Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Hello MaryJean, @hopefaith .
It's good to hear from you again.

You're still making progress, which is great.
Some knees do take longer than others to recover and I'm beginning to think that even a year is a conservative estimate for full recovery. Perhaps two years really is more realistic?

My latest TKR is now 14 months old and, although it's done well, it does still give me the occasional reminder that it's still only a toddler.

Keep moving forward, and post when you feel like it. :friends:
 
I suspect many of us didn't feel the new knee(s) were truly "ours" until 2 years out. I know I continued to develop range of motion well after the 1st year and even now (3 - yes 3!! I missed righty's birthday on the 30th!) years, they still have a slight tightness sometimes. But they also took me on a 65 mile hike without any issues at all. I just treasure those little "reminders" as evidence of the miracles in science that allowed us to ave new knees, rather than continuing with unbearable pain! Keep the positive attitude ... it makes all the difference.
 
Hello all! I decided to give another update since I really wished people would come back and report. I am 22 months out.
I have noticed in the past 2-3 months that I am able to walk faster, use stairs without holding on and can take stairs pretty quickly.
I still have stiffness in the morning but nothing like the first year. It has been very very gradual and I don't notice how much I have progressed until I look back.
I think it is more of a 2 year process for a lot of people.
I can't say it feels like "my knee", but it is a lot better than the first year.
I won't have my other knee done unless it absolutely necessary. It doesn't hurt much anyway.
I don't think about it much which is a very good sign.
This is a major major surgery and it is not for the faint of heart.
~~MaryJean AKA hopefaith
 
How terrific to hear how well you are doing MaryJean! I am sure that will be encouragement to so many fellow Smarties!
 
I received an email when hopefaith posted her reply, and felt I should also post an update - it's always helpful when we return and keep folks informed! I had bilateral total knee replacement Jan 6 2014, followed by bilateral MUA Feb 24 2014. After the MUA's, my healing really started picking up, thank goodness - I'd been froze at 53 degree bend in both knees. I think roughly by early October 2016 I was able to function pretty well, was back working full time in outside sales, and just living life. Now I'm able to tolerate kneeling, though the sensation is still weird. I haven't noticed any limitation of bend doing normal stuff, and certainly have typical strength, flexibility, and stamina - best of all for me is I don't dread stairs at all. I didn't regain full ROM, but it's pretty darned close! I haven't had pain, either, which is the best relief of all. So, just past 2 years since original surgery, coming up on 2 years since MUA's, and I don't regret my decision in any way. I'd certainly encourage others that are at the point of considering BTKR to move forward with it - just keep your eye on a finish line that's a bit further out than what we'd like :)
 
Hello @hopefaith

It's so lovely to hear from you. You are sounding so positive and good. Oh how pleased am I to read how your mobility has improved. I know we both had very challenging recoveries (along with others) and it's nice to come through and out the other side.

I completely agree with you about the two year recovery for some of us, you are spot on right there.

Please look after yourself and I wish you a continued positive recovery Mary Jean xxx

(((Big hugs)))

Love Ann xx
 
@Celle,

Glad to read you are doing great! My 1st knee was also a 1-2 year process. I felt amazing that September 2013 when without even thinking I surprised myself hopping down the stairs at work. My ltka was done on Apr 2011!

Hope your other knee will hold on a long time. Mine did not, just got the rtka done on Feb 24. The one thing that help at this time early in the recovery is that however difficult it may be or slow...there is light at the end and a great active life awaits in a bit!
Thank you for your update!
 
Hello all,
It is time for my two year follow up report. So I don't think about my knee much anymore (a very good sign)
I still have pain right below my knee cap on the left side when I press on it. This worries me some.
I can walk decent distances with little discomfort.
I put ice on it very occasionally just because it feels good.
I was going through tremendous emotional pain soon after,my TKR so I know that slowed my healing some.
For many this is a two year process . The second year improving much more quickly. I am amazed how quickly I can take stairs. However, I will have to be in a LOT more pain before I have the left one done (if ever)
I know I gave an update recently, but I promised myself I would come back because some don't and I know it means a lot to those of you in the trenches to hear it DOES get better.
TKR people are warriors. It is a tough but valuable teacher. I am much stronger in many ways because of it.
xxxlove to you all,
Hope faith (MaryJean)
 
Great to hear of your progress MaryJean! And yes, it does help those currently in the throes of recovery hear that things will get better!
 
It's great to hear from you again, MaryJean! I love your photo, too.
I'm glad things are going well for you.

I wouldn't worry about that little bit of pain. It will probably fade in time. When you think about the size of the knee implants, they are really a huge foreign body in there, and it's not surprising our knees complain a little bit. My TKRs are a) 4 years and b)18 months old, and both of them give me an occasional niggle now and then.
I allow them that and stop doing what hurts them. I'm so thankful to have them - so much better than the old, arthritic knees!
 
Mary Jean how lovely to see you've posted. Btw I love your new hairdo it's so gorgeous. I'm pleased to read that you are progressing so well.

I'm glad I had my other knee done now. I finally am more mobile due to this but I totally understand you not wanting the other one done. I said mine would have to be dropping off but as it happened it went bone on bone so the decision was made for me.

I totally agree with you when you say it does get better because it really works that way. That feeling of improved mobility and less pain is fantastic isn't it? Emotional pain or stress definitely doesn't help with recovery but sometimes it's unavoidable.

You look oh so well!!!!

Love Ann xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom