Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Such great advice! I hope and pray I can follow it!

My symptoms from the misalignment are I can’t walk without a huge limp greatly reducing my quality of life. I don’t have full extension so my knee doesn’t feel stable. When I extend my leg and take a step with my leg flaring out more than usual, it is very difficult to walk like I am swaying with one leg and a normal step on the other. It puts a lot of stress on my ankle, causing a lot of pain and my hip to a lesser degree.

Trying not to dwell on it, but I was very active this time last year. I’d go to the gym 3-4 times per week, doing weight lifting and cardio workouts. I did 5k’s on weekends along with gardening. I took care of my grandkids -playing soccer, hockey, tennis with them. I took care of my parents - cleaning their house, running their errands, taking them everywhere. Now I can ride an exercise bike and swim.

I thought that I didn’t have full extension because I still have moderate swelling at this point and it would come when the swelling went away. [emoji57] I started working with my trainer that I worked with when I first injured my leg last July, he thinks because it is so far valgus (he measures it at 20*) that it is not physically able to get to 0* front to back. (Hopefully, I am explaining this accurately so @kayow11, @SusieShoes, and @Jockette can understand.). Yes I am still in the so frustrated/angry stage, but I know what I have to do. I’m working with my trainer to try to get my “good” knee/leg stronger. It has started hurting the past month or so and it needs to be stronger to get me through this revision.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
From just reading your post, it is readily apparent to me that you don't have a choice either.
You are six months past your surgery, so according to my surgeon, you could get it fixed anytime now. I know you are still looking for the right surgeon and that is wise.
Yes, you were very busy with many things, I was too. But others have had to step up and do those service related things because I was, and still am, not yet able. I have also accepted the possible fact that I might not be able to completely get back to everything I did before.
People can get very dependent on your consistent help, and activity level, but you have to take care of your self and attempt to get this fixed.
Possibly now you can try to make some plans for replacements, to do some of the things you have been doing. This will also help you let go of your obligations .
The misalignment is affecting other parts of your body just like me, so you cannot let that continue because that will keep progressing and then everything is worse. I am still suffering some with my foot and back pain from my misalignment, but it is sloooowly improving. Walking on a crooked leg like that is going to have ramifications.
When I viewed the photo of your legs on the post, I compared it to my photo, and it looks like yours may be just slightly less. I sure don't think it's 20° but maybe 8 to 10 like originally thought. It is definitely bad enough, and needs to get fixed though.
Try to put your mind at ease about your likely upcoming surgery. I tried to do that, and just kept as occupied as I could with distractions. And before I knew it, it was all done and over with.
I will continue to pray for guidance and wisdom for you and your search for the right surgeon. But in the meantime, we can communicate through this forum to get info, and help others.
 
Well my Bone Smart experts you were right. I’m back off to my original OS to get my digital X-rays. One of the second option surgeon’s office called yesterday requesting them. The current office charges$5 for them so either have to mail or pick up in person and since my next visit is on Friday I’m off to pick it up in person....no problem picking it up in person I was told. Please, please no run around....me and the bad knee can’t run around!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I thought you got them the day you were there.
 
Yes, other things are being affected by the misalignment. Was wondering if better not to push doing too much or try to do more? Current surgeon said I could do what I want, but common sense tells me not to push it, because I don’t want to injure something else like my ankle, hip or back. I also think I’m getting a new knee anyway do what I can. ‍♀️


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jockette I got printouts/paper copies, not a CD with the digital data, unfortunately. [emoji38]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
If it was me I wouldn’t push it. I’m wondering the same thing about my knee, with the possibility of a loose implant. I don’t want to do anything that will aggravate my knee further.
 
@Jockette I got printouts/paper copies, not a CD with the digital data, unfortunately. [emoji38]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think that’s why I had to go back for mine. But I’m only about 15 minutes away, depending on traffic.
 
