Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

When my second surgery revealed a misaligned knee, my main focus at that point was to heal up, get as strong as I could without hurting other body parts including that knee, and to find the best surgeon to fix my problem. And yes, I cried a lot too and had to suppress anger, thinking I had to go through this yet a third time.
But the mission was clear, I just had to follow through and complete the steps. I knew I had to heal again and go through all of that misery, but then I could look forward to getting through this and finally getting to a point where I could be somewhat normal. I'm still not there yet. I feel like I have been in limbo for the past whole year.
I totally agree that it is hard not to compare yourself with others, and quite honestly, I personally don't know of anyone having problems like me except people on Bonesmart, even though I know they exist.
Our recoveries are definitely not the norm, but as always, there is a percentage of people where things are very different. But that doesn't mean we still can't have a good outcome eventually.
That is what I am hanging on to, is the very real possibility, and likelihood, that I will get there, even if it takes five times longer.
That is what I profess over myself, and try to be thankful for each day, and look for any small improvements to encourage myself, and keep plugging along.
 
That is what I profess over myself, and try to be thankful for each day, and look for any small improvements to encourage myself, and keep plugging along.
I was very encouraged when I went in the pool yesterday, for the first time this season. I am 15 months post op and my leg is bending much better and it did really well in the pool. My surgery was in March 2017 and last summer I found it to be very difficult to be in the pool, the whole summer.

So even though I have a lot of discomfort, my bend is so much better. I don’t understand how that can be.
 
I don't totally understand the increased bend either, except that possibly the swelling went down enough to allow more flexion.
I sure hope that happens to me too, since my now 12 month old knee is still at 95 degrees, and has not changed for 10 months.
Are you sure you have loose parts? Have you had an x-ray or other scan that shows this?
 
I would love increased bend! That’s when I have the most pain anytime I bend past 90* which makes doing steps and inclines nearly impossible. [emoji22]. I keep hoping my bend will increase and flexion increase but it has been the same or decreased the past several several months. Another reason for a revision I assume.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
My three-month-old revised knee is at 80 to 85° of bend . My one year-old knee is still at about 95. That has not changed in 10 months. I still think it's from the swelling. And the swelling gets worse with too much activity.

Did you feel your MUA helped you with your range of motion? Before I had my revision on the crooked knee, I might have been close to 90° of bend. But that was not significant to me at all since I knew I had to have it re-done. I don't know how a crooked knee could bend correctly anyway.

I hope I am thinking correctly about all of this, because if time doesn't heal my problems, I will be stuck with two knees that don't bend well, and my function won't be close to normal.
I guess I can't worry about that now though because it may never happen.
Having a negative and pessimistic mindset is not going to help my situation at all. I need to stay focused and trust that God will bring me through to where I need to be.
 
@kayow11. This journey is difficult and frustrating. You are correct, a positive attitude and the belief that you will be healed is important. I know I have gotten discouraged and felt like I have lost months of my life. I have felt isolated and alone. "Why didn't I heal like all the others and be back to normal in 3 months?" Except, most people do not remember their struggles in their recovery once they are recovered and back to their normal activities. This was brought to my attention when I read the doctor's notes from my left TKR in 2010. At 7 months, he notes that I am still having issues with stiffness. I did not remember that. What I remember is going on vacation 4 months after the LTKR and ziplining. I must have had a brace and taking medication to do that. I just don't remember.
 
@kayow11 before my MUA my bend was less than 90*. Definitely my crooked leg does not bend well. It almost feels like the implant is too large and it won’t even properly seat in the joint if that makes sense to you. Very frustrating!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I know in my brain I shouldn’t compare my recovery to others, but it’s very difficult. I did all the right things selecting the best surgeon, the one that fixes all the other surgeons’ mistakes, which makes finding another revision specialist even more challenging.

I also understand about how having a positive attitude can impact your recovery. I’m a 10 year breast cancer survivor and have been fighting that fight. I was just praying that some how I had already paid my penance and my TKR would be a normal recovery. If these upcoming appointments I have don’t work out, I don’t think I can continue this fight. I’ll just have to learn to deal with it. [emoji22]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I'm crossing my fingers your upcoming appointments give you some answers! With answers you can figure out what you can do. It's so very hard to find the strength for these long battles, as you know, but if you can find strength here, from us, I hope it helps. We want you to find a solution for your knee!
 
@4quilts and Hood1980,
I also feel like I have lost a year of my life, and it's still not even near being over. But our options are either to press on and move forward with a decent mindset and doing what we can to become healthy again, OR
assume the worst and get continually discouraged, and prepare for the rest of your life being way less than optimal.
I am a realist though and I know that I may not be able to do some things I've done in the past, but I am still planning for a decent quality of life eventually. I will except nothing less at this point.
I refuse to let someone else's carelessness or mistakes affect the rest of my life, unless there is no other option, after I have looked far and wide.
Anticipate success!!!! :tada:
 
@kayow11 A positive attitude is vital in this recovery. Keep seeking solutions and don't give up. For me, it wasn't an error or mistake in my surgery. For whatever reason, my muscles and nerves are taking longer to recover. I sometimes think God is teaching me patience.
 
I definitely believe in concentrating on the good, and try to be thankful. I naturally hope, believe, and pray for the best for myself and others.
My body also seems super slow in its healing pace. It isn't because I have not tried to push it along. It is the big bully in my life, and NEVER lets me get away with anything! I suffer for 2-3 days after every episode of possibly slightly too much activity. I fight anger often from this:gaah:.
But these negative emotions just make me more miserable, so I can't hang out there very long.
 
I have another appointment with a revision specialist today. This is actually a local surgeon who a couple of ladies from my aquatic re-hab class used and had good results. They tell me he doesn’t have much of a bedside manner but I want an excellent surgeon, not Mr. Personally. I just wonder if I’ll be able to tell if he has a good plan to fix my knee, if he’s not a good communicator? I guess we’ll see later this afternoon.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I hope your appointment goes well. Even though a surgeon has a lacking bedside manner, he may be an excellent communicator of his own skills. Ask him what he would do to fix your knee; he may tell you quite a lot. You have a lot of experience yourself by now, so you will be more able to understand what he tells you — or realize what he’s not telling you.
 
Susie is right, you are experienced, so you will better understand what he does and does not say to you.

I’ll be thinking of you!
 
Well.....today’s surgeon was very informative and took a lot of time with me giving his opinion and answering all my questions. Again the bottom line was it won’t get any better without a revision. That many patients with the 10* valgus can cope and have a “normal” life. He thinks the CR type joint and unbalanced soft tissues are compounding the valgus problem making me even more valgus when I walk.

Some of my concerns is his admitted difficult recovery of a revision requiring me to do exercises 5 times a day with my husband’s assistance. That I’d have to work through the pain in order to get a ROM of 0 to 90*. (So not the BoneSmart method.) He also did not like the fact that I was back working with a physical trainer and I should only be doing upper body workouts. I asked if I should go back to PT and he said no because of how bad my other knee is. [emoji38]

He also talked at length explaining to me about a perceived instability response to protect yourself from pain. I can’t really do his explanation justice, but I know now that is what I feel at times. I don’t feel a lot of pain but I often feel unstable and I believe this explains it.

So I guess I got some good info, but still not the surgeon for me. He does know my current surgeon and he is “excellent at revisions, but he will do it for me if I want him to, but he will be “tough” on me and my husband.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've never heard of an OS take prescribed PT 5 times a week. There's no way your poor knee would ever get over the inflammation that would cause. I agree, he's not for you!
 
Not going to the office PT, but at home exercises 5 times a day for the first two weeks. I think it would kill me unless I can find some pain meds that will work for me!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I misread your statement about the PT. Still 5 times a day is still way too much!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom