THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit I was getting worried about you standing and being uncomfortable​

Littlejem Aweeee that is so sweet of you! For the next 2 weeks each day I am going to build myself up so it won't be such a shock for me. Today I am going to do some shopping which I really haven't done (I've only have run into a store for an item or so). I won't over do it, as hubby will be right there, I'll just to go to the car. Increasing my treadmill & bike time and more walking on the days I'm not on the treadmill. I have pretty much taken it easy through this recovery, I will continue to take baby steps towards my goal.
 
Liveringer Karen, I think you are pacing yourself really well! Switching out types of exercise, taking it easy-- and your return to work is so perfectly timed. Two short weeks of hyper excited kids, and then the summer break. You timed it just right! :)
 
Wow, here it is 7 weeks ago today that I had my RTHR. I still feel that I have been moving at a real good pace. My PT is almost up to 1 hr. twice a week for about 3 more weeks. I have one more week off then I go back to work which is a part-time job 3.5 a day. When I return to work on June 10, I will only have 9 days of work before summer vacation. I will return in September when school resumes. I work with two other women we have a great working relationship, as we look out for one another. Our Gym teacher was going to put a sign above our cafeteria door "RECOVERY WARD". Let me explain in Feb. my boss went out and had knee surgery (returning April 17th), other co-worker needed her gall bladder surgery she was out for a week just before I went out, then myself April 11th. So we had to cover each other I was doing the lifting for these ladies, now they will do the lifting and deep bending for me. We do have a stool to where I think I can place in some areas just to sit a spell but still do my job.

Here is what I have noticed for range of motion: I can tie my shoe lace with a bent knee (haven't done that in at least 4 years), I can manage my socks without the sock aide, I am pretty sure within the week probably a few days I'll be able to cut my toe nails with ease, get in and out of the car normally. For 2 days I have tossed horseshoes 20 not walking and 20 walking. This small a step, I normally pitch 240+ shoes which is about 4 hours walking in competition which I have not been able to do since February which was horrible on me. My new goal will be beginning of July but I'll wait and see what happens (that will be a 12 week mark), which I will be seeing the PA that week also.

Hamstring muscles are still tight but getting better everyday. Scar is still tender~I massage it, put vitamin E on it and again getting better everyday. "Life Is Good"
 
Liveringer Karen, you sound fabulous! Your other lunch ladies (may I call you that? :) ) are clearly part of the recovery team! Woohoo on the horseshoes! You must have really good form (well duhhhh at your level LOL) to be able to get back in with no weird injuries! I'll bet it felt SO good to get back in the ring /swing/whatever :)
When did you start the Vitamin E on the scar? Mine is so short! It amazes me what they did in that tiny space, and I only have as much pain as I do!
Keep up the good work :)
 
Liveringer Sounds like you are on the same recovery time table as me Karen. My surgery was the day before yours & I'm doing great. I sent the cane to it's resting place & hope to not need it for a long time. I maybe comming out of retirement for the 3rd week in June & filling in for a driver going on vacation. I'm looking forward to getting back in that big red truck you see in my avatar as I'm sure you are looking forward to going back to work.
 
When did you start the Vitamin E on the scar?​
Chris I started using it at about 4 weeks. Oddly as it may sound, it felt strange standing there as I no longer have to put all the weight on one leg, my leg length is the same now and my swing is getting back into form. It will take some time to build my stamina but I believe if I take it slowly I be there in no time at all.
 
Elosarabrab You're not to far behind me Barbara, just yesterday I meantioned it might be a week or so. One day later BAM toe nails cut. It is just amazing what a day makes. I just went for a 30 minute walk, therapist will be thrilled with that when I see her next week.
 
One day later BAM toe nails cut
Yah. You did it. :yay: The 4th and little toes were the hardest to do I found. I had to have a rest between each toe, but it gives you a great sense of achievement. I was going to have a go at painting mine today, but will leave it for a few days and see if there is any further improvement in my flexibility. I tried laces today. No problem at all with them.
 