@Hood1980, @Jockette, my advice is not to push it either, but stay active with normal function.
I felt that extra exercise on a crooked knee would likely cause more problems with other things that were already hurting, and possibly do some damage to the crooked one. I wanted to go into the third surgery extra strong, but I still felt fairly good after because the strain was eliminated.
 
Thanks @kayow11. Was wondering what you did to get ready for your revision? Just ADLs or a more specific plan?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I just focused on normal ADL's and some limited walking. My low back, knee and foot would protest if I did extra.
You have been fairly active and doing normal daily things, so you're not weak or real deconditioned.
I would not be at all concerned. Your rehab will go fine, even if you have a few bumps in the road.
Of course the pain, etc. will be there just like any post surgery, but you will survive as you did before.
I feel bad that you can't take narcotics for relief. Oxycodone really helped me. But in the grand scheme of life, a few weeks of this extra knee pain and recovery, will pass.
The biggest task right now is just finding a surgeon that you feel you can trust and that has the experience revising misalignments. I asked my surgeon how he planned to line up my leg correctly, and he said that he was going to temporarily put a long rod up my femur bone to line up with the knee joint and lower leg. He also said he would do an x-ray during surgery just to make sure it looked lined up on the x-ray.
Then you just need to set a date and go forth with the plans. Nothing will change until the misalignment is corrected. I know it's disgusting, and I had to get past my anger and dismay also. Thankfully I had a good result, and it is likely you will too.
 
@kayow11 it’s like you can see into me and know what I need to hear! Thank you so much! I’m preparing for my first second opinion tomorrow morning and really needed to hear more of your journey since our journeys have a lot of similarities. You give me strength and optimism that this process will work out, even if it’s not on the timeline I’d prefer. He has his own plan and I pray for His continued support and healing! [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well said, @Hood1980. Since our situations are so similar, I have pretty good insight into how you feel and what you still need to do.
I know in my case, many people on Bonesmart helped give me good ideas, clear thought and rationale, but truthfully no one that shared with me that I remember, had a misalignment needing to be revised.
There were others that had to have a second surgery due to loose parts or infection etc., but the misalignment is a whole different situation.
Facing another surgery though definitely has its similarities in all of these circumstances.
I am very detailed and try to be thought provoked in any situation. I like to be thorough also because that is what I want for me.
I will pray that your doctors visit tomorrow gives you more clarity on the physician and your choices.
It may take another visit or two, and possibly another surgeon or two, before you come to a conclusion. It is important to get done fairly soon, but you can't rush the choice of your surgeon.
If we are true believers, our life and everything involved in that, are in His hands. It doesn't always make sense to us, but the whole goal is to just trust and realize we can't figure everything out and have answers for all.
I am so glad I have been helpful for you. I really do love and appreciate my Bone friends :-)
 
I’m off soon to my first appointment with a Revision OS. Thanks for all the great advice and please keep me in your prayers this morning. [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374]


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@Jamie was wondering if you had any additional information on the two revision surgeons you recommended to me Dr. Jackson Browne and Dr. Stuart Melvin III? Have people on BoneSmart used them successfully or are on they on list of revision specialists, etc? I had a visit today for an Revision OS recommended by my primary care that did not go well, but at least he was honest and said he couldn’t fix it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thank God he was honest with you and didn't try and con you into doing some surgery he couldn't do correctly.
 
That’s how I felt @sistersinhim! I didn’t tell him that my original surgeon said the tibia was off by 5*. I wanted him to look at it and give me his opinion what was wrong and he had nothing for me. Just keep going to PT and include walking in the pool to help build up muscle strength and it could continue to improve for up to a year.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I’m so sorry you had a disappointing appointment. But like sistersinhim said, at least he didn’t try to do something he couldn’t do, or didn’t want to. Your decision is made about him, he’s not the one. :console2:
 
No, I'm sorry that I don't have any other information. I search out these surgeons using the web information and work to find those who seem to do revisions frequently. That's how I arrived at the names.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom