and enjoy the last holiday of the summer season doing nothing the remainder of the day except a walk...

Peace
 
Sending Good Mojo your way.
This too shall pass.:ok:
Keep the faith, @Wave Hog
It"s going to be worthy of the struggle.:yes!:
 
Thanks for the mojo, Mojo! I really appreciate that. And yes, keeping the faith because at the end of the day that’s all we hippies have...
 
Good luck with all that and I know what you mean about summer slipping away and not being able to get into the water as I am not allowed to until I see my OS which won’t be until 24 september. But I am grateful for the fact that I was onholiday in June before the op and made the most of swimming and sailing then, albeit with a very complaining left hip.

Tried walking again yesterday and used smaller strides and iced as soon as I got back. That seems to have done the trick so will see how it is today...
 
Happy Four Week Anniversary!
You're doing well, keep it up.
Hope this week is a good one.
@Wave Hog
 
Thanks for the reply SurreyGirl, I’m glad you got in some quality time before your new hip. I didn’t get to travel anywhere exotic but I too did have some enjoyable summer moments. Two days before surgery, I hobbled across the sand and went for a much needed therapeutic swim. The ocean was unusually warm at 75 degrees or 24 c so I just had to jump in. I would rather get my exercise in or on the ocean over street hiking any day. At least we can go for walks now and we’ll just be thankful for that...

Thanks for well wishes, Layla! I guess I’m doing pretty good at 4 weeks and am thankful. It could be better but it could be a lot worse so we’ll enjoy this day and look forward to many better days to come...

Peace!
 
It will get better...patience friend.
Hope today is a better day!:friends:
 
Love your positive upbeat attitude. I'll bet it takes you far in life.
Lots of healing to happen going forward, more progress will be made as you know from Hip 1.
Hopefully you're finding this recovery to be easier :fingersx:
Enjoy the day!
@Wave Hog
 
Thanks Mojo and Layla! Today feels pretty good but still wobbly without the cane. I’ve been trying to take short walks around the house without support but it just feels sort of strange. I can feel the leg length inequality and trying to regain a normal gate isn’t going to well. The right hip is going out and is getting worse as it’s been favored lately. We’ll just have to make do. I will try and walk a little further today with the cane and then ice, elevate, rest for a while before a short drive to the bank and in order to pay the “man”. I haven’t seen that place in 6 weeks and health provider bills are staking up. I don’t want to rush in to do the next hip but have to do it this year to avoid paying the huge deductible we’re facing again next year. We’re already looking at 6K out of pocket not mention $1,300 a month for for a family of three for the highest deductible plan for crying out loud!!! Thanks Obamacare...
 
Don't be in a hurry to ditch the cane; I'm 11 weeks and just recently ditched mine for good - and I'm 27! At this point, you're at the mercy of your body. You have plenty of time to tackle the normal gait, so no worries!

I feel your pain with the out of pocket cost. I had to pay nearly 7k for my hip replacement; it definitely hurts the bank! My other hip needs to be replaced too, but hopefully it won't be for a few more years. In hindsight, I should have probably waited to do them both in the same year!
 
Thank you for the reply, Dracia! Your insight is appreciated. This is my third day venturing out on walks. I’ve been just going up and down the street with a few more houses farther each day here in suburbia. I installed a pedometer app., oops, almost said just “pedo” and that’s going in the wrong direction for sure, and it said I went .39 miles on today’s walk. That’s farther than I thought. I tried carrying the cane a few steps a few times and it hurts a bit so I know I’m not ready like you said. Sorry about that high out of pocket you have. I bet you haven’t added the true cost with time off, trips, pillows, medical supplies etc...I’m a health insurance agent and just don’t see anything getting better for anybody. My bill shows the surgery was 70K! Wow!!! How could the same surgery be only 7K in the UK, NZ, Oz, and Canada? Something is out of whack for sure...
 
Back
Top Bottom