Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

Thanks for the response @Jamie. I was afraid that was the case. Could you give me some guidance or assistance, since I’ve had two OS’s say I have a difficult knee to fix. I found 5 additional OS’s that qualify as revision specialists plus the two you gave me. I went to one yesterday, who said it would be difficult to fix and didn’t even notice the tibial plate was at an angle. Is there a way we can gather additional information with respect to number and types of revisions they do, short of making appointments with each one?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Right now we don't have a way to find that information for you on surgeons. But....we're working on it!!! We have a surgeon locator in the works that will have that type of information and more. For now I'm sorry to say you are just going to need to meet with how ever many surgeons you can until you find the one that is a right fit for you.

When they tell you that your knee will be "difficult," be sure to ask them to explain why and what would need to be done in a way that you understand it. Then come back and let us know what is said. You deserve some details and a good revision surgeon should be able to supply them. Granted, they may not know everything until they are inside your knee, but the surgeon should have a pretty good idea of the problem and what he would plan to do to fix things. And...so what if it's "difficult"??? A good revision surgeon loves those "difficult" cases! You just haven't visited the right person yet. Don't give up!
 
My last OS said he loves challenges and his staff said the same thing about him too.
I agree with Jamie, in that your search needs to continue until you find an OS that studies your X-ray and feels they see what is wrong at least in part, has a plan for fixing it, expresses to you all that is involved that they are aware of, feels fairly confident in their skills, and can explain to you in laymans terms, all questions you have.
Of course they can't guarantee anything, and don't know exactly what they are dealing with until they get in there.

Try not to panic or feel discouraged about your consults so far. In this country we have excellent medical professionals that are amazing in their profession, and can fix problems that are much more critical than a knee joint. Keep checking them out, and don't settle for anything less.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Jamie. I’m taking really good notes with my husband’s help during the actual office visits, so I will have a lot of info for the new data base.. [emoji6] this second OS I went to was not specific as to why my knee would be difficult to fix and I deduced it was because he did not see anything wrong with my knee during his quick look at my X-ray. I got the “Feel free to stay in touch and it may get better up to a year” treatment. Frustrating, but happy he was honest. I was able to get a quick read on him. It just takes so much time and patience setting up these appointments, my DH taking off work, driving 1-2 hours each way.... I’m sorry, I shouldn’t include you in on my pity party.

My original surgeon states by tibial cut is off 5 * contributing to my misalignment, but did not suggest additional tests or X-rays. Not that I would use him again, but I’m wanting more certainty that my knee will get fixed this time. I want details!!!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I can always count on you @kayow11 to adjust my attitude and lift my spirits! I’ve had a really busy weekend celebrating Father’s Day and the new knee is a screamin’ demon, plus my DH gave me his cold and my head is so congested! Owie!

Hoping I can concentrate enough tomorrow to call a couple more OS’s to arrange appointments. Thinking I will set up one with each one and keep going until I find someone suitable.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I know the hunt for the right surgeon is exhausting, but there is no other way.
Please feel free to make sure the surgeon explains to you, anything he may say that you don't understand. Don't be shy or feel dumb about it, you aren't expected to know these things. Don't assume you know what they mean either, if it's not clear. You should not have to read between the lines. And if you get an attitude, well then you have another read on that one.
I myself will never put up with arrogance from someone I am going to for help, or I am "out the door".
I told my last surgeon that I can't go through this anymore, and I just want to have some assurance that he feels he can fix it, has a plan, has fixed similar problems like this before, and feels fairly confident in his ability. I asked him to be forthright with me, no matter what, so I could make my decision.
They can't guarantee it, but can give you a pretty good idea at this point.
I like having all the info involved in a situation. Then I can make a more educated decision.
 
Excellent points, @kayow11 ... you're right on target.

It just takes so much time and patience setting up these appointments, my DH taking off work, driving 1-2 hours each way.... I’m sorry, I shouldn’t include you in on my pity party.
Please don't every worry about expressing your frustration with trying to find just the right surgeon. It can be a challenge sometimes and we're always here to understand and try and help you through the process.

My original surgeon states by tibial cut is off 5 * contributing to my misalignment, but did not suggest additional tests or X-rays.
This fact would be a significant one pertaining to your problem, but I cannot imagine that a skilled revision surgeon would be chased away by it. All the more reason you need to keep looking. The right surgeon is out there and you'll know when you find him. I'm glad you've got your husband's assistance too. It's always good to have two sets of ears hearing what is said and two brains churning out those questions. Good for you!!
 
Well my list of 7 potential revision surgeons is down to two, between not taking my insurance and having to wait a full year until they will even see me! Who knew??? God please bless me with the patience to get through this!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
:console2:
Many have a standard wait until a year because many issues resolve by that time on their own.

Your issue will not. You will find someone. :console2:
 
I’ve been working on scheduling appointments this afternoon getting frustrated and finally got a call back from a surgeon’s office. They stated he doesn’t see other surgeon’s patients, but recommended another surgeon in their practice. Wouldn’t you think the practice would all follow the same guidelines? Well anyway the surgeon they recommended looks great on a google search....does complicated joint revisions! This one may work out!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I found the same thing. I called SusieShoes’s Dr and office said the same thing, which to me means he no longer does revisions. They gave me an appointment with someone else in the office who does.

However, I cancelled that appointment for now, until I have a conclusion with the dr I saw last Friday. I probably shouldn’t have scheduled them so close together.
 
I don’t know about you @Jockette, but this process is so frustrating. I see why people stay with their original surgeons!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It is frustrating. I was very thankful I came up with 2 in the Philadelphia area like I wanted.

It’s far enough when you add in the ridiculous amount of traffic that can be on the route. 3 hours home the other day! I could just imagine that if I was on the way home from the hospital right after surgery, creeping in that traffic. With no traffic it should have been 1 hour and 40 minutes.
 
I really don’t have any news. Just waiting for my upcoming second opinions with “revision specialists “ that hopefully will see what’s wrong with my leg and be able to fix it! Everything is about the same. No improvements. Still limping on a crooked leg with slight swelling. Low pain levels because I am not physically able to do much. I have an appointment with my old physical trainer this evening to see what I can do to try to stay in shape. Still wish I had never has knee replacement.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I don’t have the same knee problem as you, but I agree, I’m sorry I had my replacement. :console2:
 
I know how you both feel, @Jockette, and Hood1980.
I am now one year postop my first surgery, and three months postop my last surgery. Still convalescing plenty. One year old knee still gives me plenty of troubles, swelling, not bending well, hurts to stand and walk very much. Three month old knee maybe 80 to 85° bend. I must admit though that I can feel very tiny improvements every month. Any progress is positive and good, and helps keep me going.
Of course I am still needing my compression stockings daily just because my legs feel terrible without them, and I always have to use extra compression on both knees, either a compression sleeve, or an ace wrap.
I feel like I am part of the movie, Groundhogs Day, where things keep repeating themselves and you're dealing with the same stuff over and over again. Sometimes my physical condition drives me a little crazy, just like the movie drove me crazy. :banghead::gaah: :kickedout:
Have an appointment with my recent surgeon this coming week. I'm sure he won't like my lack of bend and will likely suggest MUA, which of course I will not have. He may question me about how much I am exercising, but I am doing what I can without being constantly flared up. I know I have to gain strength in my quads and legs in general. Even if I walk every day, it's too much for My legs.
Many of you here said you just did functional things, and I know that gradually things will get stronger, but I can tell I still need some extra strengthening in my legs especially my quads. They just feel weak and vulnerable, both of them. Some days they feel stronger though which is odd to me.
I am still holding out for several more months and up to one year, in hopes that my legs will start feeling better, and my knees will be healed enough so I can't say that I am at least where I was BEFORE any surgery.
But just as in both of your cases, what choices did we have?
What are the choices now? Both of you need to move forward as you are already doing, and do what has to be done. I know it's miserable, believe me. We just need to continue praying for a positive outcome for all of us.

I think on this post, I talked too much about my own circumstance, and it probably should have been put on my thread, or at least some of it. If any of you forum advisors agree with this, please just move it to my thread.
I just read the last post on this thread, and too hastily decided to respond which mostly involved MY issues.
 
@kayow11 Your experience encourages us. If you know how to copy and paste, you could have this recent post in both this thread and yours.

Thanks for continuing to think of us.
 
I am glad I can be helpful to any of you, but several of you have been very encouraging to me in this past year. Like my chiro said this past week when I told him I need to lose 10 pounds that have accumulated over this past year, he said to remember that I have been to hell and back, and to not be too hard on myself, and that things will get better and weight will come off when I can exercise more. It made me feel better but I know that nobody controls my food intake but me.
Oddly enough, I do need to be reminded from others what has gone on this past year, and it really has been horrendous!
I just want to share, as many of you have, because it really does help us in many ways.
Frequently I check this site to see how you are doing along with several others that are having problems. I sure can relate!
 
@kayow11 Thank you very much for your detailed response. You motivate me to keep fighting the fight. I’m happy to read it here on my thread, because honestly it’s just Jockette and me here the majority of the time. It depresses me to be on Bonesmart and to read about where I should be recovered and back to most of my daily activities at 6 months out, so I don’t come on very often. [emoji57]

I have 3 appointments scheduled for this month and hopefully one of these surgeons will know how to fix my knee. I’m trying to keep as busy as I can so I don’t become too anxious over the situation but it’s hard for me. I keep [emoji1374][emoji1374][emoji1374] for the strength to get through this process.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
It depresses me to be on Bonesmart and to read about where I should be recovered and back to most of my daily activities at 6 months out
You know I understand about not being recovered when we thought we would be. :console2:

But none of the advisors have ever said anyone should be recovered by 6 months. I usually caution people away from the word “should” because there is no should. Each recovery is unique.

They tell us recovery can take a year, and sometimes more, because each recovery is different, depending on how our bodies heal, and that’s without complications. Add in complications and it’s yet another thing.

It’s a huge disappointment when we don’t reach our expected recovery timeframe. I was expecting 2-3 months! I’m 15 months now.

And yes, it can be hard to read about others who move faster in their recovery than we do.

I pray that you will find a surgeon you like, and trust, to correct your knee, and that the next recovery will go more smoothly than this one has, because it will be lined up right. :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom