Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

@hopefaith He is at a 6 now, his appointment with the surgeon is Tuesday, but I might have to call today and see if they can do something for all these pain spikes.
 
@tiredwife Does he have breakthrough meds.? That helped me a lot. I was on very high doses of pain meds. and I am off all but Tylenol now. I hope he/you have a doc. that listens and adjusts his pain meds. This is a big soap box for me. Nobody should be in that kind of pain. A 6/10 is not okay. I feel so bad for him and you the caregiver. My very first post shows the doses of my pain meds. Those kept me at a 4....I have a very low pain threshold, which thanks to many on here have validated that everyone is different and it was okay to need the pain meds. I needed. (Now I am really on the box....sorry.)
I just really want him to get relief...
Many thoughts/prayers
~~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith he is on 2 Percocet 5-325mg every 4 hours, he has some flexural (but that doesn't seem to do anything) That was plenty with knee one, but not this one. He sees his surgeon Tuesday and wants to wait until then to see about getting different meds. His pain is a high 4 right now. Finally made it all the way downstairs to sit in the recliner, he can get more comfortable in it, just means he has to climb more stairs every time he has to pee.
 
Hi everyone. @tiredwife do you have a container he could urinate in? Beats going up and down stairs when he is in pain. I don't think it would hurt to call his OS today either. That was the dosage of Percocet that I took so I am sure he may need perhaps just another 5 mg. to get his pain level down. Let us know how he makes out!

@hopefaith - how are you feeling? I hope you have seen some improvement and keep you in my thoughts!
 
@Jozilla the nurse is suppose to be by today and she is suppose to contact the surgeon for us. He said to tell you the stairs are part of his exercise program. It was hard enough for him to use the urinal jug at the hospital.
 
Glad the nurse is stopping by today! Hope she gives you some answers. Steve - I had to go up and down stairs at PT each time i went. At home though I didn't go up the stairs for a couple of weeks. Luckily I live in a split level and had a recovery fortress on the first level.

I honestly think you just need a little stronger med as you know how to ice, elevate and take your meds on time. Hope the nurse helps you out. It seems I was always low on pain meds on a Friday.

I try not to think about my upcoming tkr and can't wait for it to be over! I hope you and Steve are both around for support!

Loved the photo of your grandson. He is adorable. My granddaughter is waiting for me at home - she is 12 and got herself sick in the pie eating contest at summer camp. She was trying to defend her title. Last year she beat all the boys! Lol she is so much fun.
 
@Jozilla the nurse called the surgeon's office for us and we are waiting for a call back from them. If it wasn't for the pain this knee would be doing a lot better that the first.
He is use to the stairs because of his first knee, it is a split level with 7 steps up to the bathrooms/bedrooms from the kitchen and 6 steps down to the tv room from the living room (which is on the same level as the kitchen and dinning room) .
We will be around bonesmart for quite a while!
Our grandson is 3 will be 4 in January. Hope your granddaughter's tummy is better. Did she win?

@hopefaith How has your day been? Hopefully the surgeon will get hubby some different pain meds, still waiting for them to call. Right now his pain is down to a 4. I would be much happier with a low 3, and I don't like that some of his pain spikes hit 7 and 8, don't think they should be above a 5. Hate seeing him in pain.
 
@hopefaith Thank you, I hate sidetracking anyone's thread! I know I have at times. Anyway the OS left a script at the ER (because he knew I couldn't make it to his office by closing last night), so I picked it up last night and got it filled. Switched him to 12 hour oxycodin. Last night his pain didn't get above a 5. Hopefully it will get below a 4 today. You have a great day!
 
@tiredwife The long acting is what really helped me. I still needed breakthrough regularly. They wouldn't increase the long acting dose, which is what would have help keep me at a 4-5. So, I used the short acting as ordered for breakthrough. Use the breakthrough if he needs it. (If the doc. said it was okay) Did he/she also order breakthrough as needed?
I really hope his pain is managed by now. How I know what that is like. It is no fun at all.
~~hopefaith
 
My Knee update: I still ice about 2 times/day. I stopped taking the Tylenol because I didn't think it worked.
I was wrong.
It does work somewhat, so I am back on Tylenol. I have soreness on the bottom right of my right knee (TKR knee) My NP said it is synovial fluid from any swelling. That is where it goes because of that area of the knee is where that can go. It is dependent on my activity. The back of my knee isn't hurting the past few days....knock on wood. I still feel so limited in activity. @zlady talked about grocery shopping. That is the worst. I miss getting out to walk distances like I used to.
~~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith Can they drain the fluid? Glad the back of your knee isn't hurting, hope it stays that way!
The OS just wrote the script for the 12 hour, I talked to the pharmacist and she told me he can use a Percocet for the breakthrough pain, but wait 4 hours after taking a Percocet to take the 12 hour oxycodin again. At least he hasn't had any bad spikes last night! You take care of yourself!
 
@tiredwife I don't know if it is something to be drained. They took some fluid off at 3 weeks when I went clomping (my new word) down the stairs. (that story is in a very early post), but this seems dependent on activity, so I don't know. His office is so far away.
How is hubby's pain now that he is on the L.A. med.? I hope much better. (:
~~hopefaith
 
@Quasi has quoted some of C.S. Lewis and I love his writings. One quote I especially like is "Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point."
I think this surgery, and I cry as I write these words tests courage to its core. So, I think of all of you and the courage to keep going through, what a lot of us had no idea what we were about to embark on. It is courage one step at a time. I admire all of you. (and I am so glad to be back on this site regularly.)
~~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith Maybe your regular doctor can do something about it! Could just be internal swelling. Hubby's pain still isn't below a 4 but he doesn't get those high spikes now. He can get comfortable now instead of wiggling all over trying to find a good position. It is helping.
 
Hi @tiredwife I'm so sorry to read of your husbands pain. I do hope it settles down soon. Stairs are awful. I had to live upstairs for the first few weeks of my TKR. I couldn't cope with the stairs when I needed a wee! One day I went up and down sixteen times, eight up and eight down my knee was murderous!

@hopefaith how are you getting on? if they do say you need your knee draining or cortisone shots don't be put off by the fact that it didn't work for me. It turns out I have a patella problem. The kneecap is catching on the joint apparently and this is the suggested cause of all my problems! I'm going in for this corrective surgery on 22nd September, I will be 8 months post op on 2nd September!!! I hope this sorts it, I need to go back to work, half pay is better than no pay but it's not easy. I've done well though, I've budgeted well so we can take the kids up to our caravan. The fuel money is put by, most of the shopping is done (I went bargain hunting) my husband still has to drive because I take 80/90 mg a day of Morphine and 1000mg Paracetamol (Tylenol) for pain relief. My husband has to take me shopping and everything.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom