Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Hopefaith, you can get tendonitis in your patellar tendon. It does not take much after a TKR. When you do not need the tape, you won't use it, until then go ahead and use the tape.
Glad to hear you are moving onto another PT, seems you have outgrown the one you have been seeing.
It is hard for PT's when they do not see concrete progress. You have to tell them the little things that have improved, so they know they are helping.
They have it drummed into them that if there is no progress, time to discharge. This attitude is changing very slowly.
 
@Dhare63 I really should find your thread. I have been going to my therapist for years. Sometimes I don't think she connects, but a lot of times I do. It is a journey and it is one day (sometimes one moment) at a time. There are some new treatments out there for resistant depression if you would like, I could pm you.
I am finding it is helpful, a very big commitment, but so worth it to me.

My knee is feeling pretty good today despite a lot of rain and barometric changes. My fibro. really was acting up yesterday. (I think when I told Olivia we are not going back to that Physio. she perked up:heehee:)
I can actually say I am feeling a little better. I don't dread each day when I wake up. That is a big change for me.
I also think my knee is starting to heal now that I am not so emotionally distraught. I often wonder if I "talk" too much about my depression on here, but it is my thread and anyone can stop reading at any time. :yes:
Again and again, I don't know what I would have done without this site. It is truly a God send.

Many x x x
~hopefaith
 
@Pumpkln I had a good laugh about the sledge hammer to the knee caps. It is one thing to intellectually understand a TKR and as we all know, it is an entirely another thing to go through it and really know what it is like. I also would like to admit I don't know what a revision is like, because I have not experienced that. You all go in a whole other admiration place for me.

~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith

Hello,
I was 7 weeks post-op on Thursday.

Recovery is slow, Flexion at 95degrees & extension still at 8.
Had a bend in my operated knee for a number of years, so extension will be hard.

Pain still 24/7 to some degree and knee still fairly stiff throughout the day. Still taking pain medication three times per day /every 8 hours.

Attending 1-1PT on Monday in my local Physiotherapy Clinic and one day a week for 5 weeks attend a group (4 to 6 of us) post TKR OT exercise group, it's a lot of fun and the hour flys by.

Walking 30 minutes with my one cane usually 3 times per day and luckily the Irish rain has stayed away during my walking times.

In general, taking it one day at a time. Some days better than others, some days a little less good than the day before.

Take care and have a good weekend
( although, everyday seems like a weekend day with me during recovery and not working )

Cathie. :flwrysmile:
 
@hopefaith Love the new photo! I agree with Cathie, this is your thread, we are here to support each other! I have no problem with you talking about depression. It is something you are going through and when you need an ear or shoulder that is what we are here for.
 
I agree with tiredwife, this is the place to air all your feelings, good or bad! You never know if someone here has had the same feelings and can relate! We can all help each other get through the weeks of pain and misery!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Hopefaith, thanks for the shout out! Please feel free to share info via pm, I am interested.

I had a wonderful therapist who helped me through a great deal of strife many years ago. She helped me to differentiate between what I could and could not change. Just that simple awareness was needed. She retired about 7 years ago though and since there hasn't been anyone I feel was as invested in my well being as she was.

I guess that's why I adore my OS the way I do. He was disappointed when things didn't go well and ecstatic when we turned a corner. I've known him for more than 10 years and he is simply the best. Unfortunately, I will have to see him again and have my hip checked out. I'm getting a lot of pain in the left hip, same side as my TKR. It's been nagging at me for some time and I can't put it off any longer. I did pledge however that this was going to be a surgery free year, so hopefully I can get by with a cortisone shot for now.

As for your thread, it is yours to direct and guide. No worries as long as you find friendship in the sharing!

If you look for my profile and look for threads started by me, then you can find mine. I don't post on it often but did celebrate my 3 year anniversary TKR, and 2 year anniversary revision in mid August.

Enough for now, time to get to bed. Do take care!

Dawn
 
Hi @hopefaith - how are you today my lovely?

(Ha ha - I don't know where that came from, it just seemed to crawl out of my fingers and onto the keyboard. FYI - 'my lovely' is a real West country ..... Somerset/Devon phrase - and best said with an 'Ooo Ahh' accent. Pronounced more 'moy luverly' )

I am so glad you have fired the physio. I am using kinesio for my Achilles on the other leg and it seems to be helping lots and I also chose hot pink and also black. I was tempted by an Argylle pattern, and Union Jack print - but as hubby is having problems with the weird strapping that is needed, I tried to keep it simple :heehee: so as not to offend too greatly.

You were absolutely right about the Dr Seuss quote I put on @Pumpkln's thread about people minding and not mattering. I use the quote a lot but did not know it was Dr Seuss. I went on to look up more of his 'quotable quotes' and was amazed at how many of the ones I use are from him. The man was a genius! Anyway here is another one for you ........... hope you have a good weekend.

XXXOOOXXXX

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
 
Love that Dr. Seuss quote @dogwheels! So true.

@hopefaith, I have not been on your post in a while. Sorry I have missed what has been going on. Sounds like dumping your PT may be a step in the right direction for you. I agree with everyone else. You can say whatever you want on your own thread. Based on the number of people that are responding to your thread, I don't think anyone minds. Speak your mind - that's what the forum is all about.

Hope you find a new PT that takes better care of you and listens to your needs.
 
@hopefaith

Sunday morning 8:10 am in Dublin and the sun is shinning !

In Ireland we are always amazed when the sun shines, as we always hope for it, but still find it unexpected when it does !

Hop the you have a pleasant day and have a chance to get out for a short walk with your dog today.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I am not able to sleep this very early morning, so I thought I would post. My knee did very well yesterday and I was even able to wear jeans over the scar. That is a milestone for me. Admittedly I wanted to rip them off at the end of the day....awwww, but was able to wear them for awhile.
Yesterday was a melt down afternoon. At least I know I can go there and come out the other end. I know what triggered it, but will not go into it.
I went to church last night and the talk was very timely about going through very tough times. It seems that whatever I am going through the talk speaks to me. (and others say that too.)
I think of all of you going through very tough times with your knees. @Nana Moon 27 @doglover3 @Pumpklin
@msmechanics @71 beetle @Judlepip @busylizzie @Old Texan @Quasi @Karringtyn and whoever I have forgotten please forgive me, it is 2:00 a.m. and my brain is fuzzy.
@Jozilla I am thinking of you in your upcoming surgery on Monday. The very best to you and let them know when you need pain meds and whatever you need. I think we all have realized we have to be our own advocate.
It is definitely a long journey in so many ways and stretches our patience beyond anything we could have imagined....some way more than others.
warmly as always,
x x x
~hopefaith
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom