Guest viewing is limited

TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

@hopefaith For some reason I was not getting your posts. I was still back when your son got married. None the less I am at about the same place you are in regards to months, and I dont find it easy at all. People tell me oh you will. I have pain on the outside of my knee, which the docs and PT say everyone has from IT band as well as pain on the inside of my knee which doc and PT say are normal, so like you I wonder when it will all end. HAve to go back to work next week and not looking forward to it.
What I do know is the people here give great support and laughter that help to get through this. thanks everyone
 
So,after PT yesterday, I have more pain and more swelling. So according to mantras "don't do it again". They are already telling me I am not pushing myself hard enough. What to do?
Gosh, we're twins today. At the time I could do all they asked yesterday but am paying for it a bit today I think. :(
 
@jbucks - I moaned at my OS at the 4 month 'farewell' xray and appt, about aches in exactly the same places. The inside of the knee and the outside. Now to be fair I do have a hunking big scar round the inside of my knee from previous surgery - but his reply to me was that most of the fiddly work is done on the inside of the knee - and more interference and surgical activity = more discomfort. The outside area that I indicated, he said was where a lot of major muscles etc are - he also said that area probably would also get hotter because of the blood supply in that area.

@hopefaith - work that knee just a little ...... but often! My family find it hilarious that I link exercises with activities. If I am sitting on 'the throne in the smallest room' I bend my knee back as far as I can for a few times. Every time I walk past the bottom of the stairs I do a few lunges. While the kettle boils - I go in the breakfast room and pedal 20 revs on my cycle wheels. While I talk to my Mum at night I sit on husbands desk and do the leg dangle and bend backwards under the table thing, or scoot about on his chair using my knee. Cooking supper I hold on to the worktop and do a bit of squatting. Never heaps of exercises all in one go, just a frequent few!

As for the coloured text in posts - perhaps we could have a colour code, depending on how we or our knees are feeling?

Take care and enjoy the rest of your day

XX
 
@dogwheels I like your ideas. I have incorporated my exercises into my life, and you gave me some new ideas.. I like the idea of color indicating state of the knee at that moment. I had a big scare with my doggie today. He had some very serious hemoragic gastritis......all over the house. He is in the hospital for the night on IV fluids. They think he should make famous recovery, so I am doing what he needs. He is my very best friend, and I truly need him in the months ahead. He trusts and glues himself to me. I cannot bear the thought of him not joining me in the time ahead. I know that day is coming, but he is only 7, so I hope it isn't for awhile. I got a good chuckle at your post @DogLoverx3 when you were claiming to be 12. So funny, and I probably laugh because I turn 12 too in certain moments
Frankly, I have felt about 6 for the past 3 months...seriously, I think I have regressed to a very early age with the stress that has landed upon me. I just hope to get back to my chronological age at some point soon. :heehee:
x x
hopefaith
 
@jbucks It is encouraging to not feel alone, and @kneeper that is what seems to happen every time. I don't like the "do as many as you can..." too ambiguous for me. I like the "try to do 15" approach. This isn't weight lifting where you go until fatigue. I would walk out of there.
Oh well, I can come back here and rant.
 
Hi @hopefaith if it hurts don't do it. I hope you are feeling better now. My best to you. How do dyou get all those colors in the post? Interesting....
 
Hey @hopefaith, my last message before I go to Spain! I can't believe what your OS said! How very rude! I think me and @dogwheels need to come over and sort him out, stupid man! I'm further on than you but still having "issues" My latest knee isn't as good with ROM and I still have lots of pain in both legs in different places, but I'm assured this is normal at this stage. Also my knees were so bad before, I've been told this had mainly been done for pain not increased movement so that has helped my expectations. At my 6 weeks visit, the OS just looked at my bend and was pleased, no measurements. Pleased don't be discouraged (although it's hard not to be when the. OS is so insensitive) there's tons of time for more improvement. I won't repeat what others have said, but there's lots of good advice there. Take care my friend, you are in my thoughts every day. Love & remember you are lovely and loved. Mwah! Xx


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Hey @hopefaith, my last message before I go to Spain! I can't believe what your OS said! How very rude! I think me and @dogwheels need to come over and sort him out, stupid man! I'm further on than you but still having "issues" My latest knee isn't as good with ROM and I still have lots of pain in both legs in different places, but I'm assured this is normal at this stage. Also my knees were so bad before, I've been told this had mainly been done for pain not increased movement so that has helped my expectations. At my 6 weeks visit, the OS just looked at my bend and was pleased, no measurements. Pleased don't be discouraged (although it's hard not to be when the. OS is so insensitive) there's tons of time for more improvement. I won't repeat what others have said, but there's lots of good advice there. Take care my friend, you are in my thoughts every day. Love & remember you are lovely and loved. Mwah! Xx


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Hey @hopefaith, my last message before I go to Spain! I can't believe what your OS said! How very rude! I think me and @dogwheels need to come over and sort him out, stupid man! I'm further on than you but still having "issues" My latest knee isn't as good with ROM and I still have lots of pain in both legs in different places, but I'm assured this is normal at this stage. Also my knees were so bad before, I've been told this had mainly been done for pain not increased movement so that has helped my expectations. At my 6 weeks visit, the OS just looked at my bend and was pleased, no measurements. Pleased don't be discouraged (although it's hard not to be when the. OS is so insensitive) there's tons of time for more improvement. I won't repeat what others have said, but there's lots of good advice there. Take care my friend, you are in my thoughts every day. Love & remember you are lovely and loved. Mwah! Xx


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
Oops sorry for the repeated post!


Bernie UK
RTKR 22nd January 2014
LTKR 2nd April 2014
 
Sorry about your dog's illness.
 
@hopefaith We are in this together, I know we will get through it.

@dogwheels SO what did you do for the pain inside and outside of the knee. REST and ICE. OH PLEASE tell me the miracle exercise..
 
Sorry @jbucks - no miracle exercise I am afraid, I wish there was, I would be so ready to share with you. I really don't ice and elevate much now - just had regular soft tissue massage from PT and continued with the usual exercises at home.

Doing this over the last few weeks the residual swelling has seemed to subside, my knee is beginning to look like a knee again, and gradually (although very much the improvement cha cha ..... uncomfortable, then good, then uncomfortable again)the discomfort in those areas has decreased. The outside is much better, the inside protests a bit if I really push bending - and also if I do a lot of stair descending. My PT thinks old scar tissue in that area may be adding to my problem.

XX
 
Yes @hopefaith , I am often 12. I do stop short of throwing tantrums though. Well, most of the time.... ;-) I hope you're having a good day! xoxoxox

That's awesome that your knee is starting to look like a knee again @dogwheels ! I can only hope that one day mine will too!
 
@DogLoverx3 if I want to see what a knee looks like, I look at my left knee,which sort of looks like one.:snork:

I just spoke to a woman who has several friends who have had TKR's and the ones who did well did a lot of resting, and "did not over due it." Imagine that!!!!!
@cafecortado safe travels. We will miss you! I know what you mean about looking in the window at all the activity. I feel that way too on here at times. Can you imagine if we had a reunion? My oh my!@Phil75070 how are you? No jokes today?

My doggie is getting better! He is snoring away at my feet right now. :flwrysmile:

I need to be on my way to see what you all have been up to. :giggle:
~hopefaith
 
@hopefaith I am happy to hear that you dog is doing better!

OK, some humor for you:

Have you ever wondered what the difference is between grandmothers and
grandfathers? Well, here it is:

There was this loving grandfather who always made a special effort to spend time with his daughter's family on weekends. Every Saturday morning, he would take his 7-year-old granddaughter out for a drive in the car for some quality time--just him and his granddaughter.

One particular Saturday, however, he had a bad cold and really didn't feel
like being up at all. He knew his granddaughter always looked forward to
their drives and would be disappointed. Luckily, his wife came to the rescue and said that she would take their granddaughter for the drive.

When they returned, the little girl anxiously ran upstairs to see her
grandfather, who was still in bed.

"Well, did you enjoy your ride with Grandma?" he asked.

"Oh, yes, Pap Pap, it was really wonderful. We didn't see a single jerk, piece of ****, horse's butt, blind person, dipshit, Muslim goat humper, or son of a complain anywhere we went!"

Almost brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?
 
@jbucks soooo nice to have you back on my thread. I think we have a lot in common.


@chestnc The way to get colors is to go to the top of post and touch the "A" with the red line underneath and viola!!! Just don't tell @dogwheels that I showed you! :heehee:
 
.
@hopefaith
I am writing to let you know I think of you often. I have not been visiting as much as I would like to because of my boss wanting me back at work so soon and because I am having to make time in my day for PT, pain, and sleeping issues, (sound familiar). And because I am back to work 8 to 9 hours a day and doing PT twice a week, thankfully when I get home I can nearly make it out of my car. I have missed eveyone on here, but when sleep. Beckons to you to the point where you don't know whether to eat or sleep, you just have to listen to the sleep voice and act fast..or I end up staying up all night...go figure.

God has blessed me with the best PT! He is actually the director of the physio therapy where we send our patients to. Oh, HopeFaith, I nearly cried (ok, I did). He checked my knee and began gently messaging it. Then he put a WARM towel on my knee (?HEAVENLY JOY, WHAT A GOOG FEELING) and came back, sat down and said, " So, I Can tell you that you have a lot of pain in that knee, not counting the tendinitis. I counted 8-10 knots in your ledf side of your thigh and more on the right, and around your knees. I am going to have to help your pain level come down before we start even thing about your numbers !"

Oh my goodness, FaithHope! That is the kindest thing any one has said to me since my surgery! So he orders me (to Keep) a tens unit which has an additional electrical pulse for muscles to help my thighs. Then he gave me info on the dry needle therapy and ask me just to consider it! I could not be more happy, the only thing he has asked me to do, exercise , is I do ten slides and 8 leg raises! He also taped my knee up with Kinesio tape (oh..how it helps the pain,) so I ordered some from Amazon so I could use it on my other knee which is now giving me a fit! So now I have two painful knees,

My hubby picked me up at 7:3O last Wedesday and I fell asleep in the car. Then he came around to my side and said, come on, we need to hurry up and get what you need at Walmart so we can get you home, oh my gosh! seriously? I has just worked 10 hours. Went to PT for 1 hr 45 mins and I started to get out of car and just balled my eyes I out. I can not do this, I hurt too bad, so he told me to get back in the car and he'd be right back.
LORDY, HERE HE COMES RIDING ONE IF THISE MOTORIZED HANDICAPPED THING A MA GIGS THEY HAVE THERE, AND SAID, NOW, GET ON AND DONT HIT ANYONE.

Well to my credit I only hit some dispays, and a couple of people's feet, but honestly, it was heaven! So he wanted to go look in The $5 DVD bin and i said fine! I will wait right here in this isle for you! I just can't keep going. Next thing I know, he is waking me up! I had fallen asleep with my arms hugging the wheel of that marvelous machine"

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! It's just been so long since I've been able to get on this site.

I took 2 pictures, one of my surgical knee, and one of my right knee. And I am daggone feed up with my unfeeling boss! The little bald headed one. I know in my heart if I could have stayed out longer for work, my right knee never would have looked like this. I just took them a couple of hours ago after using the Tens unit on my left knee, and ice on my right!


[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery



[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
NOW WHAT AM I DO DO.

Murphy's law, everything that can go wrong, will!

Sleep right my friend, I miss you!
 
@Quasi I am so happy to get your post. I am so sorry for how much pain you're in! Sooooo happy you have a very compassionate PT. I wish I could help you get the rest you need. Your body is craving lots of sleep. I am going to bite the bullet and "ride the cart" :yes: I am also scared I will hit someone something. :heehee: I just lost half of,this post. :tantrum2:.
It is the weekend. I hope for you much sweet rest. I almost cried that you fell asleep on the wal mart cart. My dear dear @Quasi you need sleep! Stupid question warning....why do you have to work SO many hours?
I am in so much emotional pain, but this doesn't seem to be the place to get into that much. I may PM you. (So is your non surgical knee hurting? )Mine is.

But there is no way I would go through this again unless I had support. Alone has been so awful. Anyway.....enough.
x x
~hopefaith
​
 
@chestnc
I am waiting to hear what your OS has to say! I am so sorry that you are in so much pain. I am praying for you. Are you still able to work FT?

@dogwheels are you getting my tags? Is this colour dark enough? :snork: Just playing you know?
My Vionic sandals have proved to not be as comfy as my flip flops. I am so disappointed! The footbed looks identical. I can wear them for a short time and then I am calling for my aqua flips.
I may :blush: have to order the fushia flip flops. Did you purchase the white? My cuppa :giggle: Awaits!
More posts in a bit.

x x x

~hopefaith

 
Back
Top Bottom