TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Tiger balm is great! If it is too hot, you can try other things like Icy Hot or even Vicks vapor rub. But please, stay away from anything with capsaicin in it. You can never get it out of your hands, it gets on your clothes, and if you try to wash it off, it just gets hotter.
 
Ha ha @Old Texan - you have just happened to mention something that I (somewhat weirdly) love ......................... Vicks Vapour Rub. Mmmmmmmm ....... something about that smell is so clean and lovely. I know, you now think I am really, truly crazy and must smell a bit odd too!! But it does wonders for clearing my head when I have a migraine. I even decanted a tiny pot and took it in with me when I had my TKR as I really cannot sleep if I cannot breathe through my nose. When I was travelling by plane a lot, a bit used to go up each nostril to keep the smell of the plane, and hopefully the odd circulating bug at bay.

Perhaps it's memories of my Mum rubbing it on when I had a cold? My daughter certainly got the Vicks treatment when she was little and had colds ........ little did she know that rubbing it on her, I could get a surreptitious hit of Vicks!

There, I've confessed it - my name is Dogwheels and I am a Vicks addict!

Here's an interesting Vicks fact for you - did you know that if you have a troublesome cough, rub the soles of your feet with Vicks before you go to bed and you will sleep better and more soundly and the cough wont be as bad. Daughter and I do just that whenever we get one.

That's it for my dissertation on Vicks, I am off to sniff my Vicks pot and go to bed!

XX
 
One more...either the menthol or the camphor is related to catnip. If I use it, I can't get rid of my cat! I have used that stuff for all kinds of ailments my whole life, too.
 
@hopefaith The further one gets from the surgery the easier the recovery seems to have been, at least for me. For example, I had occasion to read my first post in the recovery area and don't recall everything as being that bad, but at the time......Also, people talking about another person's recovery are viewing it from outside that body and have no idea or even concept of the pain, stiffness, discomfort, worry or effort that that that person had to put in to get fully recovered.
 
did you know that if you have a troublesome cough, rub the soles of your feet with Vicks before you go to bed and you will sleep better and more soundly and the cough wont be as bad.

@dogwheels Well of course! You get up in the middle of the night, slip on the floor because of your greasy soles of your feet, hit your head and get knocked out, in which case you may continue to cough through the night but you aren't aware of it. Since you are really knocked out instead of sleeping the coughing doesn't wake you up. :zzz:
 
Very funny. We still love and use Vicks! My children use it for their children - especially liquid form in the vaporizers. @dogwheels do they have sleep band aids over there for the bridge of your nose? My hubby swears by them. Yes, Phil I could see me slipping on the floor with Vicks on my feet! I would wear socks. Lol.
 
@dogwheels @Old Texan , @Phil75070

Ok ok, I get it , I guess I really am not old enough to remember that "Tiger" stuff, but I have to side with @dogwheels ! But don't get me wrong! I just am looking for some soft , non scented moisturizing massaging cream so I can softly massage my painful part of my knee! I don't want to use anything that has fumes (knarly) fumes, gas, arsenic, heat, cold, floating aromas, etc

Dogwheels has it right.. The memories of vapor rub brings loving memories of our mothers taking "gentle and loving "care of us when we were younger! It was soothing and you felt safe and just knew because mom was there that everything was going to be fine!
Definitely NOT what I've experienced with this TKR thing a am jig!
Where is the love? The comfort?

Oh well. Once I can sleep in my own bed without keeping my husband awake , I intend on being comforted. You know, like he will hold me in his arms and HUG me, and rub my back, and tell me everything is going to be all right, even though it won't cuz I'll have to have my other knee done once I find another job? But it will feel so good for the moment! And guys, always remember , it is always "the little things" that mean so much!!

Dogwheels, have you tried using a q-tip to dab some of the Vicks on the inside of each nostril for sinus colds? That also helps with migraines too!

But here is a list for the guys that need to know how handy Vicks is! AND it validates Dogwheels claims!

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 134
Vicks was in my moms house until she discovered my asthma reacted to it! Unfortunately I had to suffer it as my poor brother had to use it a lot. Good job we had separate rooms xxx
 
@Nana moon 27 ,

I also had asthma since I was born. The Vicks vapor rub never bothered me, but I can remember having an asthma attack when I was around 8' and my dad brought my some Vick's cough drops on his way home from work!
Well, about a hour later I was in the hospital in an oxygen tent..you guessed it..I am still allergic to the cough drops!
 
Hi @hopefaith wow your thread is buzzing tonight!!! It's great!!! @Quasi & @Old Texan @dogwheels your stories really did cheer me up. It took me right back to all the old cures my mum and her neighbours would try on me. The one old lady next door used to send around a little brown jar of dreaded chicken essence. I hated it. I was made to eat a teaspoon every day. She swore it worked on me. Well, that might be because I'd recovered naturally! The neighbour the other side would make a remedy from the old country as she used to say and mom would say thank you very much and chuck it down the sink! Another neighbour used to send honey which I also disliked. I used to be force fed cod liver oil which made me gag. The doctor used to prescribe this foul tasting brown medicine yuk! Moms neighbours were a very caring lot but it was a bit much when I was a child. They all had advice and remedies.

Thank you for this. I've really enjoyed reading your posts. It's taken my mind off myself a bit. Catch you all soon

Love Nana moon 27 xx
 
@Nana moon 27 @dogwheels @Quasi did any of you have the mustard packs put on your throat for strept ? Some type,of dry mustard in a muslin pack placed on the affected neck....simply horrid. I have no memory if it worked or not.
 
I remember the mustard packs - I think my mom used that when I had the mumps. I do believe in using local honey though for allergies!
 
Strangely I hated honey when I was young. I like it now. I loved the one in Portugal when I went on holiday there many years ago. It was locally produced, the bees feasted on Saffron, therefore the honey was amazing xox
@hopefaith....no mom didn't try any of that mustard pack thank goodness. Xxxxx
 
Hi @hopefaith,

I have not visited your thread in a few days - sorry about that! All this talk about Tiger Balm and Vicks is very nostalgic. I have never heard of mustard packs though. I cannot stand the smell or taste of mustard so I cannot imagine my mom ever using it on me (or maybe she did and I now dislike it that much)

Lemon and Honey in hot water was the cure for all things throat related. Baking soda paster for all sorts of bites. Bread and milk for any blemishes. All of the homemade recipes that my mom had. I have stitches on my chin from an accident when I was 5 years old. I sometimes get a hard blemish that sits just underneath the skin at the stitches. It gets quite painful. Bread and warm milk bandaged over it over night, and whatever it is in there is drawn out. It sometimes requires a couple of nights but I still swear by it.

I hope things are getting better for you both with your recovery and your home situation.

Thinking about you...xox
 
@71Beetle Lemon honey and a dash of whiskey works miracles for sore throat and bad chest. I think the thing with the bread was known over here as a bread poultice xxxx
 
Back
Top Bottom