Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Hood1980’s Revision

5 times a day for me, would be impossible! I was crying when I had to go to PT 3 days in a row. I don’t even see how that is physically possible! I am still looking for a revision surgeon....


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I don’t want a doctor who will be “tough on me” and there’s no way I will do that much exercise, and, as far as being told my husband should help, as in push my leg back under the dining room chair until I can’t take it, been there done that. Never again. My PT told us to do that when I was less than 2 weeks post op. We did it thinking we had to, they wanted me at 95 at my 2 week check up. By some miracle, I was. And look at me now.

I would not hire him to do my knee either. :console2:
 
I have another appointment scheduled next week. It’s the one I have high hopes for. It’s with the head of Orthopedics at Georgetown. I’m just hoping he isn’t a PT and home exercise demanding surgeon. That seems to be the standard of care following TKR and even more so with revision TKR at least with every surgeon I’ve seen or talked to.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I agree it’s very common. I won’t do it and I’m looking for a surgeon who will at least agree to disagree with me in a tolerant and respectful manner.
 
I’m just hoping he isn’t a PT and home exercise demanding surgeon
Even if he is, it's your knee and you have the right to say "No!" to it. My OS gave me a prescription for PT. I took it but never used it. He never said a thing about it. All he was interested in was my function. Isn't that what we have this tkr for anyway?!
 
Even though we can say no there can be a lot of stress added to our recovery with a surgeon like that.
 
I am hoping to find a surgeon that I can work with and share the common goal of a better, more active life. I believe that half the battle to that goal is post surgical physical therapy and the activities of daily living approaches to recovery. I wish there was a black and white solution, but no....this whole procedure is frustrating and archaic and very difficult. I wish I had stayed in my leg brace and never started down this path!



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Bless your heart. It will get better. Just think of the stories you'll have to tell when it's all over with and you're back doing the things you want to do! Unfortunately, no one recovery can be measured in black and white. It is a huge gray area for everyone!
 
Oh my goodness! I wonder what he really means, and what type of exercises daily? Probably just the normal ones PT would give, or the ones they send you home with from the hospital.
I had 10° valgus. I had to get it fixed because it was causing too many other problems and pain with most every activity. I have no natural ligaments left in my knee but I think my patella situation is OK. I think my knee feels stable too.
Three months now and very small slight improvements every few weeks.
You can always keep this surgeon as a last resort option in your back pocket if you don't find anyone else. It still sounds like he understands and knows what to do, but I think your greatest hesitation is the rehab afterwards. Remember you are the master of this. You only have to do what you feel is best for you, not necessarily follow his instructions. You just need him to do a good surgery.
My three-month-old knee is maybe 85° flexion. So hoping to get another 10° out of that anyway at some point I hope. Maybe more? My one year-old knee is only at 95 and has been there for almost a year. Doesn't seem to want to change.
I had virtually no PT or rehab after this last surgery. Much less pain, and coming along OK. Healing and increased bend is super slow for me, both of them.
90° of bend is not ideal, but doable and functional. You just find ways to accommodate that. I still swell easily with many things.
But I am so happy my knee is straight and I have less pain everywhere else, but it isn't all gone. Still have some foot and back pain as before, maybe 50% less. Still working on that.
I am curious as to why you are working with a physical trainer? I guess I agree with the surgeon regarding not stressing your crooked knee, or your other one if it's not healthy either. Working your upper body sounds good to me, along with some cardio such as a UBE that you use your arms for, not legs.
I understand wanting to exercise to get stronger and just feel better, but the right kind is the key.
Do you have another revision surgeon visit lined up?
 
My TKR knee is stronger than my original knee that was always my “bad” knee before I blew out my good knee last year. The doctor was more concerned that I might injure my non TKR knee. The TKR knee is very tight but it has more strength and is more swollen swollen than my other knee. It’s an inch and a quarter larger in circumference than the right, which is always slightly swollen.

I have heard several OSs and therapists say that patients can live a valgus knee similar to mine. 10*. The surgeon this week explained it better to me. My knee is even more valgus when I walk, indicative of a soft tissue imbalance which can only be improved with another TKR surgery. [emoji22]

I’m working with a personal trainer to try to maintain or improve on what strength I have. I am unable to walk much of any distance without a lot of pain. Since graduating from PT and aqua therapy, I wanted to do some strength training so my quads, glutes and upper body maintain some level of fitness in preparation for TKR revision surgery this fall. I’m not the type of person that will do exercises on my own. Mentally, I’m very depressed and on the verge of giving up. Going to my gym, a small, privately owned gym, where they know and truly care about their members, gets me out of the house and forces me to take care of myself albeit for a short time.

I have an appointment this week with another revision specialist that I am hoping will be positive and someone with a post surgery approach that I can work with.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I have an appointment this week with another revision specialist that I am hoping will be positive and someone with a post surgery approach that I can work with.
I hope so, too. We are here, rooting for a successful outcome!
 
Living with a 10 degree Valgus knee, I think is pure baloney! I think they just say that to make you feel better about your deformity, and to try to cover their rear ends from their unintentional mistake.
I sure had big problems with this, namely foot pain with all standing and walking, and back pain, which has not completely resolved yet. Plus my knee hurt with weigh bearing at such an off angle.

I guess the strength training of uninvolved body parts, doesn't sound like a bad idea. I feel my hips, glutes and quads are weak too. I went to my gym two days ago and just used the hip abduction machine, then left. I didn't seem to have any problems from that so will start to do that regularly, and maybe add one machine a week, then assess. It also can be mentally healthy to do some workout stuff for many of us to.

I still have residual swelling in both knees to. And it doesn't take much for either of them to get worse from a little too much of anything. I am counting on this improving as time goes on. Even ice on that one year old knee can make that swollen spot feel much more painful so that is discouraging and frustrating. So I know how you feel about this.
Giving up is not an option. We have to press on and do what's best for us. Hopefully this next surgeon appointment is going to be very promising, but if not, don't despair.
As I said to Jockette, time can change some things, or at least give us a clearer mind and different perspective about which way to go next. You can't live like you are now. There has to be a solution and someone who can fix it. Our life can be on hold for a while, but we need to focus on our future and anticipate healing and success. If we don't think this way, we are headed for worse mental despair.

We all look forward to hearing from you after your next appointment. Pray, trust, and have hope in your situation. :angel:
 
Tomorrow is the big day for me! I’m going for the second opinion I’ve been waiting for. It’s taken me 2 1/2 months to get in to see him and I hope it it is worth it! I really don’t have another plan and am getting close to giving up! I will take all the prayers and positive thoughts from any of you that are still out there following along with me on this rough road to good working knees. (I’ll take the pain, if they’d only work!).


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You know you have my prayers. I know how you feel and all the emotions that go into searching for a surgeon and making the appointment and then going to that appointment with hope for a solution balanced with the frustration of having to have another surgery. :console2:
 
I pray you will have success with your appointment tomorrow! Please let us know what happens.
 
Sending prayers and positive energy your way, believing that you will soon have good working painless knees (I believe in shooting for the moon, always!). :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you ladies. I’m trying real hard to keep my emotions in check. It’s been quite the roller coaster! I’m expecting a great consultation and a plan forward tomorrow. I hope I am able to sleep tonight. [emoji99][emoji99] The past couple of nights have been rough trying to sleep due to pain and tonight I may be too anxious about tomorrow’s appointment.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Looking forward to your update. We certainly are on parralell paths. Good luck.
 
Yesterday’s appointment went ok. My DH said it did, but I was having an anxiety attack and not truly able to discern if the OS truly wanted to do my surgery. This whole process is so overwhelming even more so than when my breast cancer journey!

The OS seemed aloof to me but my DH said he was confident. I had to ask him what would be his plan to fix my knee. [emoji849]. It was a good plan and he explained fully how a revision is harder. the ends of bones are porous for the the primary TKR and help secure the prosthetic knee joint but becomes rubbery, requiring a different type of joint with rods and sleeves to secure it in place. The first 3-6 months after revision determines how well it sets into place and if done well it will last just as long as a primary knee replacement.

My knee will not get better on its own and requires surgery removing the current prosthetics along with my ACL and PCL. He stated I would see a big improvement in my gait with a straightened leg. He will remove the scar tissue, hopefully improving my ROM. His goal is 0* on extension, but flexion he implied was more up to me and how my body heals. Also my knee cap is currently tracking laterally so he would fix that and properly balance the soft tissues.

They took X-rays and blood work and the surgery coordinator will call next week to discuss the surgery date. Not sure how I feel yet???


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom