TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Hi all,
A knee update. If I stand more than a few min. it gets quite stiff and I have to sit down. I am trying to do some volunteer work and I get so discouraged that I cannot stand for very long. Is this normal 6 months out? They are very understanding and say I can sit and do work. I have been surprised by this. Walking is better, but not for long periods of time. I would love some feed back on this.
~~hopefaith
 
Hello Mary Jean @hopefaith
I have avery similar reaction after my TKR (17 July 2014).

When standing or walking after about 5-7 minutes the knee gets very stiff and uncomfortable and almost inflexible.

It makes walking or standing uncomfortable, but most of the time I try to work through the stiffness and keep on going.

I had my 12 week review with my OS last Thursday and told him that this was my main post op concern. He told me it could last anywhere from 6 to 12 months. And that it wasn't an unusual outcome after a TKR.

That wasn't too encouraging for me to hear from him, but at least he told me that is was very common.

Don't know if my experience helps you, but just letting you know I understand about the sore stiff knee feeling.

Take care,
Cathie
 
Does the knee loosen up once you've gotten off your feet? That's the way mine is--it gets stiff when I stand, but is gradually starting to loosen up more quickly after I sit down for a little while. I think that happens to a lot of us.
 
@kneeper @hopefaith

My knee stay stiff wether standing or sitting.
Once it gets stiff it can stay that way for several hours. It just seems to ease out by itself.

This morning after a night's sleep, it is stiff.
Did a few stretches before coming down to breakfast, but no change.

Hopefully, after a hot shower it may ease up. Will go for my morning walk after that and have PT in the afternoon.

As my OS told me last week, this is not unusual and will get better over time. But, that the length of time is unpredictable. So, I have to have patience.

Take care,
Cathie
 
@kneeper yes, it does. But I can't do anything where standing is involved. It just gets too stiff and uncomfortable. I definitely notice that I can walk faster and a lot less pain. I actually have moments here and there where I don't think about my knee when I am walking.
 
Hi @hopefaith, sounds good that you are doing volunteer work, but the standing at length at a time, seems to be a bit much. Is there anyway for them to accommodate you with a high stool? Hope all is well with you. I find at work I cannot do anything at any length of time. Cannot sit for too long , nor can I stand at length otherwise my legs will become stiff. Being stuck in traffic causes stiffness. So one must find that happy medium between the two. Glad to be hearing from you. Take good care of yourself. I am glad you have those moments that you don't even think about the knee. I actually think about my knee only on occasion now. There are some days that I forget a had a TKR, but even after coming up to my years' anniversary, I still have those ugh moments. I think when you have other underlying issues it takes a little longer to feel whole again. I wish you a very good night and a blessed day tomorrow. :loveshwr::loveshwr:
 
MaryJean, so glad to hear from you! You sound like the knee is finally coming around and that you are enjoying volunteering. My knee still hurts after walking and standing. Even managed to kick up the fibro/CFS by having the audacity to go shopping for much needed clothing for a few hours! Did you ever decide on a house share person? Thinking of you, Christie
 
Sleep well.
I have to agree with @chestnc my knee sometimes gets stiff after a good workout but it gets stiffer while sitting. Especially driving. It gets stiff, hurts & cramps up then. There seems to be no consistency in this journey.
 
I have been reading your thread but not posting much lately. Just popping by to say I hope things are improving and that I still think about you. Take care.
 
@hopefaith Hi there! Hope today is a great day for you. Hubby's first knee is great, occasional pain once in a while, occasional stiffness. Knee 2 is a different story, more pain and stiffness, but we are walking every day and he says it is helping. We walk between 1/2 mile and a mile a day.
 
Hi Mary Jean! How have you been doing? Been thinking about you. Feeling very dragged down right now with the cellulitis on the right reconstruction having returned again after 2 1/2 weeks. Also, low grade fever and just feeling yuck. Take care, Christie
 
I am back after being away. I have missed you all soooo much. I am icing my knee as I "write ". It still needs some attention and have been unable to give it such so it feels really good! How have you all been? I will be visiting several threads today and tomorrow.
~hopefaith
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom