TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Eeeek! @hopefaith's thread has turned into an old fashioned, homemade remedy site. I just love how that happens on here. Now all we need is for someone to post a wicked alcoholic cocktail that sorts out knee pain in minutes! Although I expect @Phil75070 will be along to say that if you mix it strong enough you will forget all your pains!

My Nan's remedy for a sore throat was to wear a pure silk scarf. Mum kept a couple in the airing cupboard just for that purpose. I thought it looked really daft when I was small. Then there was vinegar and honey (to cut phlegm - ewwww.....) and brandy in milk for an upset tum. Huh! They tried that on me and it made it so much worse, such that no sooner it went down ......... well you can imagine. It was then deemed a waste of brandy. You rub a wedding ring on a stye on your eye (according to Nan it had to be gold, and a wedding ring would always work better). Mum used to knot spoonfuls of oatmeal into a hankie for me to use to wash my face when I was a bit older.

I think honey is brilliant - I buy medicinal grade Manuka honey, it costs an arm and a leg, but it is so good. Leading up to the TKR I had a spoonful every day. We started buying it when one of my daughter's rats had an operation on its belly and decided to chew open the whole operation site. (thankfully I haven't heard of anyone doing that to their TKR incision!) They could not re suture, so twice a day she had to apply manuka honey to the gaping and deep wound, and obviously keep him from having a honey feast! Within 24 hours you could see it healing, and over a period of about a fortnight it filled in and knitted together, beautiful pink skin. Afterwards the only giveaway sign was that the fur didn't grow back there. The vet told us that remarkable results have been achieved with Manuka honey in humans as well as animals - but it has to be the real thing.

@hopefaith - thinking of you today and hoping that it will be a good one - and not just knee-wise.
@Jozilla - yes we do have those nasal strip thingies. Thanks for the suggestion. Husband used to wear them when he played rugby. Sadly he wont wear them to help with the dreaded snoring. I could give them a try, but I love my Vicks (which you probably gathered from my earlier post ;-)

@Quasi - I still massage my scar every day, and still use a mild antiseptic cream - even though it is now fading away really well. My PT told me to do that while it was still quite new - once well healed you can use any moisturiser. When I have a soft tissue massage she uses cream on the knee and down the front of my leg and oil on the muscles at the back of my leg and back of knee. I'm seeing her on Tuesday, I'll ask her why.

Hiya @Gingiebot

Well TTFN (do you know that one @hopefaith? - it means 'Ta Ta For Now' - Ta Ta is a colloquial form of Bye bye)

XXXX
 
My mom was big on home remedies but I don't remember them, @dogwheels. It seems like later they were all oven wrong...like my mom used to pile blankets on when we had a fever till we practically expired and started sweating. Now they say that is the wrong thing to do. I think most of her cures were like that, and I'm lucky to be alive, lol. But your honey sounds interesting. Where do you get it?
 
Hi @Gingiebot - oh dear - pile on the blankets!!! When I lived in Indonesia one of the local ladies who worked for my husband said that having a fever always made her think of food. Evidently when she was very young they could only afford basic air conditioning in one small room in the house - the one where they stored perishable food. So if any of the kids were ill, they made a bed up for them in there amongst the supplies to keep them cool! Just the opposite to your Mum!

I digress, I buy the honey from the supermarket home delivery service that I use - although the higher grades always sell out quickly. My daughter gets hers from a Health Food shop, where they often have the better and therefore more medicinal grades. I even bought Manuka honey pastilles for hubby and daughter when they came down with a cold/cough - hubby liked them as they were not too sweet. If you Google it there is loads of info. It is supposed to be particularly good for cold and cough, skin healing and gastric complaints.

XXX
 
Never a honey fan until I tried "creamed honey" which instead of pouring is spreadable. It can come in all sorts of different flavors. I think my favorite is the cinnamon.

I add whiskey or rum to the lemon and honey.

I think some of you (@71Beetle @Nana moon 27 and especially @dogwheels from some of her previous posts) are misinterpreting the B.S. mantra to "keep elevated". It refers to the knee NOT to the blood alcohol level!
 
This is great! We have a "remedy" thread. @hopefaith do I remember correctly you are a nurse? It is too bad there is not a remedy I know of for knees @dogwheels. We would all be little old ladies without our bionic knees hobbling around. I do believe in a mix of natural cures and modern medicine. My hubby for years has taken alfalfa tablets for his gout but it did nothing for my knees!
 
Absolutely @Gingiebot You are always welcome here! I read some of your story and was so,shocked you went through that! How wonderful that you are doing so well! I have a cardiomyopathy, so surgery was so very frightening for me. ....And aspiration pneumonia? You poor dear. That is awful! So you sound very much on the mend now.:welome:

~hopefaith
 
@Jozilla yes, I am a nurse.
I would sure be sharing any secret about knees. I know we all would! But I have to say the spirits of all of you on here is one of the most healing aspects of my recovery. (I know, I get cheesy sometimes). Not cheeky @dogwheels and @Nana moon 27 that 's different! How would you define "cheeky"?
My UK lesson of the day.

Did any of you drink brewer's yeast? Now that was some nasty stuff to cure anything. (Supposedly) My Mom would down a thick glass every morning and I started doing it. I cringe just remembering how that tasted.
I think she did it for weight control and she was always at a very good BMI. I admire how she was so careful how she ate. She lived to be 91, so she did some things right.
She
always ate an apple a day (keeps the doctor away). So I eat at least 2 (not workin so well for me.....:heehee:)
I have loved all,the visits here. Soooo nice to have you all.
I hope your day is peaceful.

My new thoughts are, it is one day at a time and it's okay to break that down into minute increments. :)
<3 <3 <3
~
hopefaith
 
Just had my lunch @hopefaith and no, @Phil75070 I did not chase it down with a glass of wine! Did you not guess the reason why I got off my TKR meds so quickly!!??

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery


XX
 
Love that your thread has morphed into the 'home remedy' forum. ;-) I never knew you could use Vick's for so much! I haven't used it since I was a kid, but like @dogwheels , I did love the smell! I'm absolutely going to try the bottom of the feet trick next time I have a bad cough!

I hope you're feeling better today, my friend. I know it's hard to not get overwhelmed and bogged down with everything, but just know that things will get better. And yes, I do mean everything. Time heals just about everything. Some things just take longer than others. xoxoxoxo
 
@DogLoverx3 especially broken <3 's. (take time)
How are you anyway? Hope you are doing better. It sure is a moving target at any point in the day.
Knee wise, I have found an amazing PT who treats people with other trauma in their life a little differently. I really like him.
I see him again tomorrow, so we'll see if I am still as impressed. If I could get off ALL of my pain meds. I know I would feel better. Tylenol alone, just doesn't cut it yet.
x x x
hopefaith
 
@Phil75070 That creamed honey stuff....I could eat that by the bucket so I never buy it.

@dogwheels I also buy Manuka honey. It is expensive, but mine has lasted forever. It is amazing stuff.

I am having those knee zap/shocks today. yeeeowww. What are those anyway? :holysheep: they hurt, and catch me completely off guard. (I look like I have tourettes or something.) so random.

more,
hopefaith
 
Thanks to everyone who replied to me; you are all so kind! I did have a few rough moments but Amon the mend.

I am interested in the Manuka honey, although I am not a honey fan. But it sounds amazing for healing. As for the blood alcohol level, I keep mine pretty low due to my diabetes. But I bet you guys have more fun.

I keep having nausea, so then I avoid my meds but I start to hurt....catch 22. My pain levels are improving but I'm not at the point where I can forego the drugs yet.

I'm going to try to go to bed early but have such a hard time sleeping. Wish me luck.
 
I am having those knee zap/shocks today. yeeeowww. What are those anyway? :holysheep: they hurt, and catch me completely off guard. (I look like I have tourettes or something.) so random.

more,
hopefaith

Some people call those zaps "zingers". I think it's part of the nerves, regenerating. They do feel odd, don't they?
 
Back
Top Bottom