Guest viewing is limited

THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BarbaraR I am very glad you're only doing half day tomorrow! And I'm glad you feel more energetic, and that you're so in demand at your practise! :) But take it easy this weekend, ok? Maybe "call in sick" Monday LOL
 
BarbaraR it's interesting to read about you going back to work at 4 weeks. My surgeon advised that 4 weeks was the minimum time off and I was wondering if I could manage to do it that quickly. I work in a public funded job (Science Museum), which means I don't have to worry about not getting full pay but I would rather try and get back ASAP. I also need my other hip doing so it's finding the balance of recovery, back to work and the next op. You are an inspiration going back so early and working full time and I hope that I can be as strong and motivated as you are. :)
 
Littlejem, I think I should be more of a cautionary tale than an inspiration! I definitely went back too quickly. (Pay wasn't an issue for me either. I just felt a responsibility to my patients who had waited a long time to see me.). If you feel ok after 4 weeks (and to me that would mean you're walking well, maybe even without a cane, and you have a reasonable amount of energy), I'd suggest no more than 5 or 6 hours for maybe 3 days the first week or two, and then gradually ramp up from there. I've had to cut back for the next couple of weeks because I'm so exhausted. And I can do almost nothing else. I don't have kids at home, so there's no one depending on me-- don't know if that's the same for you. Wednesday was 5 weeks for me, and I feel like I'm starting to get my energy back. I've been able to do more in PT and I seem to be getting stronger. But my advice would be if you can ease back in, do it! You'll feel a lot better.

And Science Museum? Where? I love science museums! How fun! What do you do there?
XO
 
Thanks for being so honest, I'm signed off for 6 weeks at the moment but will obviously need to wait and see how I'm feeling in a few weeks, provided I can drive that is! Easing in would seem the best way to go and I'm sure that won't be a problem. So I'm interested about the fact that you have patients, :what: what do you do? I work for the London Science Museum but out at the large object store which is in Wiltshire near Swindon. We store thousands of objects including huge aircraft, steam cars and early computers, based on an old WW2 airfield with the objects stored in the old aircraft hangars. Lovely place to work, big open space, with deer, hare and rabbits in abundance and I work in the Estates team helping maintain the site buildings and grounds, mostly office based but sometimes get hands on with events and conservation.
 
Littlejem, that is so cool! My husband was almost transferred to London a couple of years ago, but we decided not to go-- partly because of my bum hip. I've never been, and am looking forward to scheduling a trip when I can walk again.

I'm an optometrist (eye doctor)-- so no knowledge of orthopedics- I'm in the school of hard knocks like everyone.
 
Littlejem that sounds like the most wonderful work ever! When you said "large object store", I thought you were selling large objects!:rotfl: But I read the next words and realized what you meant. American has to use more syllables-- I bet we'd say "storage facility" LOL Do you get school groups out there? The little boys would love it, wouldn't they?
 
I'm so jealous of all you ladies going back to work!! Being a flight attendant ( which I like to rename Sky goddess LOL) I have been hoping to be back to work by May! First I thought April but there is no way..especially with the bursitis setting me back a few paces!! I am lucky enough to be receiving State disability which pays my bills, but I miss my coworkers so much and of course my Hawaii overnights!!!But the job is strenuous and the aisles are so narrow that you hit your hips as you walk up and down the aisle while pushing a 600 lb cart! My supervisor warns me to be 100 % before I go back because once you start back its hard to go back out if you really aren't ready! So because I am SO bored home I decided its time to do some special things for me. Yesterday I drove 1 hour each way to get my hair cut and colored...thats the longest I've driven and was a bit stiff but it was worth it!! Today I may go tan at my salon...cover the scar of course..just to feel the heat and get rid of this pastey look! AND I may throw in a pedicure! I haven't pampered myself except for taking care of the hip boo boo and next Saturday is my B-day so I think I'm going to splurge! Who else will take care of me but me!!!LOL
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE! POWER TO THE HIPSTERS!!!
 
Not so cool when you remember using some of the objects and knowing that things from your life are now museum objects!! London is a wonderful place to visit but I must admit that after my trips up there I'm always glad to get back to my country life. Being an optometrist must be really interesting, eyes are such fascinating things aren't they and I can understand that your patients would want you back ASAP but hope you are taking care. zauberflöte the big boys love it too!!
 
BarbaraR Hi there. I'm interested in the tramadol you mentioned to smrt2run. I've been taking it and think about when I discontinue. You can private message me if you prefer, but I'm curious what your side effects were when you stopped it. It's funny, but I've even talked to a rheumatologist and an ortho nurse about tramadol and both said it's nothing to worry about because it's not a narcotic. They obviously don't know about it's NSRI property and the weaning necessary. So anything you'd like to share, I'm all ears.
PS I bet you're a wonderful eye doctor. I can just tell- you have such warmth and concern. Wish you were my eye doc. I'm an RN myself.
 
ByGosh may I jump in here? I'm taking a little tramadol... The first time I took it, 2009, 50mg, I felt SO GOOD in my head that I knew this was how nromal people feel much of the time-- in a good mood! One dose. The next morning I felt like whale poop at the bottom of the ocean. I did a little research, and came across a forum of ppl who have had awful experiences with it. What I felt was withdrawal! After one dose! So I stopped after that one pill. A couple years later I went back to the (same) bottle, and tried again. Same effect. That was 2011. FF to this winter, when I asked for new Rx for it, figuring that maybe the pills were pretty expired, and I needed an extra layer of pain relief. I got a new bottle,exact same pill, and the side effects are not nearly so strong, and I haven't had woithdrawal symptoms once. I take 50mg once a day, I'm really afraid to take more. That feel-good was wonderful, and not at all like codeine, which makes me feel like I love everybody in the world, at least in 1989 it did. But the withdrawal not so much, and it scared the snot outta me! PS My PCP said, "It's very safe! My wife takes it!". FWIW chris
 
I too found I couldn't function or go to work on Tramadol, which my GP prescribed for me last year, I felt really happy on them and quite spaced out. I take Tramacet now which is a low dose of Tramadol mixed with paracetamol which I can cope with much better. I believe if you take them for any length of time though you should wean off both of them as they can be addictive.
 
I need to apologize to all of you. I didn't get any notifications about this thread till today, so sorry for the late response. acbelmar, I'm glad for you that you can afford to delay going back to work. I have a place where I can lie down every day-- you don't have that-- you really do need to be 100% in your line of work. Good for you for pampering yourself this weekend. I'm off tomorrow and thinking about doing the mani-pedi; I just hate to walk around in flip flops when it's cold outside.

Littlejem, yes, I became and optometrist because I found eyes fascinating. I bet your work is fascinating too.

ByGosh, so sweet of you to say that. @zauberflote, Littlejem, and ByGosh, here's my tramodol story:
I had to go off NSAIDs a week before surgery so they gave me tramodol. I was taking 50 mg three times a day. I had no issues with it except mild constipation, but that was manageable. After surgery I was on Percocet, and after a few days home, I was so constipated, I had a headache and was throwing up. i took a bunch of stuff to treat that, and I called the pain management person and he told me to switch to tramodol, 100 mg 3-4 times a day. After a few days, the tramodol was making me constipated, too, so I cut out one dose. I noticed that I wasn't in any more pain, so I cut out another while I was treating the constipation. The next day I had terrible chills and joint aches all over my body almost like I had the flu. I googled "tramodol withdrawal" and read horror story after horror story about people who could not stop it. Their symptoms were all similar to mine. By that time, I'd been off it for 24 hours so I decided to tough it out. It took 3 days before the withdrawal symptoms abated. I took it for less than 3 weeks and had 3 days of withdrawal. So don't do what I did-- taper off gradually. Also, New York state has just classified tramodol as a narcotic. So don't be surprised if your states follow suit.
 
Its amazing how drugs effect everyone differently. Tramadol did nothing for me! I stopped taking it weeks ago because it had no effect on my at all...oxycodone helped the pain but I could drive and everything on it. I'm 5'10" and weigh over 170 so I'm a big girl..perhaps that has something to do with it. The visiting nurse asked what I was taking and when I said Tramadol she huffed and said that was nothing more than Tylenol!
 
BarbaraR Thanks for the info! Too bad you had to suffer with that! Must've been rough for you, fresh post op, too. There's info in this forum about tapering, isn't there? I remember a link someplace. The docs should have a better understanding of this and give info to patients when the med is prescribed.
 
I think everyone responds to drugs differently-- in fact, and I've mentioned this before-- I have a friend who's a patent attorney who's working with a company that's trying to create pain medication tailored to the individual. I think it's a ways off, but could be really interesting.
 
Hi Barbara,
How many hours a day are you working now?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom