THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weezi, hi there, thanks for thinking of me. Monday at work was ok but exhausting. I was off Tuesday, which was good, but I was a mess all day-- snapping at the PT (I hate sitting there with the stupid electrostim on my leg; 5 minutes on the bike and my knees hurt; they make me do stretches that I do at home....waaaa waaaa waaa I was not my usual accommodating self.), and then crying off and on the rest of the day-- my husband felt so bad for me that he brought me flowers. (And I can't even blame hormones-- I finished menopause about a year ago!). I worked yesterday and it was better-- I was able to lie down for about 15 minutes in the middle of the day which helped a lot, and we finished a little early, which also helped. I also cancelled today's PT appt. I'll do the home exercises, and there's a gym in my complex that opens at 7 so if I feel up to it, I can go there and ride the bike and walk on the treadmill. If not, it will wait till I feel up to it. Sometimes I feel like work is all I can manage to do right now. Well, now I'm on a feeling sorry for myself rant-- sorry about that-- I know I'm lucky that I'm this mobile and able to get around as well as I do.

As for your weight bearing, that's interesting about the implant-- I wonder if he chose a special implant because you're so young. When I saw my surgeon after 2 weeks, I made the mistake of not having written down my questions and there were a few I forgot, so I'd recommend that you and your husband make a list of questions and bring them with you to the next visit. Also, my surgeon's PA is really approachable, and I have her email address. Does your surgeon have someone you can contact with questions? That might help you, too. Have a great day. XO
 
Barbara, you are just a month post-op! "Sometimes I feel like work is all I can manage to do right now." Well, duh. That hip is not going to atrophy if all you do is work and let the PT go for a little while until your energy level recoups. You sound like you are exhausted, and IMHO you do not need to make your day even longer by hitting the gym at 0700.

I am totally sympathetic with your desire to be over this and back to normal. At 4 weeks, I thought I should be totally recovered. I wasn't. You aren't. You still need more rest than before, and you need some pampering, too.

What a nice husband you have! Along with those flowers, maybe breakfast in bed instead of the gym...just sayin'....
 
sissy46, I totally love you. Of course you are right-- and it's 7:15 and I'm still on the couch! I'm really glad that I had the anterior approach, and yes, I am so ready to be back to normal even though I intellectually know that it will be May before I start feeling pretty normal, and a year before I'm totally ok. So I will take your good advice, do my home PT slowly this morning, rest some, and then be ready for my long day at work. I have time in the middle of the day for a nap, and an ice wrap I'm keeping at work (and a blanket) so I can rest and ice in the middle of the day. Thanks for knocking sense into me. My husband is great-- and he's at the gym every single morning, which makes me feel really guilty for barely wanting to move.
 
On the couch is a great place to be! NO, it won't be May before you start feeling normal and it won't be a year before you're totally ok---it won't be that long! Really, just quit pushing yourself so hard and before you know it that shiny new hip will settle in like it's always been there. Quit aggravating it. It doesn't like it. It likes walking, and ice, and rest.

In answer to all my pre-op questions ("how long before I can walk a mile, how long before I can go kayaking, how long before I can carry my 40 lb boat without hurting myself, how long before I can ride my bike?") my OS replied, "Four to six weeks." What I heard was "You will be totally back to normal in 4 weeks." He never said that.

Yep, I paddled my kayak for about 3 easy hours on the 28th day, and as I recall I didn't do much else that day.
Also had a slump of thinking "is this as good as it gets?"---which would still have been better than the condition I was in before surgery, but I wanted to be pain free. It does keep getting better, although sometimes seems like two steps forward and one step back. Finally, the only discomfort I was having was the "start up" pain and stiffness the first few steps of walking, especially after sitting or driving for a long time. Somewhere around 4-5 months post-op that disappeared, too, without fanfare.

Now I'll be 6 months on the 25th, and I'm over it. My beautiful new body part doesn't give me a twinge---not when I hop out of bed, not when I run a few steps to catch up with a group or dodge traffic, not when I get in and out of my kayak or on and off my bike. Not even when I walk 5 miles.

That will happen for you, too. I don't think you can exercise it into happening, or speed it up with PT. It takes some time for all the healing to take place, and the best thing is to just let it happen.

I always enjoy your posts, and admire you so much for your accomplishments and your eagerness to get back to work. I'm sure your patients are glad to have you back, but it is still awfully early days in your recovery. Be easy on yourself.:SUNsmile:
 
Aww how lovely of your husband to bring you flowers to cheer you up...what a lovely man you have there Barbara. When the PT told me to do the exercises which I already done at home I said I wasn't going to do those ones as I do them every day at home anyway..lol..she probably thought I was a right pain but I didn't see the point. I just wanted to do stuff that I couldn't do at home because I didn't have the equipment.

Deep breaths and give yourself a break, you are very early days yet and there is still much healing going on deep inside so you need to still take it easy.

Take care

Ann
 
sissy46, yes, when I asked when I can return to work, and he said 4 weeks, I heard,"you will feel fine in 4 weeks," which of course is NOT what he said, and when I went back at 2 weeks postop, he reminded me that as I increased my activity level, I'd probably have more pain and not to be surprised. And he doesn't want me going back to yoga classes till May, but I can do some stretches at home and that does make me feel good-- it is amazing to have regained the mobility in my hip.

Thanks for your sweet words. My patients are happy to have me back-- as are my co-workers. I will try to take it a little easier.
 
wow, I'm late to this thread but it was filled with great advice! i'm three weeks yesterday post opp and i'm feeling pretty great. driving, outpatient PT & fully back to work. although I work from home so I never really was off ;) ladies great advice all around and Barbara i'm glad to know they told you yoga in May. I was an avid yogi and my PT said it might not be advised for a full year! Last piece of info that I loved was the "Intimacy" chat. I'm feeling ready .... so i'll head all the advice and of course look up the Men's Health info. I need to become more active on this board b/c truly everyone around me is being supportive but no one gets it. thank you!! Jen
 
BarbaraR finally located you here on the other side... I'm going to watch this thread closely, you can bet! I am glad that you're "surviving" work, and I have no idea how you feel, of course, but it seems that everyone's advice to me this summer is going to be "slow down", so, maybe I ought to give you that advice too? :wink: Be happy, don't push it. Did I say that? LOL chris
 
<snip> Quit aggravating it. It doesn't like it. It likes walking, and ice, and rest.
snipsnipsnip

That will happen for you, too. I don't think you can exercise it into happening, or speed it up with PT. It takes some time for all the healing to take place, and the best thing is to just let it happen.snipsnipsnip

Be easy on yourself.:SUNsmile:
sissy46 this was one of the most inspirational and realistic and helpful things I've read, put so succinctly! I don't have a "real job" to go back to-- I'm an independent music contractor these days, so I can pick and choose, so I won't have those issues. But your calm, cheerful patience just makes me confident! Thank you!!!! I hope you will still be around this summer to make me be patient too :)
 
I was catching up on your progress and that you've gone back to work. I am cleared to go back April 1st. I am going to start back 1/2 days for a week and then the second week I will work 3 full days....and then it's out again for my second hip replacement. The way you are weaning yourself back to work is a good way to go. You are able to take a nap in the middle of your day. I won't be able to do that. I will be able to get up walk around as much as I want or need to and I can sit as much also. On your post you said you thought you would feel normal by now....I am getting to that point now too to feel normal again. I want to lose the cane but my leg isn't quite strong enough yet. Take care and take it slowly now that you're back to work.
 
Barbara, I am glad to hear you canceled your PT appointment today. I was afraid with that and work you might wear yourself out. Although I feel much better in general I think we are going to be a little punchy from time to time. I know I couldn't work a full day and go to PT 3x a week. I agree with the other ladies about your hubby bringing you flowers, that was so thoughtful. The same goes for Sissy's post, that was real sweet too.
 
sandybeach and Weezi, thanks so much for checking in. In retrospect, I should have scheduled half days the first week. I got home at 8 last night and just crashed. (I did sleep for almost 8 hours, so that was a good thing.). sandybeach, you're fortunate to have such an understanding workplace that you can come back for two weeks and then go out again! I am in awe of your ability to just turn around and do the other hip right away, I don't know if I'd have the courage for that. Weezi, how could you not feel punchy? If I were still on a walker, I'd feel punchy all the time. I admire you so much for working so hard and following instructions so exactly.
 
One thing I know, I would have had a much harder time with recovery if this hip had happened while I was still working as a registered nurse doing 12 hour shifts. You folks who go back to work so quickly are amazing. I could not have done it.

You all need to give yourself a lot of credit. sandybeach I know I would be tempted to not go back at all in between the surgeries.
 
keepridingforward nice blog! I am originally from New Orleans, but I've lived in Huntington since 1981. As for sex (I assume that's what you mean when you say intimacy), I think you should clear it with your doctor, but I felt OK at about the 3 week mark. Here are some discussions from this site: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/sex-talking-about-sex-after-hip-surgery.3448/

thanks for the links! and reading my blog - writers block need to get back on it! happy Friday :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom