Guest viewing is limited

THR Houston Liveringer Has Landed With New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
This week I will be heading into my ninth week post op. I went back to work today which is only 3 1/2 hours. The only part I find challenging is standing in one spot. Which today I had to run cash register, we have a stool so I grabbed that and I was able to sit for a couple minutes and still do my job. After work I went to PT, came home cooked dinner. Shortly after eating the day hit me and I took a 2 hour nap. It was just some energy drain but physically I feel pretty good. Now in a couple more hours I better be able to sleep for the night:shrug:
 
That's outstanding, Liveringer! Especially that you aren't physically too tired or feeling beat up. Because you have a really physical job. You should feel proud and satisfied that all your hard work prior to returning to work paid off. I wouldn't worry about napping. I did that last week, too, when I first got home from work. Then realized, hey, at least I'm sleeping, even if it's in unorthodox patterns! Keep us posted with your progress. Hope you can continue to sit when you need to. That's a hard job that you have!
 
Liveringer awesome!!! I think you'll sleep well enough to get through the day tomorrow :) You're feeling physically good, you'll do great!! Say hey to your wonderful co-workers for me :) You have a great team, it really sounds like, which is something not everybody is blessed with.
 
Liveringer glad your first day back to work went well. I think that the Physical Drain lasts for awhile, especially once our activity level increases. I did a lot yesterday, and I was wiped out. Came on so fast too. An acquaintance of mine who used to work for my company had a THR in Feb., and he said it was incredibly fatiguing to go back to work. I cannot imagine that in three weeks, I will be getting up at 5:00 AM again, especially with all the interrupted sleep I continue to have. Glad you have a good work environment, makes all the difference.
 
Wow Liveringer you are doing so well, I can't believe you did PT after being at work that's some energy pack you have there!! We discussed on another thread, I think it was Songlady, that standing is acually worse than walking so I'm glad you got that stool to sit on. Great news all round for you :egypdance:
 
Wow, Liveringer, all that standing, good for you! Yes, Littlejem, somewhere (my thread?) there was discussion of standing vs walking, and thinking that standing is much harder on one, afterwards, than walking. We'd been discussing it because I stood to play in a handbell choir program over the weekend! Liveringer, I think it's brilliant that you got a stool for part of your time! Do you find that after being in one position for a while (like on the stool for 20 - 30 minutes) you are stiff when you start to walk again? I am finding that, and I am wondering when I can look forward to that kind of thing easing up some. Peaches, maybe you would share experiences with that, too, with your return to work....Impressive, BS Friends!:friends:
 
Congratulations on a successful return to work. As a middle school teacher I know how important the cafeteria team is to the well being of the kids..for some students the school meals are the only food the kids can count on for the day. For others it is the only low stress meal of the day. Glad you are part of what sounds like a great team of folks. Enjoy your all too short summer break!
 
Liveringer, I think it's brilliant that you got a stool for part of your time! Do you find that after being in one position for a while (like on the stool for 20 - 30 minutes) you are stiff when you start to walk again? I am finding that, and I am wondering when I can look forward to that kind of thing easing up some​
Songlady The stool is just around for lunch break, I only sat on it maybe 5 minutes total but it was enough. Today was pretty good no stool but then again I was able to move around. Depends on my activities on if I am stiff. Over the weekend I did a lot of sitting, more of that then walking I was a little stiffer but not like before surgery. However, I do have to think about my gait when walking. If I don't then I will have a tendancy to limp. I shouldn't be limping as my leg length is the same now, I am no longer in pain. I had limped for so long I have to retrain my body/brain the right way.
nmscienceteacher welcome to the post op side, I see that you are 7 days since surgery. How are things going with you? I guess I need to go find your thread. Take care and follow the mantra rest, ice, elevate and take your meds prescribed.
 
Hi Liveringer - sounds as if you are doing well! As you mentioned, probably moving around some helped with your comfort. I know what you mean about the limping! My last surgery, my husband really encouraged me to get rid of the cane (I think it helped HIM to feel that I was recovering! :rotfl: ) But a few days ago, I was going without the cane around the house some, and he said, "You know, you're right - you DO limp without the cane. So, I understand your wanting to use it for a while more." Now, as we all know, if we get to doing things that require two hands, we can't always use the cane.....but for longer walks, I am using it to make sure I walk evenly.
Goodness, this whole process is more complicated than I would have ever guessed! :thud:
 
LeeApril26 zauberflöte Peaches sandybeach Songlady Littlejem Mamarey Kim22 and anyone else I know I forgot (sorry)
I completed my first week back to work. All went pretty well Monday drained and took a nap and a couple of days used some ice. It was everything I pretty much expected but....unlike before surgery I could get into my car the normal way without a lick of pain! Next week is a 4 day work week then I'm on summer vacation until September. My PT will also end next week so I guess walking will become part of my life. I am up to tossing 60 shoes but only because of all the rain we have had I'd probably be closer to 100.
It has been over 4 years since I have been able to sit down and tie my shoes until a few days ago! YIPPEE
Take Care everyone have a great weekend! "Life Is Good"
 
Liveringer Yay one week done and went okay. I wish I could have the summer off....maybe time to look for another job. The little things like tying shoes, we all took for granted so many years is a celebration after hip surgery...I can do that with one leg but not the other. Still some work needed on that side. Have a great weekend Karen.
 
Liveringer Congratulations on a fantastic first week at work.You did so well and only 4 more working days before your summer holiday.Enjoy all the lovely walks and shoe throwing.
 
Brilliant news Liveringer so glad that you got through your first week at work without any drama and pain. Just 4 days next week then summer break that's perfect!! Keep doing what you're doing, it's obviously working!! :)
 
Hi, Liveringer ... I would say that a Liveringer Work Week is equal to two or more of many of our work weeks ... how many of us have such a physical job as yours?? And your off hours are spent TOSSING HORSE SHOES! (And here I complain about lugging a plastic grocery bag a couple of blocks.) So you should really congratulate yourself.
I do think standing must be so much harder. It sure feels that way to me when having to stand in line somwhere.
Songlady ... I do find that when I sit for too long, which I tend to do at home, I am really really stiff. At work, I actually must be getting up pretty frequently, because I don't get that stiff. Work automatically makes you get up more than you think ... for the bathroom, for coffee, for the bathroom again, to photocopy something, etc. Now this is speaking only for myself--age sixty and other than walking, not an active or athetic person--but I am starting to think seriously that my total recovery is not going to be as near-perfect as I'd hoped. Because, you know, I'm a 60-year-old, out-of-shape woman to begin with. So maybe I would be stiff anyway, from sitting so long? When I see these lean, mean (just kidding ... for all I know, they could be sweet as pie) senior women plowing forcefully and fast down the city streets, I am kinda jealous, but I no longer think "Someday I will be just like YOU!" Because I was never like that. Not really. When I used to scurry fast on the streets, it never felt physically right. Not that I have the patience to lumber like a Sunday stroller ... but just a normal-ish pace, and as pain and stiff free as possible so I can "go the distance" is what I'm trying to expect.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom