THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you doing BarbaraR ? I saw on another thread you were going to start putting in some hours at work soon. Let me know how that is going. Personally I think everyone has their own personal timetable for resuming things. Some people need more time than others. For myself, I prefer to be mentally active, I've started to read yesterday and it was great. No narcotics to fog the mind. Still also checking Emails from work, it makes me feel part of action. It can get kind of lonely hanging out at home, even with my dogs. Heck those dogs are sleeping most of the time on the next couch, lazy guys!
 
Hi, designergirl, I'm doing well, thanks. Today is 3 weeks, and I can start driving-- yay! (My husband is really happy.). Doesn't it feel great to be off the brain fog drugs? I downloaded a book to my iPad and plan to read today. I started outpatient PT yesterday, and am going back this morning. My gait is really off from all the compensating I did before the surgery, and I have weak muscles in my butt. I feel like PT will really help me. I'm going to go to the office Friday to check up on emails and stuff like that, and I'm looking forward to going back to work. I think getting up, showered, hair and makeup, dressed will make me feel like a normal person, although my incision is still a bit sore so I may be wearing yoga pants for the first week or so. It's good that you feel up to being mentally active- I was still on drugs after one week and could barely concentrate. Then there was the withdrawal. Are you taking Tramadol? It's not narcotic, but wean off it gradually when you're ready. I felt sick for about 3 days from stopping it too abruptly. Hope you have a great day. Thanks for reaching out.
 
I was on Tramodol for a couple off months prior to surgery, started at 50mg 2x a day increasing to 100mg 2x a day. Maybe I was going through withdrawal at the hospital after surgery. I have a few pills left and took just one 50mg last night before bed and it helped me to sleep very well. I only woke up one time last night, this is pretty much normal for me. I don't take it during the day. When I stop I will start cutting pills and gradually do it. In New York State, Tramodol just was upgraded to a controlled substance on Feb. 23. A whole bunch of new laws were passed in NYS about narcotic meds.
 
It should be a controlled substance. People get hooked on it because it works on the serotonin in the brain-- that's why you feel good on it-- and that makes it hard to get off-- much like anti depressants. I think with as little as you're taking-- and that's great that you need so little so soon after surgery, I was taking 100 mg 3 times a day at your stage-- you won't have any problem stopping it when the time comes.
 
I've been so impressed with your recovery. Keep up the great work! :) :)
:)
 
BarbaraR, I thought i read on a thread on here that they made you change your name. Just curious as to why they made you do that.....
 
Hi Barbara the PT should really help you build up those bum muscles,we don't realise how weak they are until we have the abilility to use them but they don't work.lol. I lie on my tummy before sleep and do a little routine with mine squeezing them in out in out together and seperately. You can definitely feel when the operated side is improving and then that in turn will help your gait.

It's great that you are looking forward to going back to work, means you are getting way better

Take care

Ann
 
How is it going to be able to drive and you said you were going into the office, were you able to do that also? You said you are 3 weeks out of surgery, I am kind of scheduled to return back to work at 4 weeks. We'll see. I'm lucky enough to have plenty of vacation and sick time to cover my time off. I don't want to use it all. When I go back to work I'm planning on half days and see how that goes. What kind of exercises have you been doing to help strengthen your hip?
 
Hey girl!
I hate you had to change your username, I liked it. I started out-patient PT too and I had a hard time laying on my stomach and doing leg lifts. I think the therapist thought I had much more of a work out with in-home PT but it was nothing compared to what I'm doing now. I do feel remarkably better than I did before. Congrats on being released to drive, that's great! I am really looking forward to that day.
 
sandybeach, I'm 2 weeks ahead of your left hip, and I had the anterior approach, which meant that I went home from the hospital with a cane, and have been walking without it for about 2 weeks. You're going back to work at 4 weeks after your second surgery? (Which is Tuesday, right?). I have used all my paid leave, and I should be getting some small amount of disability payment, but I'm not sure how that works. I just started outpatient PT last week-- I do isometric quad strengthening, bridges, something called clamshell that strengthens the outside of my hip, and a bunch of stretches. At home I started sit ups and modified push ups today. It takes me about an hour to do all the home stuff, and that takes a lot out of me. I don't know how that will be on a work day-- we'll see. Yesterday I walked about 1/2-3/4 mile slowly. My husband thinks I should be going to the gym, but I don't feel ready to do that yet. I'm frankly nervous about going back to work because I get so tired so easily, but we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Weezi, I like my old user name, too-- I use it in other forums. Oh well, no big deal. I haven't started leg lifts on my stomach-- maybe because of the anterior approach? That's probably where the dislocation risk is if there is one. I had some discomfort and swelling in my knees after PT on Friday so I'm going to slow it down a bit till my quads get stronger. I don't want to need a knee replacement! I hope you get to start driving soon, it really is liberating.
 
I do think I need to step up the exercises all I have really done at this point is get up from a chair and walk around the house. I have left our home twice so that's a little more stretching and twisting. I have noticed sitting in a chair is becoming more uncomfortable but then I have gone off the stronger pain med's too. I'm scheduled to go back to work 4 weeks after my first surgery. So the 26th of March. I have to talk to my OS to see if that can be extended if I feel I need more time. I'm an office manager so I can sit and be up and about as much as I need. I have a handicap parking sticker so I can park close to the door. I am planning on starting back half days and maybe a few days a week I will only be back a couple weeks before my next surgery. My second surgery is April 12th so I'm wondering if that will be easier, I hoping, or harder.
 
sandybeach, you have March 12th in your signature for your second surgery; that's why I thought it was this week. So you'll go back for a few weeks and then take a few weeks off after the second one? I think the second will be easier if only because you know what to expect, and it won't be so cold-- maybe you can get outside a bit-- or is it still really cold in Minnesota in April? I find it really hard to sit for extended periods of time, do you? But as an office manager, I'm sure you can move around when you need to.
 
Hi there, Glad you're all progressing so well. I hope I can, too! I had my BTHRs last Mon. the 4th and it's been rough going here. I'll just keep on reading your posts and taking tips from those who are ahead of me. I agree about the Tramadol and it needing to be weaned because of the norepinephrine/seratonin property in it. I was anxious about that for the hospital, so I asked the surgeon to order it post op and he did. I didn't need it, though. Perhaps the narcotics took care of it, or maybe I wasn't on that much - 100mg in the AM and 75-100mg at noon for a month or two prior. I'm back on it now at home to try and reduce the need for the stronger meds, but for some reason today was a painful day, and I needed both. I may've been up too much yesterday in an attempt to get the circulation going because both of my thighs were swollen for the first time. So I rested more today, did ankle pumps, gluteal and quad squeezes, leg slides, and mininal walking - just bathroom. Still sore, painful. I'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm anxious about it, and hope it's ok!
Good luck going back to work, ladies. I think it's going to be sometime before I get back. It'll be a week tomorrow, and I don't feel like I'm moving forward much. I didn't think it would be such a challenge!


 
ByGosh, I think there has to be some kind of hero status for people like you who do both hips at the same time. It was hard to move the first week with only one. I hope every day gets better for you.
 
So here's my report from my first day back at work: it was fine! Everyone was happy to see me and really helpful. And I was starving! From being at home,I had gotten used to eating whenever I was hungry-- which meant a bunch of small meals and snacks throughout the day. By the time lunch came, I was starved and my usual lunch wasn't enough. I definitely have to bring snacks to work. And by 4:00 I was exhausted! But I ended up staying till almost 5:30 because my last patient had a problem and I had to run a bunch of tests. (Of course!). I'm off tomorrow-- just have PT and a haircut-- and then 4 days in a row. Should be interesting! I'm a little worried about Thursday-- I have PT at 10 and my last patient is at 7-- but I think I'll be able to rest in the middle of the day. Hope y'all had a good day. XO
 
Hey girl,
Congrats on your first week back to work! I hope tomorrow isn't too taxing for you, it sounds like a long day. Thanks for your words of encouragement yesterday. I'm usually not so pitiful but I feel like I've been on a hormonal rollercoaster as of late. My PT called Tuesday morning, my OS office finally got back in touch with him. He was told that I had to remain on touch down weight bearing until the end of the month because of the type of implant he used. Obviously I should be more assertive with my OS but it would have been nice if he would have shared that information with my husband and I at the last visit. It's not that big of a deal since I am able to work from home but I feel I should have been informed just the same. Anyway, at least I know now. I'm looking forward to hearing how your week is going now that your back at work. Hopefully, your able to take a break every now and then. :yes:

Weezi
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom