Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

I don't like your PT anymore either HF. What a moronic thing to say. DO NOT let his ignorance make u question yourself.

Pain under your knee could be your paella. It seems very easy post TKR to give ourselves tendinitis. Boo

I'm so glad the chair exercises work for you! I found them challenging, but not painful.

I'm sorry you had a bad weekend. We are the same in that holiday weekends are kinda depressing when u don't have a partner. This was actually the first holiday weekend in a looking time that I was okay with. It will get better my friend. Xoxox
 
He says at this point I should have no pain in my knee because it a prosthesis and therefore shouldn't be hurting.
So this must mean I will be pain free in 5 days. :shrug: I wish, but I do not think so.
You probably have pain below the knee where the quads attach to the tibia.
Nana Moon is right, it takes a year or more for some of us to heal. @patient 99 took a good 18 months.
Some times I just want to take a sledge hammer and bang their kneecaps a few times, so take that...You....:whistle:
Not really, but just for a moment.:heehee:
 
Hi Hopefaith,

I saw your post on Pumpkins thread and thought I would stop by your thread and introduce myself. It seems I may have hit on something you can relate to. It's hard some days and these last several weeks have been really challenging for me. I only read a few posts about the long weekend...I actually scheduled time off for the rest of the week but can't stand to be away. All I do is watch movies and simmer.

Anyway, hello and i look forward to getting acquainted!

Be well,

Dawn
 
@hopefaith

At my 1-1 PT session on Monday I did ask my PT had she seen videos of TKR & THR surgery and other surgeries.

She told me as part of her four year Physiotherapy degree, she would have also been in the operating room during surgeries to actually see various types of surgeries during her third and fourth year of her degree.

In addition to seeing many videos on surgical procedures ( hysterectomies, various orthopaedic surgeries from knees to spines to elbows to hips, etc.)

Knowing this, gives me great faith in her and find that our sessions meet my needs and not her needs.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
I don't like your PT either @hopefaith. I rather unkindly wish complicated BTKRs on all of them that are unsympathetic - but then I am just plain nasty!


**** Dogwheels' Thought for the Day ****

Too often, we lose sight of life's little pleasures.
Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown,


But, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm
and whack that idiot around the head!


XXX
 
@hopefaith Do what madinana did and take your cane to threaten to bop your PT in the head if they say or do something stupid! It gets me angry how some pt seem to think this was an easy surgery. We are lucky to have good therapist for hubby, but so many of you are not. Do they think people are lying about their pain? What reason would they have? They really need more compassion! How can they check on your tissue in the leg? An xray doesn't show anything does it? I don't think you can have an MRI with metal in you. Would an ultrasound work? Maybe they need to figure out what is causing the pain instead of telling you that you shouldn't be in pain!
 
I am a little frustrated with my Physio. today. He says at this point I should have no pain in my knee because it a prosthesis and therefore shouldn't be hurting. I have pain underneath my knee. He says if walking causes some pain to realize it is just the quad (below the knee??) hurting and to keep walking. I need some input here. He says the pain I have with the stairs is due to quad weakness, which makes more sense to me. He says all tissues are completely healed by now so it is my brain that has not adjusted to my new knee. I buy some of this but today I wasn't feeling very good emotionally and I wanted to tell him some not so nice things. :mute:

~~hopefaith

Your PT is wrong! No wonder you got angry with him. I wish you had told him some negative things!
Do you really still need to go to him, or could you find a more sympathetic PT?

It takes a full year, or even more, before all your soft tissues are completely healed, so it's quite likely that you will still feel some pain.

I agree with him about the stairs and the quads, but not with anything else he said.

For what it's worth, my right TKR is 2 years, 9 months old and it still caused me some pain when I was staying at my daughter's house. She has stairs, and I was going up and down them several times a day. My own house has no stairs. The unaccustomed stair activity did cause my knee some pain. It's gone again now I'm home.
 
@hopefaith Hubby had his really good PT (very knowledgeable) today and I talked to her about your pain below the knee. She said that is were the patella tendon attaches. She said you could have some inflammation in there. She told me there is a band you can wear around it (patella band I think she called it) that will put a little pressure on it and could help with the pain. It might be worth checking out!
 
@Celle thank you for your support. I will not be going to him anymore. I think he helped me for awhile and I got off the crutch with some of his input, but now what he is saying isn't working for me. @tiredwife thank you for asking that question for me. That was very thoughtful. @dogwheels I tried to post this this morning but it erased the whole thing. You often make me smile but the above post caused a true chuckle. :) @marmora I am glad your physio listens to you and is a good fit.
~~hopefaith





 
Hi @hopefaith - glad my post made you smile. I can think of a few people I would like to use those 4 muscles on!

@tiredwife 's point about the patella tendon was helpful.
I would also say that a good dollop of the discomfort I have had (and still have when I overdo) is in that same area under and curving around the inside perimeter of my knee. I queried it with my OS and he said that he wasn't at all surprised, as most of the work was done in that portion of the knee, and it would take a good time for all the bits that had been interfered with to settle and calm down. Not sure if that is generally the case, or just in respect of my weird and wonderful knee - but I have carried that thought with me when I get twinges there. I like to have a reason for things, it kind of makes them a bit more palatable than an ouch for an unknown reason.

Anyways @hopefaith, I am off to bed now - the paint fumes from the decorating we have had done, have finally got to me. Thank goodness its all finished now and the painters have gone. I made a start on putting things back, but gave up, watched TV and ordered pizza instead. Ha ha.

Take good care of yourself now!

XXXX
 
Hi! Just got home last night, had PT today and now hurt like heck. Think part is the fibro acting up. That does have an effect on our recovery.
The last thing you need is an irrational PT. Even with my partial from March 19 I still have tissue pain. I also had that same type of tendon pain and followed Jo's advice to give it rest. You have complicated issues you are dealing with so your poor body doesn't want the extra pain.
What a stupid thing your PT said to you! I'm glad you won't be seeing him again. I feel sorry for his patients-to-be. Glad this weekend is over for you. I owe you a letter and will do one this weekend. (I'll let you know what my rhuematologist says tomorrow about fibro sensitivity and flare ups during PT.)
 
@dogwheels Hubby says he doesn't get pain right below his knee but sometimes his shin hurts a little, most of his pain is above the knee.
 
Thank you for all of your support. This is why I love this site. Yes, I would have liked to box his ears.
I won't be going back. @Pumpkln yes, that is where he said the quad attached. Why does it hurt?
He also said I should be "getting away" from using the kinesotape because I wouldn't "want to be using tape on my knee forever." Seriously? I bought some hot pink and who knows, it may be my new fashion statement forever!
@Dhare I am glad you visited my thread. I have dealt with depression for most of my life. I have had a major break up about the same time I had my TKR. I think I really understand the depth of what you are talking about. I am sorry it is so hard (I truly think I know.)
~hopefaith
 
:flwrysmile:Hi Hopefaith,

Doesn't it feel good to make a decision and advocate for yourself! It's amazing to me how some pt are so disconnected to what the experience is like for the patient, and of course the comment relates to many professionals who treat us. I think perhaps my expectations are set too high based on the level of knowledge and compassion that we find here. I also think we should set that bar high so we can all recover and regain our active lives again, however that may be defined.

As for depression, well that's another ball game. I stopped going to a therapist some time ago as I didn't feel she connected nor really understood what I needed. I should and will try again to find someone I can trust and work with to help me think through the clutter that is my mind.

It is hard some days, and life does move along. I think you do understand....

Be well,

Dawn
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom