Guest viewing is limited

THR Horsecrazy on the other side 9:am July 19th

Status
Not open for further replies.
horsecrazy YEAH!!!!! I am so happy for you that all the worry and anxiety is behind you! That truly was the hardest part! Sleep tight and don't forget the Bone Smart mantra...rest, ice , elevate, take your pain meds....and keep us posted! We are a unique group here at BS! We come from all over, we are funny, silly, serious, but one thing we all share is our shiny new hips! Thinking of you and sending good healing vibes your way from PA! :friends:
RTHR July 1, 2013
 
horsecrazy. YEAH! :yay: So glad it's all behind you! All the anxiety and worry. Now on to the best part.... Healing and getting on with your PAIN FREE life! I am so very relieved for you that you are all done and that your body is already in the healing mode! Remember to rest, ice, elevate, take your pain meds, and keep us posted!!! I'll be looking for your posts! :friends:
 
I'm home just now--I had surgery early in the morning and did well enough they thought it was o.k. to go home this evening. So, only one night in hospital! I can get around on a walker o.k., but slow going. I'm doing very light PT and taking pain meds. I didn't sleep at all last night, so I'm hoping for some rest tonight in my own bed.
The only thing I was not prepared for was that my leg stayed numb from 8:00 am till 4:00 am the next morning (almost 24 hours) and that worried me a bit. I was very relieved when the feeling finally all returned!

My surgery was a bit different from what I've read about. It is a smallish incision (~4 inches) on the back of my side almost on my bum. Yet, he did an anterior dislocation - so I do not have to follow the 90 degree rule at all? My only physical restriction is no crossing legs and no outward rotation of my foot. That said, right now I couldn't bend much past 90 anyway.

I just wanted to say again that I appreciate the support and it is very nice to be a hippie. Off for a bit of dinner, more meds, a tiny glass of wine, and bed!
 
So glad to hear you're an official Hippy! Woo hoo!!! Keep us posted on your recovery. :dancy:
 
Oh for the want of a good night's sleep! :zzz: No "true" sleep in 3 nights. Due to my restrictions I can only sleep on my back (or surgical side) right now, and I can't manage the surgical side yet--and I have never rested well on my back EVER. So I toss and turn all night long. At least I can manage to doze a bit during the day and I don't have to be anywhere or do anything that requires "real thinking abilities" :yes!: Interestingly, our work policy is 3 months for THR, which seems a bit generous, but hey, better too much time than not enough!

Meggzie, your comment cracked me up---I'll be happy just to trot down the hall! Due to my surgeon's astute skills, my legs are now of equal length and I'll bet that ups my scores a good deal (I had no idea they were unequal) :yikes:
 
horsecrazy being home is wonderful isn't it!!! So odd the different approaches and techniques! Mine was the mini posterior but sound like exact same spot your incision is but I do have the 90 degree rule and I was told no pointing toes INWARD. Lol I would love to know what the difference is but bottom line is that we are all doing great! I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am for you!! :kittykiss:
 
horsecrazy. I feel for you. I still sleep on my back and I don't usually so I still don't sleep too well. Last night I tried sleeping on the operated hip. It was ok. I was a bit timid about it but my OS said it was actually good to sleep on it. I did have a little bit of disvomfort at the incision site. Just felt like a bruise. Not a bad bruise though. I didn't stay that way for long. Still feels weird. Hang in there! Soon you will be able to sleep however you like!!! In the meantime, maybe some warm milk? Or maybe some great sex??? Oh wait!!!!! NOOOOOOO sex!!! ( sorry hubby! ) :no-fin: :heehee:
 
horsecrazy Yep, its a fact, being symmetrical is gonna up your scores!! No more egg shaped circles :yay: (at least, not that you can blame your hip for!! :wink:)
 
sandpiper, yes for now it has to be chocolate - no sex :giggle: Today is a big day---first post-op shower :happydance:
So, at this point, what has been the most surprising about your recovery? Any, "wow, didn't expect that" moments?
 
horsecrazy I guess everyday is filled w/wow moments! The bone on bone pain I felt and the grinding feeling whenever I moved was gone the moment I woke up in recovery. Of course I know that it will be months before I am healed on the inside and I have to remind myself of that all the time. I am so blessed and I just want to do this recovery thing right so I can get back to my two jobs which I love! I am fortunate enough to work with Kindergarteners at my main job and k-5 at my second job. Corny as this sounds.....the moment the kids come in to school in the morning my day gets brighter! How many people can say that when they go to work in the morning? Ok......I guess I went overboard with the answer to your question! Ha! Anyway....you get the picture.....every moment is a "wow" moment. What is your "wow" moment as of yet? How are you today???
 
sandpiper, It is so nice to have work that you love, I'm sure your kiddos are lucky to have you.

I'm a tiny bit better today, and like you, I just want to do everything right! I think my biggest "wow" moment so far is that I can put my full weight on my new hip leg and it is fine. I would NOT do it, but I almost feel like I could even walk a short distance with nothing at all but my legs?

When do you plan to go back to your jobs?
 
horsecrazy I don't know when I will be cleared to return to work. I go back to the OS on August 14 which will be 6 weeks post-op. That's 3 weeks from now and I definitely couldn't imagine being back to work by then mainly because of my energy level and the restrictions imposed on me. I assume at the August 14 visit we will discuss my going back to work. As much as I miss work I want to be fully healed before I go back.

Isn't it amazing that you can actually put your full weight on that hip ?! Did you get your shower yet? It feels sooo good! I remember I didn't want to get out!!! You sound so good! I'm so happy for you!
 
sandpiper, I just got out of the shower and it was lovely, I too could have stayed for hours if it were not for my hubby waiting to make sure all was safe. As it stands, the only real pain I have is when I move in a funny way, which isn't often, and when I stand up after being seated for 15 minutes or more (then it isn't so much pain as it is just SO stiff it is crazy).

Yes, you want to be fully healed before going back to such an active job, with kids that could easily (by mistake) knock you down or something. And you also need to be able to keep up with their level of energy, which I am sure is quite high given there ages. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm 56 but have felt like I was 96 for for the past year with this stupid pain and limp. I'm amazed at how many "young" people are having THR these days. I have not seen any "failures" on this forum, everybody seems very happy with their new hip and pleased with the entire process. Medicine and the body are amazing things!
 
horsecrazy i don't mind you asking at all! i'm also 56 and I was shocked to find that most people on BS are young! I always thought people in their 70's have THR surgery! Funny you mention a student running into me at work because that is exactly what happened! Twice!!! Last yr. and after that OA set in pretty quickly. There was probably a labral tear at that point. Then this yr. another student ran into me broadside. The hip was pushed way anterior in the socket and twisted. No other option but surgery. The report said severe hip dislocation. So needless to say I'm a bit gun shy! The student was a much older child who probably weighed as much as me, I'm 5"7' 120 lbs. a lot taller than the child but he was pretty big bodied. Who would think it's such a dangerous job??? :scary: lol
I'm so glad you got your shower in! It makes you feel " human" doesn't it?! I can't wait to get my toe nails polished!!! Your hubby sounds like such a good guy! I don't have one of those ( a hubby!) i'm very independent and very involved with my 3 grandkids. I don't mind being single at all but I have to admit going this alone was a bit rough. I made it tho! Great help from my mom and kids!!! Families are wonderful, aren't they?
 
@sandpiper--we could be hippie twins - I'm 56 y/o, 5'7", weigh 128, and my THR was due to an accident.

Boy, I can certainly see how you are nervous about return to work! I'd probably wear an armband at work that says FALL RISK!

Wonderful that you have a helpful family--that makes all the difference. Yes, my hubby is very helpful. He worked as an RN for several years before changing professions so he knows how to provide wonderful care. I could never give myself that tummy injection :rolleyes:

In for a day of ice, elevate, rest, and pain meds...............You take care too.
 
horsecrazy how ironic! The similarities!!! What happened to your hip? I am absolutely terrified of needles so thank God they put me on the pill form of blood thinners! No way I could have done the injections!!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: you are even brave to let your hubby do them!!!
 
I hope they put me on the pill form, injections just sound terrifying. :yikes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom