TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Many, many years ago I spent a few days on business in Bury St Edmunds. I flew into Norwich from Amsterdam around 9:00PM and was met by my agent and his wife. We went to the hotel where I was staying and after checking in I met them in the pub for a drink. While sitting there my agent asked me what I wanted to do on Saturday since it would not be a work day and I wasn't flying out until Sunday. He said this part of England has a lot of old churches and the area also has a historical significance. He then said, "Or perhaps you would like to see the broads." I was stunned!! How could he ask me that with his wife sitting right there. The he realized my dismay by clarifying that "the broads" is a chain of lakes! Boy was I disappointed, though that is what we did on Saturday and I did come home with a "Map to the Broads" as a souvenir.

Also, when telling me what time they would come pick me up the next day they would say, "I'll knock you up at 7:30." I wasn't particularly looking forward to getting "knocked up" and didn't think I could be. Of course, it finally dawned on me what they meant.

During that trip we did a lot of travel by car and in every town we stopped in we made a point of stopping into the local pub. Each pub would have its own brand of ale that they either brewed themselves or got from the local brewery. I was told to order "half a pint"; then if I liked it go back to the barkeep and ask for the "other half" of the pint I should have ordered in the first place.

Another interesting thing about that trip was stopping in at the world's "smallest pub" in Bury St Edmunds. I don't know how many people it could hold, not very many, but the liquor bottles had to be stocked on shelves that reached to the ceiling. I wonder if it is still there.....I just looked it up and it is called the Nutshell and measures 15 feet by 7 feet!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HF, don't make me write one of my long posts. I type slower than a turtle.
You are in too much of a hurry to get well. With all the things you have going on you are doing great.
You help everyone on here but are pretty tough on yourself. Plus you have fibromyalgia. How do you know which pain is which? I have read a number of posts on here where people have come back on & doing great. Most no longer need help & they get back to real life & don't have time or need. Some of us are healing faster than others but still have pain. I don't mind some physical pain as it distracts me from my mental pain & the little green men in my head. :yikes: Many of us have a few. I am very proud when I can beat them. What doesn't kill you will make you stronger. You will be very strong one day. Take your time & let it happen. Go to your happy place when you need it. Someday you could be nuts like me. :rolleyes:
 
@ironman60
I haven't had a fibromyalgia attack since a few days after the actual surgery. I definitely can tell the difference. Don't make me write a long post. :heehee:
Wanting to hear from people who have done the whole year with a difficult but successful recovery is not me wanting to hurry up my own recovery. We all need testimonials to keep on keeping on. I certainly do. So I respectfully disagree with you....no offense meant.
I am tough on myself at times. I will continue to encourage others. It's who I am.
Have a wonderful evening.
~hopefaith
 
Yes Dear. I may have read more into your post than was there.
No offense taken & I love who you am.
 
Hi @kneeper - yes, you understand streaky bacon. Its the cut that is long and thin with a fair amount of fat running through it. What I would call American bacon looks similar, but the slices tend to be thinner. We have 2 types of bacon, streaky and back - which is a lot leaner with an 'eye' of meat, in either smoked or unsmoked. My grocery delivery service has just started stocking Oscar Meyer bacon - I may get a pack for old times sake as we ate a lot of that when we lived in Jakarta!
Ho hum! Here endeth the lesson on Bacon in England.

@Phil75070 - loved your story about the Norfolk Broads (and the new avatar!)

You are right @hopefaith, you get some amazing stuff on your thread. Perhaps it's like the cream that @DogLoverx3 had for her knee that attracted all manner of stuff?

Anyway, hope your OS appointment goes really well and gives you some confidence in the way your recovery is progressing.

At risk of sounding like a cracked record, everyone is different. Your personal recovery time, is what it is, my friend. Plain and simple. This is a b*tch of an operation and nothing can be anticipated or expected. In my own situation I have gone to one of the best OS who knows me and has been treating me for years. I had the best of care with physio and hydro appointments regularly for 5 months. I have not needed to do any work. I am very fortunate and under those circumstances you would think I should make a wonderful textbook recovery BUT - in spite of doing everything in my power, my recovery still had a huge setback. I have been told that I am unlikely to ever exceed 120ROM and it will be much more like a year before I am totally back on form. It is what it is.

You know what @hopefaith? I got to the point about 6 weeks back when I quite frankly stopped listening and reading TKR recovery markers. I couldn't give a **** about what is the norm, I am only interested in my progress. I know that everything is OK inside my knee, my OS is pleased with the outcome and so everything else will happen in its own good time and I will celebrate every little personal triumph as and when it happens.

Take care today. Much love XX

 
Yes, @Phil75070 loved your broad story. :heehee:
@dogwheels Yes, I love my @DogLoverx3 sticky knee thread, good analogy! (:
I realise comparisons are not helpful. I was just looking for some specific stories since this elusive "one year" hangs out there. the isolation gets old and difficult at times, when my world kind of got turned upside down in the middle of this very difficult recovery.

So previously "said" person will be out of here in 11 days. I will be on my own with stairs, but I need to reclaim this space.
Anyone heard of sage for cleansing a space? Or a priest? Or a rain dancer? :rotfl:

Okay have at @Phil75070 and @JustJeff (:
(My computer or the powers that be are not letting me tag everyone, just certain ones.....weird.)
Hope you are all have a good afternoon/evening.

hopefaith
 
Good luck today with your OS appointment HF! I'm sure all will go great!

(I'm also pretty sure that @Phil75070 & @JustJeff but some sort of a voodoo spell on your computer so you can ONLY tag them) ;-)

..... good luck with the sage ..... and possibly some holy water? xoxoxo
 
@hopefaith Just a couple of days ago the Vatican officially recognized a leading association of demonologists. Perhaps you could get hold of one of them to perform a good exorcism?

Good luck today with your OS appointment HF! I'm sure all will go great!

Yes, good luck with your appointment today!!
 
My appt. didn't go so well today. (no surprise there, I knew I had lost numbers in my ROM.) I am feeling pretty awful right now about several things, so I won't be posting for awhile. I really appreciate your well wishes. Feel free to visit.
 
@hopefaith , as Phil said, we're here for you when you're ready. I'm so sorry your appointment didn't go well. When you feel up to it, if you want to post what he told you, I bet there would be at least one of us who has heard the same thing. We're here for you when you're ready sweet pea. ((hugs))

(and not to beat a dead horse, but my ROM numbers were less than impressive at 2 months - and varied wildly from day to day....my knee was still hot, red, swollen and painful!) xoxoxo
 
@hopefaith. I am sorry that things did not go well at your appointment. I do hope you feel better soon. Please do not shut us out when you are feeling blue. We are here for you and will respect your wishes but sometimes knowing this may be the medicine you need to get you back on the path of healing.

A friend of mine was a Weight Watchers Instructor and they have a saying about their meetings. "If you are having a bad week, you need a meeting; f you are having a good week, the meeting needs you." The same could apply to this forum.

You are always here encouraging us and bringing our spirits up and we just want to do the same for you.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you wondered about people who have gone beyond one year or longer and how they are doing. I think your question was valid. The ones that are having revisions, issues, etc continue to keep up with posts, maybe looking for answer or hoping that others can learn from their experience. Perhaps with others that leave, it is because they do not need the forum as much and get busy with all of the other things in their lives that they were unable to partake in previously due to the pain. There are only so many hours in the day so keeping up with the forum becomes difficult. There are the angels that keep up with the forum long after they have healed physically and emotionally and we should all be very thankful for their giving spirits.

Anyway, I have taken up a lot of space on your thread, just want you to know that you have a friend in me and with many of us here. Please take care of yourself and keep looking for the silver lining. xox
 
Hi all,
I didn't mean I was going away for long. I can't. I need you all!
Thank you @Phil75070 @71Beetle @DogLoverx3 for your words of encouragement. I like how you quoted the weight watchers quote. Sometimes, I am crying too hard, and feel so down, I don't know how to put it in words. and sometimes......people mean well, but say things, I already know. I just need to weather the storm.

MDD robs a person of a lot. It is a difficult illness, and has been my companion pretty much all of my life. Right now, having to still be on narcotics, makes it much more difficult.

So, my ROM has decreased and I was treated like I am not doing what I am supposed to be doing. I had a :censored:
meltdown in his office, and that didn't go well. I felt so embarrassed. He wants to see me in 3 weeks because I am doing so "bad". My ex drove me, because it is deep into Denver and a lot of highway driving. He didn't go in to the room with me (thank God). So the whole thing su**ed. (I don't know if that is a bad word on here.)
@71Beetle I see your point, that "those ones" who have the difficult, but successful year are on their merry way, as they should be. But, maybe we can all be, not an "angel", but just someone who does come back and encourage those who really wonder if, the "magical" year does exist after a very long, difficult recovery.

I usually apologize, at this point. Maybe this time I won't. You all mean a lot to me, and it is kinda weird how a person (me) can have all these really supportive friends on a forum like this.
:holysheep: I need to stop for now.
If you have read this far bless you. If you haven't, no worries.
x x x
~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
it is kinda weird how a person (me) can have all these really supportive friends on a forum like this.

Now if it were me that would have been worded different, "it is strange how a weird person like me can have ......"

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery
 
Now if it were me that would have been worded different, "it is strange how a weird person like me can have ......"

[Bonesmart.org] Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Can always count on you Phil to bring a smile to the situation. Thank you. :)

@hopefaith - sometimes it just helps to vent and that is one of the many reasons I love the forum. This is really the only forum I have stuck with. I have joined other ones (mainly for weight loss) but I have never connected to any of them like I have with this one. I have been fortunate enough to connect well with a group of people that all have the same mind set as I do and people that I know I would get along with in the "real" world as well. @JustJeff is right in saying we do have to set up a reunion at some point. Next summer when we are fully recovered would be an idea!

Hope your day is a little bit brighter.
 
Back
Top Bottom