TKR Hopefaith's Ups and Downs of Recovery

Hi hopefaith, you visited my thread so I thought I would pay you a visit. Its quite hard when you come in late to know what's actually going on. I flash read a lot of your messages, but reading that way doesn't work as well as getting it as it happens. So you will have to make allowances if I ask a question which you have already dealt with .

You are so early in your recovery - you haven't reached the 3 month stage yet, so what is causing the tears and being down? I ask not because it is an unusual thing, but because there can be so many different things that make us feel low. Carol
 
oh my @patient 99 I will try to look for the page number to catch you up, or to give you a glimpse. A lot of personal stuff. I will not bore repeating here. How did your 2nd opinion go today? I have been wondering about this.
 
So, back to P.T. today. The same old message, "If you don't push yourself hard, you'll never 'get better' ". I hope I can find a PT with a different philosophy. I will be hitting the directory this evening.
 
Hi @hopefaith I am so sorry you had such a down day. This is such a tough recovery and that is without other things happening. I may have not understood but i didn't know he was still there. That cannot be easy for you. What you are going thru has had to have impacted your recovery.

For many of us we have had good recoveries and are fortunate. I don't know about the one year deal personally but there are threads of people who have improved after one year. I am sorry though as I cannot remember who. I do have to say I had to return to work at eight weeks as my disability pay was awful. I still had some pain but it is what I had to do. I did stop PT at that point and really think that helped me. There is no one answer for everyone and I don't know if my next knee will be the same. I do know that little by little at four months, then five, then six and pains disappeared and I actually forgot about them. There was for me a huge difference from 3 months to 6.

I also think the recovery and what you read here is based on individual expectations. I am happy to walk without pain, play with my grandchildren, and go camping. Nothing extraordinary like running a marathon. So for me having my knee replaced has been great. It lets me do more than I could before.

I have severe arthritis in all three sections of my spine and have to deal with that pain every day. I also have a pinched nerve with neuropathy in both legs. I have spinal injections and will probably be on medication the rest of my life. But I just have to deal with that pain if I ever want to have a life.

Wow sorry I took up so much of your thread and hope I made some sense. I also thought Holy water was a good bet.

You have a very kind heart and your positive posts are so encouraging. Give yourself a little break and mostly be kind to yourself.

Xoxo JoAnne
 
Hi @hopefaith, so sorry you have lost some ROM but don't worry you will obtain it back. You have a lot you are dealing with so that does impede ones healing. Just stay strong. You are so wonderful as you have so much strength and encouraging thoughts and words for other people here. I am at the 8 and 1/2 month mark and my knee was so so sore today. The whole weekend I was not feeling well with knee pain and RA pain. The pain medication does not really help the knee pain. I know how you can feel like you you are doing the cha cha taking two steps forward and three steps backwards. I feel like that on several occasions during the whole TKR process. Some will be good and some will be bad :good-bad:. There were times when I felt better at 3-4 months than I do now. Don't worry about still needing pain medication. I still have to take pain medication in the evening as by the time I get home, I am really really sore, stiff, and in pain. Knee and RA pain. Hope you have better days ahead :fingersx:. Take good care of yourself. :console2:
 
Hi @hopefaith - okay - no alerts again, so I have only just read about your OS appointment. So sorry it was not as positive as you would have wanted. I know that you will shout at my avatar(!) but I have to repeat what others have said, it is still early days.

I know it wont improve your ROM any, and you may not have too much support at home but you DO have a whole army of real friends here who are in your corner, cheering you on.

A reunion a bit further down the line seems a grand idea - perhaps you could have yours there, and the UK contingent could have ours here and we could Facetime or Skype each other? There's a thought.

Hang on in there @hopefaith It would appear that you are in the same exclusive club as some others of us here. The club of those whose knee recoveries take that little bit longer. The club that takes the scenic route rather than the expressway. Remember going slower isn't bad, its just a slightly different path that we are taking - but we will all get there in the end.

XXX
 
We are all thinking of you. (((Hugs)))
 
@Jozilla said it well. "Good" recoveries are not necessarily to be expected. Those who have "good" recoveries, at least in the early stages, say up to 6-8 months, are "fortunate" and not necessarily the rule.

This forum has a lot of people who participate but it is till only a small sampling when you consider that something like 700,000 knee replacements are done each year in the U.S. alone. I would venture to guess that if every one of them posted their recovery stories here a very large percentage would be closer to you recovery schedule, @hopefaith, than say mine or JustJeff.
 
A lot of personal stuff. I will not bore repeating here. How did your 2nd opinion go today? I have been wondering about this.

Hi hopefaith, your reply made me smile. Its exactly what my husband does when I am pinning him to the wall and saying `yes, but how do you FEEL about it'. He says something like `oh look there a bird, squirrel, cat, dog, naked man in the garden'. I'll just keep reading your thread and that way I am bound to catch up. Carol
 
Am I missing something? (it wouldn't be the first time). Hopefaith you are only 12 weeks post op. How can you consider your recovery to be slow? I am 17 months post op and still on the road to recovery. Now that is a wee bit slow:heehee: How we perceive things influences how we recover. Come on Hope stop thinking you are a slow coach. It will make a difference. Carol
 
Hi @hopefaith - totally off subject, but certainly something close to Phil and Jeff's hearts - shoes!

Thank you @hopefaith - the Vionic flip flops have just been delivered. The toe post may need a bit of breaking in for extended wear, but they are sooooooooooo comfy. Good recommendation and you'll be glad that you are now officially off the hook, and no longer being held responsible for my purchase. (Snigger)

XX
 
@dogwheels sooo relieved. Was losing sleep over that :heehee:.
@patient 99 you crack me up! Yes. Guilty as charged with that quick change of subject. There is just too much catch up. @Jozilla thank you for your kind words.@chestnc I think of you often and all you are doing at home and work. Anyone would be exhausted and then to add on RA, I can't even imagine! @Phil75070 thanks for your thoughts and the half eaten chocolate bunny (although I don't understand why I couldn't have had a whole one...very bummed about that. :snork: @DogLoverx3 miss you! Hope you are okay.
All, I think a lot of what has happened is that a lot has happened. In a very short time. :bricks: So, it may come across that it is mainly my recovery that is getting me so down while it is about 9 other things piled onto my recovery.

That's all I have for now! a reunion? Amazing! Something to dream about!!!!

~hopefaith
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Without wishing to appear rude, may I just ask you something @hopefaith?
When you were a little girl - did you always use ALL the colours in the pencil box on the same sheet of paper?
I think I need a trip to the opticians, that green is not very clear at all - and no, I haven't started on the wine this afternoon ............ yet!

I am not having a happy afternoon tidying my study. I have found so much crafting stuff and don't know where to hide ..... sorry, put it all. Not only that but so much wacky stuff that I cannot part with - you really wouldn't believe the sheer scale and craziness of much of it. It defies randomness!

Oh well, once again into the pit of despair ..............

XX
 
Good luck today with your OS appointment HF! I'm sure all will go great!

(I'm also pretty sure that @Phil75070 & @JustJeff but some sort of a voodoo spell on your computer so you can ONLY tag them) ;-)

..... good luck with the sage ..... and possibly some holy water? xoxoxo
I'd just get a dog to sniff out the place.
 
@Jozilla said it well. "Good" recoveries are not necessarily to be expected. Those who have "good" recoveries, at least in the early stages, say up to 6-8 months, are "fortunate" and not necessarily the rule.

This forum has a lot of people who participate but it is till only a small sampling when you consider that something like 700,000 knee replacements are done each year in the U.S. alone. I would venture to guess that if every one of them posted their recovery stories here a very large percentage would be closer to you recovery schedule, @hopefaith, than say mine or JustJeff.
I honestly didn't expect anything. My mother's TKR went horribly wrong when a major nerve was cut and she could never lift her leg again (without her hand doing it for her. ) the very first thing I did waking up was wiggle my toes just to make sure I wasn't paralyzed. With each step I was amazed with any progress.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dogwheels :rotfl:
  1. I just cannot the urge to mix it up. I was certain there would be a few complaints.
  2. Yes, I tried to use all of the colors in my pencil box.
And until this last weekend, I didn't know I could play on here. Hey, I need some outlet for creativity.
( :
 
So,after PT yesterday, I have more pain and more swelling. So according to mantras "don't do it again". They are already telling me I am not pushing myself hard enough. What to do?
 
Back
Top Bottom