TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

@Quasi hope your day goes okay. Miss you.

@DogLoverx3 I need to pop over and see how you are.

@busylizie are the antibiotics done? I know when they are you will feel a lot better!

@madinana I hope this second week is going good. Rest a LOT. (:

@cafecortado even though you are on your travels, I am thinking of you. (It didn't let me tag you)

@Nana moon 27 hope your appt. goes well.

x x x

~hopefaith
 
Hello all,
It seems like forever since I posted. I have had a few not fun days and I feel I have missed a lot on here.
I am doing better than the other night. I have been walking without the crutch some. As soon as I limp or hurt I use it again, which is frequently. I am trying to be okay with that. (actually I am trying to be okay with the comments I get when people "still" see me with my crutch.)
How are you all?

@dogwheels I read some about your daughter. I am so sorry that you all are going through all of this. (and as a Mum, you are going through it right with her.)

@DogLoverx3 Thinking of you . . . .

@Jozilla I always appreciate your input here and on others threads.

@Quasi I hope you are doing okay.

@madinana You are almost into your 2nd week of recovery?
I hope you are able to rest a lot and that you are able to ice and elevate a lot....so important at the stage you are at.

@ironman60 How are you doing?

@Phil75070 I am trying to think of some humor, but it alludes me at the moment. How are you and how is your knee treating you?
Enough for now, a beautiful sunrise, a big glowing orange yellow ball in the sky......stunning,
~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @hopefaith - how are you doing my colourful friend??? (Sorry but there is no way that I can return the compliment and spell colourful your way - even though you especially 'anglicised' it for me in your earlier post).

Sorry you have had some poo-ey days and that you are still hurting. Well done though for going 'crutch less' a bit (that will have rude @Nana moon 27 creased up with laughter - she has a mind as dirty as mine!) Just try and do a little bit every day, and increase the distance a bit each time. Some days you will limp just because your darn knee hurts, or your hamstrings hurt or your back aches - I still have days when my walking is not as good as usual. Other times your gait will be much better, just remember to do it as the PT told you, and don't overdo. Doing the same distance regularly will build up your strength in the knee and muscles. I started off just walking down to the end of my road - just 8 houses or so, with 2 crutches. Then I walked a bit further, then a bit further until I could go round the block with the 2 crutches. Next I did the same but with 1 crutch. Finally it was all on my own - it took several weeks to get to that point and it was scary. My PT told me to take my mobile phone with me, just in case. But I did it, and you too will be trotting about without aids, sooner than you think.

It will come @hopefaith, you will get there, but as much as it is good practice to walk with an aid to perfect your gait, at some stage you just have to ditch those 'training wheels' and push off on your own, even if your style of walking suffers a little bit in the process. Little steps and gradual improvement and you will soon come on in leaps and bounds .......................... well leaps and bounds might be a slight exaggeration, there are not many of us here that are leaping and bounding .................. yet!

Meantimes, here's a cute pic for you - let this be a warning, make sure that you be careful and dont overdo .....................!

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery


XXXX
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Very good advice @dogwheels and I love the photo! I am of the opinion if a cane or crutch makes you feel better and more secure use it! My first tkr I found it very comforting and maybe used it as a safety net. My OS was a little upset when he saw me with a cane at 12 weeks. He thought i was still in that much pain from my tkr. I did explain its because of the other knee hurting so much. Gradually I did let it go but if I am walking any distances still need it. Thus my left knee getting done in September. I do have major back issues but am hoping eventually I will not need it! I personally do not care what anyone thinks if I can do what I want with it! You will be surprised though in a few months how much different you feel. I do not relish the thought of another surgery but so want to feel good like my tkr feels! That is at seven months out! My biggest issue last time was my blood - low platelets, anemia and thyroid levels off as well as electrolytes. It took about four months for those to get better. So don't feel bad if you need a crutch! You will get there though our timetables are all different. I am amazed at Dogwheels doing four flights of stairs!!! (((Hugs)))
 
@hopefaith Sorry you are feeling that way. I still take my cane not for use, but to let me see me and move out of the way. It is amazing how people scatter when they see the can or the crutch. This gives me ample room to do my heel toe heel toe movement nice and slow. You will get there. I am diligently working on my hamstrings. My PT person said use a rolling pin on the back of my leg to stretch them as well as tiger balm. It is working. Also the band feeling. I have that as well, I went a couple of days without. I talked to my OS and he said it is swelling and it will go away.
 
@hopefaith our Birmingham accent does not distinguish between crotch and crutch, very well. The local dialect pronounces them both crutch, generally. Therefore when @dogwheels talks about crutch less, up here it can have a different meaning to down South where the pronunciation is nice and correct and distinguishes the two clearly, lol xxxxx :heehee:
Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
@hopefaith
I have missed you and missed being on BS. It's been a long hard tiring (physically and emotionally) week! For so many of us.
Amazing that in a moment, a blink of an eye, we can be consumed with pain if we are not diligent regarding preparing for the possibility of the onset! (Both physically And emotionally). I am sure this statement would apply to your awful day of arbitration as well as your tight band feeling!

Unfortunately, the time goes by so fast that we sometimes cannot absorb all that is happening within and outside of us. What a week of horror and concern worldwide, with Israel , Gaza, Eukraine, Russia ..the loss of lives with the plane crash..So many people hurting .

It makes me feel really small regarding my circumstances in the scheme of things. However, it does not discount them, nor yours or anyone else's in the site going thru this "Journey of the Kneeds" together.
I am so sorry to hear that you also had a bad, sad, horrible no good day week!
[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

I will be sending you a PM! Love & miss you, Sis!
 
@jbucks
I was reading your post and am interested as to what is "tiger balm"? My PT advised me also to use the rolling pin for the numerous knots in my thigh due to pre op condition of knee which is causing the continued intense pain in my knee! Next week I am going to break down and have some "Dry Needle Therapy" to try to break up the knots. My PT has been working on just one, which is the worse one causing most of my sharp pain for two weeks now,, and it is really too painful to continue..it could take forever!

I really hope you're feeling better, and hope the rolling pin works ! I agree with you about the cane/crutch thing!
I am back using walker, as my good knee (non operated) is now acting out and swelling". I don't care anymore what anybody says about it. It helps me feel stable, I.e., that's why my OS said to use it, and falling is definitely something I so don't like to do!
And people have been more than kind when they see me, although it does make me feel oh so old!
Keep up the positive attitude, it does rub off on others! (Like me, and I sure do need it)
:old:
 
@hopefaith .............. Just got back from the shops and bumped into one of my neighbours en route who was a nurse. She asked me how I was getting on, and said how well I looked and how easily I appeared to be walking. I told her that I was doing fine but thought it was a wicked conspiracy that Drs lead you to believe you will be good as new in 8 weeks or so and that it had taken me nearly 6 months to get to this point. She then proceeded to tell me about her brother's TKR ........... and I thought 'Oh no another miraculous success' but she continued to tell me how it took him about a year to recover, to really feel the benefit and live his life to the full again. She said it took him ages to ditch a cane and bend his knee so that he could walk easily - and the rest took even longer. She said it is a nasty operation and that only those that have experienced it really know just how patient you need to be and how much work you have to put in. None of this was solicited, she offered this info completely freely as it is what she has experienced first-hand. I could have hugged her!

XX
 
Wow @jbucks , I haven't heard tiger balm mentioned in 20 years. Almost had another flash back. :wow:
@hopefaith Maybe you could use your crutch to hit ex in crutch as @Nana moon 27 would say. :swoon:
You are sounding pretty upbeat so I hope you are getting closer to putting all this behind you.
I am doing pretty well after my second fall. I just bounce I guess. Trying to slow down but it is tough.
Nobody likes pain as much as I do. :dancy: Rest well.
 
@ironman60
Ok, give me a clue...what the heck is Tiger Balm anyway? And yes, I am old enough that I should know what it is???
 
@Quasi - its an external heat rub that smells pungently of menthol and camphor. Comes in little pots with a tiger on.
I used it a lot when I lived in Asia for headaches, but we can buy it fairly easily here in UK, too.

FYI - A while back my PT told me I could use a heat rub or ibuprofen gel on my leg and thigh muscles, but advised I avoided my knee area that was still swollen a bit. She said the heat would make the knee hot and probably would not feel good - she suggested if I did want to use something, that I used a cooling gel instead.

Hopefully that solves your tiger mystery!

XX
 
@Quasi
Tiger balm is kind of like Vaseline consistency. It has menthol, and some types have cinnamon. It is amazing for muscle pain. If you use it, keep it WAY away from you TKR, and wash you hands well after using it. It would burn like crazy on a TKR scar, I would think. I have some, but not ready to use it because of what I described above. I have kept that in my "cupboard" for years.
~hopefaith
 
@dogwheels
Accents and Countries.....Sooooo interesting.
I loved your colorful......colourful.
I have to agree with your spelling. It just looks better. (How did that even happen? I need a history lesson
on how these words ended up spelled slightly different.....?)

I have been walking more without the "stick" ( tee hee ) But as a couple of people have said, it clears the crowd, and it gives me more confidence, so I usually have it in public. My PT is asking me to walk more and to use it if I have pain. He has a lot to say about the central nervous system, stress hormones and healing. (It sure makes sense in my case.) That being said every knee and person is different.
I was so happy to hear your story above about the person who reported that her brother had a long recovery. It helps me feel more typical. Thank you for telling us that.
Just last night one of my neighbors did the success story about her mother. uuuuggggghhhh.
So, your story brightens my day.
 
@Quasi
It was SOooooo good to hear from you. I miss you. It sounds like you had a very hard, and painful week. I am so sorry that your other knee is hurting so bad. Did you work a full week? It sounds as though you did.
Have you decided about work?
I have okay moments and really hard moments. Today is very hard, but it is a long journey. I loved your snoopy post. (:
thinking of you a lot,
~hopefaith
 
Back
Top Bottom