Wow, Liveringer ... you and I are THR mates as I too now have six weeks under my belt; surgery was seven weeks ago today. You are leaps and bounds further along than I am, unbelievably so, but that's okay. No recovery is the same. I am really happy when any of us is able to say they are getting back to a normal life. That's why we do this surgery in the first place! I'm glad your work buddies will help you out as it sounds like you have a lot of heavy lifting in your job. Best of luck to you with your wonderful recovery progress. Before long you will be slinging horseshoes like nobody's business! :)
 
Liveringer well your a bit ahead of me. I'm still useing the sock aid to get my right sock on. But then again I do have this tool shed in my way. I guess thats the fault of those adult beverages. Hey congress you need to outlaw adult beverages they are making me fat.:beer:
 
Bite your tongue tankeryanker, I finally had a couple of beers last week. I don't drink much but those beers tasted so good. I don't have to use the sock aid but I can get the sock started by bending over then lift my leg behind me to finish. I consider that part of an exercise as I have no discomfort doing it.
 
Bite your tongue tankeryanker, I finally had a couple of beers last week. I don't drink much but those beers tasted so good. I don't have to use the sock aid but I can get the sock started by bending over then lift my leg behind me to finish. I consider that part of an exercise as I have no discomfort doing it.

With you being in NY & having the ban on large soda drinks I thought it would only be appropreate to keep Bloomberg on his agenda.
 
That's a big fat joke they just buy more. I am in NY but not NYC that is where Bloomberg is. I am no where near the hussle and bussle of the city. If you look at a map of NY I literally am in the middle of the state.
 
I know the wife is a big soda drinker & she just laughed when she heard about Bloombergs craziness. It's about as crazy as the politicans wanting to stop the super sizing your fries at McDonalds.
 
Liveringer,
You are doing great! It is nice to read about how well you are progressing. I am at 3.5 weeks, so it gives me hope and faith, especially since this week as been a difficult one for me, as I had a major setback. I have really taken it easy the past two days, cane is everywhere with me, and have seen a small improvement in groin pain. It is now at the end of the day, and hurting more, but the body does know best. I cannot wait to do cardio, been so long since I have been stinky sweaty.
You give those behind us positive things to think about...patience and acceptance is the key.
 
I had a total right hip replacement posterior on April 8, 2013. I don't feel like I am prog.ressing near as much as you all are. I was left with a 1/2 inch length difference and it is really making my back hurt. I was really surprised that my LLD was so much. I wasn't expecting it at all. I am going to PT twice a week but only for 30-45. I can sometime walk with out my cane, but because of the length difference, I can't walk long. My joint feels stiff most of the time. I have gotten into our pool and walked in the water, forward, backward and side ways. Sure hoping I begin to make faster progress. :yes:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip
Rah Rah, so pleased you have joined us here on the forum. In order to have your questions and concerns answered properly, you need to start a thread of your own here in the Hip Replacement Recovery forum.
Here is the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting. You could simply copy and paste the above or type a new post.

We have lots of info we'd like to share with you, so get that thread started as soon as you can. Looking forward to your first post.
 
I had a total right hip replacement posterior on April 8, 2013. I don't feel like I am prog.ressing near as much as you all are. I was left with a 1/2 inch length difference and it is really making my back hurt. I was really surprised that my LLD was so much. I wasn't expecting it at all. I am going to PT twice a week but only for 30-45. I can sometime walk with out my cane, but because of the length difference, I can't walk long. My joint feels stiff most of the time. I have gotten into our pool and walked in the water, forward, backward and side ways. Sure hoping I begin to make faster progress.​

Pre Op my leg was nearly 1 1/2 inches longer. Now it is even. I am thinking that a sore back can be part of the surgery after effect. My back is sore when I wake in the morning (it has since I've been able to sleep on my sides and stomach). I have had to go to a chiropractor which is helping. I am sure it will subside, mine is getting better all the time. PT that is a good workout, if you are not walking that will help in your stamina. Please keep in mind that we all heal differently.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom