Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

My knee is still uncomfortable. I wonder what it should feel like at this stage. I wonder what other people's knees feel like when they go up and down stairs.?

@hopefaith I am about 1 month ahead of you. I could go up and down stairs and slopes on the golf course at around the three month mark but I would get a little twinge of pain on the lower outside quadrant of my operated knee. I would say for the last month that has totally gone away. My knee does not feel "normal", yet, but tight or stiff (not sure how to describe it) but nothing that I would refer to as pain.
 
@Phil75070 I wouldn't describe mine as pain, unless I walk a lot and then I get some of that popping which my PT says is the IT band. It is still "tight". If I extend it for long periods of time it gets very stiff to flex it.
@GloriaHornby I saw your post over on Tamsmom's thread and wanted to respond to your concern about pain meds. You just had a very traumatic surgery. There are many good articles about this on the site. You need pain meds. I was on them for almost 4 months, others longer. I needed them and the good folks on here kept reminding me that if I needed them, take them. I was in a lot of pain and very much needed them. I tapered down off them VERY slowly and I have had no "addiction" type response to getting off of them. Some need them longer, it is very individual. Have you started your own recovery thread? Hope so, then others can come on and encourage you too. It is a wonderful site with so many people that support one another.
keep posting
~~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @ralfski, I see you are new here and welcome to BS. You will get a wealth of information here and meet wonderful folks here. Hope you are feeling better. Did you have more or less pain with the 1st TKR? Have you started your own thread on this site. I hope you are felling better soon. Nothing better than trying to heal, so exercises and not feel well or having good pain relief. Hope all gets better soon. Again :welome:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @hopefaith my friend, sorry you are a bit under the weather. Sometimes my knee is stiff when going down stairs and sometimes I actually can go some days and not remember I even had the knee replaced. Today it is raining and due to the RA my back is in a lot of pain and the TKR is throbbing. I am wondering when I will be able to get my exercises in for today. The back is really giving me a lot of problems. But we must forge on because what else can we so. I have just about got my house where I want it to be as far as cleaning. Just have to file papers and go through the mail and I will be done. Hope you are feeling tip top soon. Take good care of yourself. Have a great week, hopefully without pain. :chillpill: :friends:
 
@hopefaith

My Right TKR is 2 years, 9 months old. It's been good. However, I recently spent 2 months staying with my daughter in her house in England. Her house has stairs and I was going up and down stairs several times a day.

With a deteriorating left knee, my right TKR knee had to do most of the work. I had been able to do stairs occasionally at home, but the added stress of doing it several times every day made my TKR knee ache.

I guess it was added activity and strain that my knee was not accustomed to. Now I'm back home, in a house with no stairs, it has settled down again and I found I could do the stairs in the shopping mall last week, with no pain.

So, I guess an artificial knee could always be a bit more sensitive than a natural knee.
 
Hiya cutie! Sorry I'm late to the 'quad strengthening party', but one of the best ones I found, as I was (and still am) unable to do full squats, is to sit on a chair scootch your tush towards the front, hold your arms out (so you're not tempted to 'push off') and just stand and sit about 10 times (or as many times as you can). I still have issue with stairs. I don't know if this would have gotten better if I had stayed in my old 2 story house, but even with just a sunken living room (1 lame half step down), I still have issues. Unlike Phil, my pain was (and still is) on the inside of my knee and not the outside. Everyone does recovery differently and this just goes to show....

I'm glad you're taking your pup for walks and it's not too hard on your knee! I know that getting out together is good for you both! I'm proud of you HF....keep up the great work!! xoxo
 
@DogLoverx3

Hi Ellen,

That is a very good exercise for the quads, I was introduced to this last week at my Group PostTKR session last week. It is one that I am building up the number of times I can do in one go and at about 8 and hoping to build up to ten. You certainly can feel the quads working and that is what my OS told me that I needed to work on when I saw him last week.

@hopefaith
Hope that your have good weather, so that you and your pup can continue to enjoy your walks.
As Chris @Pumpkln suggests maybe asking your PT about using a soft roll to help stretch out your IT band. I had problems with my IT band a few years ago and found this very helpful, I still have the roll- but haven't needed to use it after this TKR.

Have a good day and know that you are thought of,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning @hopefaith. Glad to hear that your doggy has been taking you out for some nice slow walks.

@chestnc - my PT gave me the same stretch exercise to help with the pesky stiff muscle on the inside back of my knee. It's a double whammy as I use the same stretch for the Achilles tendon problem I have on the other leg. I do the stretch leaning against a table or the kitchen worktop. I find it really helpful - but would add to anyone wanting to try it : Make sure that the leg that you are stretching is perfectly straight when going into the stretch. You can do this by ensuring that your foot of that leg is facing straight forwards. It doesn't stretch properly if you are a bit skewed. I usually do this on a tiled floor and line my foot up against the edge of one of the tiles, to make sure I am 'lined up'.

@hopefaith - going up and down stairs easily is something that comes with time. I have had heaps of practice at our other place, as it is on 4 levels, and it has helped. It really does get easier the more you do it. A few weeks ago, I used to use the bannister one side and occasionally would have to steady myself with the other hand when coming downstairs - now I just use the bannister, and do it really easily. I think it is a balance, bend and confidence thing.
Although I was able to do stairs quite early on, my knee did feel stiff, particularly descending as you need more bend to do that.
At first I made myself do the stairs at least once a day, then 3 times a day, then finally I said to myself don't wimp out, just do it! I only 'double step' now if I am carrying a lot of things downstairs.

My biggest problem now, when I go out, is that I have to take a bottle of hand sanitiser with me. I haven't got to the point of using stairs or stepping down from things without holding on yet and I torture myself with the thought of all the other hands that have held that rail or handle, and where those hands may have been! Sorry but cant help being a bit OCD!

Hope you have a good day

XXX
 
@msmechanic58 I hear you. I am getting more active and my knee is not so sure about it. How does one gauge all of this? I am at a loss right now. I don't really have pain. It just feels uncomfortable and not completely strong. I have to do stairs many times per day.
Last night I woke to a somehow twisted TKR knee in the middle of the night. It hurt so,bad trying to get it back to normal. It feels okay this morning however. Have not had that happen before.
I hope you all are having a good morning and afternoon!
~~hopefaith
 
I love this quote. It is not mine.
@dogwheels put it on her thread awhile ago. I have had it for years on a card a doc gave me.
(a wonderful neurologist)
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
" I will try again tomorrow". "
Maryanne Radmacher

~~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
:loveshwr::loveshwr:Good morning @hopefaith, hope this Labor Day finds you feeling well this am. I have my mom today and she is still sleeping so I will get her up in a few minutes. Have a slight headache and knee soreness so I am trying to let the meds work before I start assisting her with her daily needs. We will have a light breakfast as my older son will bar-b-que today. He takes after his dad in that aspect all the way.
@dogwheels, I am like you as well when it comes to the OCD and hand washing situation. I actually walk through the clinic I work in with a paper towel to open door handles with and I take a paper towel with me when I am riding public transportation along with Purell in my handbag and car. You know what is gross when you think about it is the handle to the pump when you pump gas into your car. I know if we sat down and thought of al the things with germs on them we would want to wrap ourselves in a bubble. Hope everyone has a blessed and pain-free day.
 
Hi @hopefaith - yes 'our quote' is pretty special. It is also special because it got us chatting on here :friends:.

Sorry about the twisted knee - I have occasionally read of that happening to others .

Here's another quote in the same vein ......

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
XXXXX
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom