THR Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojool. I'm with your girl! I was totally freaked out about the injections! I was SOOOOOOOO happy to learn my OS prescribes xereltro (sp)
 
Xarelto!! Thats the pill form blood thinner i took! Had to go look it up!!!! Lol
 
sandpiper, I had no idea there was a pill form! I would have requested that. Too late now I suppose--I have 7 left. Interesting that you fear needles and did not pass out at the thought of THR!
Needles don't bother me at all, but "saws" are another matter :yikes: :shocked: Jojool, please don't worry about the injections if you have to have them--it is quick and no more than like a flu shot or something. I actually find having to wear these bloody leg hose in the hot summer to be way more of a pain :tantrum:

My surgery resulted from a bad fall off a retaining wall (fell 6 feet backward on to concrete porch) that happened roughly 7 years ago. I broke femur and had to have a femoral nail installed and broke my hip and had other stuff put in to fix that. The nail did not fit and had to be removed a couple of years later and this left me with a labrum tear and other "issues", and then joint developed disease...............So that was my "story". Who knew that sweeping a wall to close to the edge wearing clogs would results in a saga that caused 3 surgeries and lots of pain and suffering. :sigh:
 
I know the mantra is take your meds, but I'm curious to know what medications other folks are taking/needing/whatever, for pain. How much and for how long?
 
Hi Horsecrazy! I came out of the hospital (April 23, 2013) on Oxycodone and after vomiting for about a week straight I switched to Tramadol. I found that if I ate something before it helped, but in the middle of the night it was a pain. I had a banana next to my bed and some milk. A lot of people seem to have problems with this medicine for some reason.

I'm three months from my surgery date now and am mostly on Tylenol but still need Tramadol depending on my level of activity and usually after physical therapy. I always take 25 mg. before bed. Without it my hip and leg ache and it keeps me up. The first time I had my hip replaced I remember that as I healed, I just kept forgetting to take the pain meds and that was how I got stopped them. Just forgot! It was easy.
 
horsecrazy Oh my goodness! What a story! I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that!!! I hope this will be the end of the surgeries and the beginning of a pain free life! You definitely are due!
 
This should explain mine - in detail! I was in hospital for two weeks and carried on with the pain meds until week 12.

[Bonesmart.org] Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th
 
Josephine - That is SO impressive! You kept such detailed records while you were in such pain. Yowza!!
 
horsecrazy I took Percoset every six-eight hours for two weeks. Tapered off to just at night during third week, adding Mobic, which I took before my hip went nuts for arthritis in my knees. For the next three weeks I added Tylenol before PT or any other major exercise. Now taking just the Mobic, and have added an herbal anti-inflammatory, in the hopes that I can reduce the Mobic.
 
Hello horsecrazy and congratulations on your successful surgery. You sound like you're doing great! You're so alert and chipper, taking good care of yourself (with nurse hubby to help you :)). You're controlling your pain, you had you're first shower. Wonderful! The sleeping can be a problem, but it'll come. Just try to rest as much as you can, and nap when there's an opportunity so you don't get too tired out. Don't rush anything and take it easy on yourself and you'll do just great!
You and sandpiper do have a lot in common. You make great hipsisters, and she's one of your biggest cheerleaders! I'm glad you're doing so well, too, sandpiper and came through your surgery with flying colors. And now, here you are, cheering everyone else along- including me. You're wonderful.
It's interesting reading about your job and your unfortunate 'kid collisions'. I'm a school nurse and just love the kids - best part of the job, isn't it? You're smart to make sure you're good and healed before you return, too.

You're fall was also very unfortunate horsecrazy...:groan:Gee, you must be a horseback rider with that being your screen name? And your accident happened from a wall.. you're right, who would have thought? Well, soon you'll be back to doing what you love.
In the meantime, keep eating the chocolate -the endorphins it promotes will do you the world of good!
Take care, ladies and good luck in your recovery. Keep us posted. :friends:
 
Jojool Please don't let those teeny tiny injections scare you. Why not call the OS office and ask the nurse, or whoever, what he usually does or prescribes post-op to prevent blood clots? Then you'll know and not worry if you don't have to. I took pills and didn't need the stockings, maybe you will, too. And if you had to do those itty bitty shots, you could! It's a very, very small needle, given superficially, not like a real muscle shot - so it doesn't even hurt, really! And the nurse teaches you in the hospital, so it's easy.

You'll be fine, no matter what. The important thing to remember is that you've been through so much pain as it is, everything else you have to face will be minor compared to that pain. You'll be so happy to have your surgery over! It'll be such a relief to you. :)

Good luck! :friends:We're all here for you!
 
I carried on taking pain medication until I started to forget doses. There really is no timeline for stopping your meds. Use them while you are still working on your mobility. You will naturally wean off them - usually by starting to forget to take the mid day dose.
 
Josephine - That is SO impressive! You kept such detailed records while you were in such pain. Yowza!!
Ah but you missed the point - I hardly ever had any pain because I took my pain meds! :wink:
I carried on taking pain medication until I started to forget doses. You will naturally wean off them - usually by starting to forget to take the mid day dose.
Exactly so! You're so succinct, Jaycey!
 
Heyy, I am 16 days out of surgery. They prescribed me with oxycodone and norcos for pain. I only take the norco, I feel like taking both would just be excessive and they seem to work fine without needing anything else.
 
Josephine - I felt like I got hit by a truck after my revision surgery and did not have it in me to keep track. After seeing the amount of Tramadol you were taking I now think I was incredibly under medicated and might have felt a lot better on a much higher dose.
 
sandpiper, Yes, as ByGosh pointed out, I ride my horse 6 days a week and broke my leg falling off a stupid wall :headbang: I think the future looks bright for all of us and it is just amazing to find so many nice folks on this forum.

I'm going to settle in with my psychological thriller, ice on my hip, foot up on a pillow, and piece of dark chocolate (thanks for the reminder). I am also happy to report I got some sleep last night :sleep:

Hope you ladies have a wonderful day. BTW, where are you located (I'm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina)?
 
Hello horsecrazy I'm glad you got some sleep and are taking it easy today. I myself don't go for psychological thrillers, but good for you! I'm sure it'll keep your interest.

I'm from Connecticut, near New Haven, Yale, the shoreline, etc. I believe our friend sandpiper is from Penna., am I right sandpiper?
Chapel Hill is supposed to be just lovely. I've never been there, but I hear the University is also beautiful and very competative to get into.
There must be many horse people in that area. Do you own many horses and do you manage the care youself?

My daughters took riding lessons when they were young. One of them was pretty decent for her age, and was in a few competitions. The other, I couldn't bear to watch, she had no form, poor thing, and not very good muscle control. We stopped after a few years, I can't quite remember why. They probably lost interest and the costs are high.
The next thing they did was diving. That was another very anxiety provoking sport for a Mom to watch. The one daughter, Lucy who is athletic, did very well, and progressed quickly. The other, not so much.
When they started Lucy doing back dives, I had to check out. Her head came so close to the board! Thank god she never hit. But I mentioned to the coach that it looked like she was going to smack her head on the board, and he replied 'oh sure, they hit their heads..' something to that effect. That's another one I had to stop - I just didn't feel the risk was worth it. I'm a pediatric nurse now for the past 20 years, and always concerned with kid's safety. No broken necks or head injuries for me!
So now she's a cheerleader/gymnastist/coach at a children's gym and teaches and coaches the younger kids. She's also on a cheer team and travels to competitions during the season. Geez, it's never-ending...

Hope you feel better and the aches and pains subside. Don't feel bad if you have to use the cane at times when you hurt - it's all part of it. I used it on and off, not for balance, or because I needed it to walk, but just to take the stress off of the hips if I had to. No big deal in the long run.
Take care!
 
Exactly so. I had a friend who had a bilateral TKR and I visited her in hospital the next day. She was almost completely out, making no sense and confused. I contacted the surgeon (my surgeon and a friend) who went to the ward with the anaesthetist and found she'd been given NO pain meds since she got back from theatre 24hrs before! :shocked: There was an incident report made up and nurses were taken to task over it. Seem the night nurse's excuse was that she never asked for anything and never complained of being in pain! :doh: My point being, people often complain that the pain meds can mess with your head, but NOT being adequately medicated can mess with your head even more!
 
ByGosh, we don't have children (2 dogs and 1 horse) but I can't imagine how stressed I would be watching a child ride/dive...anything dangerous! Some of the moms at our barn watch (encourage) their kids to do some cross country riding that makes me so nervous to watch--takes all kinds I suppose?

Your part of the coast is nice too--we love that area! Chapel Hill is a great university and pretty competitive in many departments. My husband and I are both at Duke. Our house is located about 15 minutes from both UNC and Duke (in Durham). My hubby is from PA, but we have lived in NC for 18 years now.

Your "cheerful" daughter sounds like great fun! Between her, and your job, and many other things I'm sure, you have a nice life and I am betting it is even better with your new hip!
 
Josephine - I agree completely. I have a question for you that I will post on my own thread, though it is related to post-op meds and how long to take.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom