Guest viewing is limited

THR Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
BeckyR yes, I think that is the name of the pills I will have to take. I have to go back and re-read all of my instructions again and make sure I get everything right. Last night I found myself opening the aspirin bottle instead of the tylenol! Luckily I had put the Celebrex bottle away in a drawer in another room entirely to avoid a senior moment such as that. I have been prescribed 200mg of Celebrex twice a day for 10 years or so and that has become a very ingrained habit. Now the aspirin is resting next to the Celebrex so I wont be making that mistake again!

From what I understand about the shots it is sort of like giving shots to cats and dogs in that loose scruff of the neck and it isn't painful for them. I guess I would be okay with that since I have had to give subcutaneous fluids to several of my kitties over the years.
 
So now what I ask you?? My right hip (the o.k. hip) hurts today when I walk :tantrum: I'm sure it is due to the stupid way I walk with my crutch, i.e., I favor my new hip and put lots of pressure on the non-op-hip, but this just seems so unfair :hissy: Sorry, just having a crabby day. Days like this I panic that I'll never walk pain free :hairpulling:
Off to get some ice :sorry:
 
At 3½ weeks post THR I'm not expecting to be pain free, but the groin pain is really nasty and does not seem to be getter better --perhaps even worse. I'm wondering if I should even be doing the PT exercises that hurt (straight leg lifts, etc), or if I should rest the groin as much as possible -- but then the obsessive in me says, 'but that may delay my recovery'. Anyway, prior to surgery I had a labrum tear and I wonder if this is also related to why I now have this pain.
 
Oh horsecrazy I'm so sorry that you're having a tough few days, and sorry also that I havent been able to reply til now - I've been away from home for a few days.

Firstly, I'm guessing that's you and your pony in your new avatar? Beeeuuuuuuutifullll!! :SUNsmile:

I think that your instinct to stop doing any of the exercises which hurt is a REALLY good one. Josephine is regularly telling us that rehab for a hip is pretty simple and it pretty much doesnt need a huge amount of PT compared to TKR - so I dont think that you should be too worried that being kind to yourself will set back your recovery.

If you were diagnosed with a labral tear of your ok hip, I'd imagine that could easily be the source of your new and annoying pain - but I aint no healthcare professional. I'll leave any advice on this to the people who know! :wink: What I can do is offer a hug and an ear :friends: I cant access Bonesmart at work, so I might not always reply fast, but I will reply! :yes:

Here's hoping it all comes right quickly.
 
Meggzie, yep, that is me on my guy :SUNsmile: Not nearly the stunning pic you have, but then jumping always tops
dressage in that respect :bow:

Thanks for the kind words, they really help. Yes, I'm taking 4 totally PT free (lots of rest and ice and meds) per BS and my doctor's PA. Then I'm supposed to make and apt next week if things are not better. I'm really hoping it is just that I overdid it on rehab, but whatever the case, I'll know soon. I've also gotten pretty brave at the barn and have been doing more activity than I should I'm sure and I know you emphasize with how EASY that is to do!

I admire your strength and courage in facing your next procedure, and who knows, if I have one of the frequent things that causes groin pain, I might be right in there with you having more done? So, at this point, who knows which of us will ride again first :loll:

Take care and keep in touch - and no worries at all about not responding quickly, I'm going nowhere fast :rotfl:

Bev
 
:dancy: :dancy: Another Horseperson here! Welcome to the other side:) Each day will get easier and better!!
 
I'm wondering if I should even be doing the PT exercises that hurt
No you definitely shouldn't!
but then the obsessive in me says, 'but that may delay my recovery'.
Doing them will delay your recovery - very, very easily! Don't you read on here my endless cry that exercise never helps pain issues, especially not more exercise! And that hips really don't need all that much exercising as they generally have a way of working things out for themselves. When the early days of healing are over - at about 10-12 weeks - then you can start on special strength training if you are involved in an activity or sport that demands it.

What pain meds are you taking, how much (in mgs) and how often?
 
Hello Josephine, My groin pain is not something that actually hurts much with PT, but rather walking (on flat surfaces) is what hurts most. I generally have no pain when not walking . I'm taking 800 mg ibuprofen daily (split across the day) and 500 mg in the morning to reduce morning stiffness.

For the past three days I've done no PT, I use ice frequently (as best you can ice the "deep feeling" groin area), and I'm taking the above meds for inflammation. If I'm not suppose to do anything painful, then I really should not walk unless completely necessary--as that is what now hurts. If it were not for the groin pain my "hip" is actually feeling pretty good at this point (only slightly tight, but not painful).
 
Sorry to hear you are having so much pain especially when walking. At least you can get some relief when you are resting. I have followed the mantra for bonesmart that if it hurts don't do it. I think that is wise. I am anxiously waiting to get back on my horse. I haven't been able to ride for a couple of years cuz of my hip so I am waiting another month. I am just over three months now. Our summers here seem so short and I just don't want to waste any more time. Just when I think I should try to ride I overdo it in other areas and then I am too sore. I guess I will have to set my priorities and then just do it. Take care.
 
horsecrazy Please listen to Josephine and the rest of the Bonesmart folks who tall you to take it SLOOOW. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I intend to follow Josephine's instructions to the letter.

Peace, love, and healing to you.
 
Rah Rah, Meggzie, Mollyb, nice that there are so many fellow horse people on BS! Yes, I'm taking it much slower and just hoping that the pain I'm having is because I just overdid things a bit. I have read all the BS words of wisdom and I've tried to follow everything as closely as possible, but it is very easy to feel the need to do things and before you know it you have done too much. With luck all of us can write again in a year or so and be happily riding again :friends:

Josephine, One tiny word in my defense, my Doc and his PA gave me PT sheets to follow that included things to do at week 1, then week 2, then weeks 3-6 and their words were, "Don't worry about waiting to move to the next exercise level, as soon as you can reasonably do things feel free to move on up". This comes from the same Doc that said I could ride again at 6 weeks if I felt like it. So, I'm encouraged to "progress quickly" by my Doc, which is pretty different from BS. Thus I have tried to be somewhere in the middle regarding activity level, which may have been the wrong approach. Whatever the case, I'm trying very hard to remain 100% positive.
 
And I applaud your positivity. I have no desire to quash it either. You are doing well but in your surgeon's encouragement, I doubt he intended for you to rush ahead as you appear to be doing. I stand by what I said in my previous post because I was addressing concerns you raised previously ....
I'm wondering if I should even be doing the PT exercises that hurt (straight leg lifts, etc), or if I should rest the groin as much as possible -- but then the obsessive in me says, 'but that may delay my recovery'.
 
Horsecrazy, am I understanding correctly that at less than a month out, you are relying on only ibuprofen for pain relief? And you have groin pain when you walk. I'm thinking there may be a connection here. Many of us have needed more pain relief at this stage of recovery....either combining the ibuprofen with tylenol, or tylenol with an intermediate drug like tramadol. I'm tagging Josephine to come back and comment on this.

Sharon
 
sharonslp, thanks for the advice. The informative bit about my pain is, I was getting better and better, then this "new" pain started about a week or so ago and seems to be getting worse, not better. When I do take the current meds I'm taking it is at a level where I can manage it and not feel too bad (without the meds I can't walk without great difficulty). My concern is, if is a tendon issue taking the meds and "masking the pain" at this point may not be the best approach. I completely understand pain control for "healing pain", but to cover the pain such that I can walk when perhaps walking is creating more swelling or whatever may be making matters worse (if that makes sense). I called and my Doc's PA said I need to come in so I'm going to see them today and hope they can help clarify things a bit. When they did my THR they also found they needed to repair two torn tendons (not sure the location) and that may be related to the difficulty I'm having now--who knows? They also added an inch to my leg. Anyway, when one is having pain that is worse than the pain before surgery, it is a frightening feeling so I hope they can figure it out soon. Thanks again for the concern, it is greatly appreciated.
:thankyou:
 
My concern is, if is a tendon issue taking the meds and "masking the pain" at this point may not be the best approach. I completely understand pain control for "healing pain", but to cover the pain such that I can walk when perhaps walking is creating more swelling or whatever may be making matters worse (if that makes sense).
A popular misconception, HL. Pain is pain and it matters not what the cause of it is. In fact, not taking pain meds is what will make it worse, not the reverse. You're not 'masking' the pain but removing it, removing the tightness and inflammation that is causing the pain. Fact is that muscles know when they have pain and their reaction is to swell, get tight and inflamed. Taking the pain meds interrupts that vicious circle and voilà no more pain! Take your pain meds!
 
Hi horsecrazy.. I am with Jo 100% .. My OS is a firm believer that the 'no pain, no gain' approach to THR recovery can be a recipe for future problems.. slow and steady is my motto and it certainly has worked for me.. I always had in mind 24 months for full recovery.. Last week I passed 21 months and can tell that for me, my approach is working.. We are all different though and lead different lives and have different activities..
 
Hi horsecrazy How are things going for you now that you've given yourself a break from the PT? Better, I hope?
 
Hi horsecrazy I havent seen you around in a while, so thought I'd drop in on your thread to see how you're doing!
I hope things are tracking along nicely for you - do let me know how you and the lovely Earnie are doing :)
 
Hi Meggzie I am happy to report I am doing better and took my first ride yesterday on Earnie!!!!!! I'm back to doing w/t/c----the entire shooting match!!!!!! And it feels great. As promised here is my first ride pic with thumbs up
:) I hope you are doing well too---give me a report when have time!!! Bev

[Bonesmart.org] Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th
 
Wooohooo!!!! That is so awesome Bev!! So happy for you and your smile says it all! :yay:

As it turns out, I'm right behind ya sista!! My surgeon gave me the go ahead and I have a plan to be getting on on Sunday - my coach and friend insists on hopping on the pony first, and she's teaching all day on Saturday, so I have to be patient for an extra day. 3 more sleeps! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom