THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
sissy46 I feel right now that I could go back to work it's just my leg don't want to...lol. I have been getting a cramp in my thigh that won't go away. I keep putting pressure on it and it still hurts when I move. I figure it must be a muscle rebelling from surgery.
BarbaraR I can't wait for my next surgery. I will have it in 5 weeks and I think I will be healed enough by then that all should go well and then I can recover and look forward to a good spring and summer this year.
 
OK, here's my report from the couch after 1 week of work. Everyone was great and patient with me, so all in all it went pretty well, but by the time I got home today, I was pretty uncomfortable, and I'm seriously considering cutting back to 4 day weeks for a few weeks. I have almost no energy to exercise, but I downloaded a pedometer app to my iPhone and wore it today-- I walked over a mile around my office today in the 5 hours I was there. I just have to really concentrate so I don't start limping-- I still feel as if my right leg is longer (although I've been assured that it isn't). Yesterday was my last Lovenox injection for which I say major prayers of gratitude. I would have thought that I'd be over my needle phobia after self injecting for 4 weeks, but not so much. We have no food in the house so I will have to grocery shop tomorrow-- I would ordinarily send my husband, but he will be on a business trip next week and is busy getting ready. I'd say by the end of the week, I had more energy than I did at the beginning, but there's more pain and swelling today, which I guess means I'm overdoing it and have to make some modifications. I'll keep y'all updated.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
It's a wise woman who recognizes her limits, Barbara. Cutting back one day a week may be just the ticket as, I agree, pain and swelling mean overdoing. But glad that overall you had a good first week back at work.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
 
Good to hear how things are going for you Barbara. I plan on starting to work from home on Monday, just a few hours, lots of rest in between. It seems a common theme that we start feeling good and then we just go for it, only to have our bodies tell us to pay attention. I'll be three weeks out this coming Tuesday and I really want to do more, but every time I add more activity I realize I have to be careful. I can sit more on my job than you, but right now my middle back is starting to hurt from sitting on my bottom so much. I need to start back with some back strengthening exercises.
 
designergirl, hi Susan, that's great that you feel up to going back to work for a few hours-- it does help you feel like you're getting back to normal. I've been surprised by the back pain and knee pain-- on my good leg!-- from all the accommodations I made before. I've added some core and back exercises to my home routine when I can also. I hope you have a great week.
 
BarbaraR So glad you survived your first week at work! I'm expecting all sorts of weird pains after, from the contortions I've unwittingly put myself through these past many months. It's good to know I'm realistic, thanks! :)
I was reading back somewhere and saw that you took Celebrex for a month-- I was prescribed that too; they even gave me a freebie coupon for 7 pills. But I didn't know why I was to take it. Now, thanks to you and all those in that discussion, I do! :)
Rest, ice, work 4 days this week, walk, eat, rest, ice-- have a great week! :)
 
I am glad to hear that you are going to take it a little easier this week. I think sissy46 has it right with rest that leg. It's not liking all that you're doing to it. I am almost 3 weeks since my surgery and I want to just get back to normal too. I am forcing myself to walk around the house without the cane. I carry it with me just in case. I am hoping in a few days I won't have to do that either. I have PT tomorrow so hopefully the therapist can give me pointers as to accomplish that.
 
sandybeach, well, I'm pretty exhausted. And sad that I couldn't bounce back as quickly as I would have liked. But last night when I was walking into the kitchen and stubbed my pinky toe badly on a chair--it's all bruised, if it were more painful I'd think it was broken, I had to stop and ask myself what my body is telling me. And it is saying, SLOW DOWN. So that's what I have to do. I hope your PT goes well tomorrow.
 
BarbaraR Oh I don't like to hear you say you're exhausted :sad: I'm thinking, the energy you use at work is all used up and then your body can't heal as fast as it might have? I can't remembe--, maybe you had to go back to work so you have no choice?
I think I will be maybe irritable (LOL) when it takes so long to get going again, but here I have all you wonderful people who've btdt to help me out :) so I will practise patience...
 
zauberflöte, I love my work and it makes me feel normal to be working, so I was looking forward to going back. (And when I asked the surgeon when I could go back and he said 4 weeks, what I heard was,"in 4 weeks you will be entirely normal.") Not so much.

Yes, it is increasing the energy drain. But I'm going to cut back some this week and make sure I rest and ice when I can. Also my wonderful husband is away for the next few days, so I won't have to make dinners (no, he doesn't "make" me but I love to cook, so it was normal for me to go back to it), and I'll have the bed to myself for 2 nights.
 
BarbaraR I get the feeling you are the energizer bunny™ when you're healthy! My surgeon volunteered thusly: "hospital one night, walker one week, cane second week, back to normal activities in 3-4 weeks." The nurse later said that surgeons tend to be optimistic.. I love to cook too; maybe after I'm recovering I'll get energy back. And move more quickly!!!!!
 
zauberflöte, that's funny. My surgeon challenged me to walk into his office unaided at the 2 week visit. And I did! I never used a walker-- I brought a cane to the hospital and left with it. I didn't realize that that was unusual. I had read all the testimonies at his website and thought that was completely normal. I am normally pretty energetic. Right now I'm really mad at myself because my toe hurts. I really may have broken it-- may have to go get it x- rayed tomorrow.
 
BarbaraR why bother with the toe-- they'll just tell you to protect it till it gets better on its own LOL. At least that's how I've understood it... May as well ice it anyway :) and wear shoes? :) :whistle:
 
Hey Barbara,
Ouch! I know that had to hurt, the toes are so sensitive. I dropped a weight on my big toe years ago and thought I was going to come out of my skin! I hope it feels better tomorrow especially since you have PT. I went back to PT today with a better attitude. I decided a sour attitude wasn't going to do anyone any good. Even though the therapist gave me a hard time for putting too much weight on my right leg I didn't let it get to me. Plus I gave her quite a shock when she realized I had been doing my excercises at home. She didn't expect the muscles around my hip joint to be so loose or that I'd have more strength in my leg. She actually put a 2lb weight on it. Ok, I may have shown off a little but it was fun. :heehee:
 
Weezi, you have been so patient with your weight bearing restriction; I'm surprised you've been able to maintain a good attitude. Good for you for doing your exercises at home and impressing your therapist. (Ok, I must go do mine now....). Have a great day.
 
Weezi you are an inspiration to me with your patience and good outlook on things :) I hope I'll be able to do half so well as you are in that department! And, you go girl for surprising the PT!:heehee:
 
BarbaraR
Hi dear
İ am sorry to read that you were drained out after your first week at work. You sounded very energetic and i am sure you are.
My OS advised me that at around week 4, i can start to go to work starting with 2-3 hours per day and testing myself. My work is office work primarily...i will give my first try tomorrow.
İ hope your toe is not broken and you feel better now.
Keep well.
Selin
 
sansabosa, Selin, you are so sweet. I should have gone back half days--i'm only working 1/2 day tomorrow-- but i feel kind of stuck because so many people waited for me. But today I've felt good--I seem to be getting my energy back--so i'm hoping things are even better over the next week or two.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom