THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Postop day 12... Just want y'all to know that I'm doing really well. I've been walking without a cane for over a week, and I mostly resolved my stomach issues by stopping the codeine and taking probiotics in addition to the stool softeners. (I'm still taking tramodol which is also constipating, but doesn't make me feel sick.) A friend called and offered to bring dinner so invited her and her husband for dinner and I made dessert. Tonight another friend brought us dinner and stayed and ate with us. And I'm not in pain or exhausted!! I was thinking of going back to work next week, but I can't drive till 3 weeks postop. My leg still hurts occasionally, and I don't feel back to normal yet, so don't worry, I'm resting a lot and icing and taking care of myself. I wish the same for all of you. I'm so grateful for all of your love, help and support.

And now a delicate question. For those of you who are experienced "hippies," when and how did you resume relations with your spouse? Is there a position that's more or less comfortable? I don't have any restrictions, but I also don't want to hurt myself. If you find this embarrassing and want to message me privately, that's fine. (And don't worry, it's not because of any pressure from my husband, I'm just wanting to get back to normal life.). Thanks! XO
 
It's so ironic that u posted that question Drbabs, my husband asked the in-home physical therapist the same thing Monday when she came to sign me out of in home therapy. She said at two weeks it would be fine and that it was an important question to ask. We both wanted to know but I still laughed out loud. We were going to ask my doctor but the therapist was so helpful and spent a lot of time answering all our questions. She said to make sure you are as comfortable as possible and it may help to use pillows to get make sure your hip feels supported. I am ready to get back to a normal life too. Its wonderful to hear you are doing so well!
 
No, it's not indelicate but I understand where your coming from. My physical therapist said it's actually a common question. We certainly wouldn't want to end up back in the hospital over something we may have done too soon. Imagine explaining that one to your OS. :heehee: . This is me trying not to be too indelicate though, she said reverse missionary is best way to start out. So we got the green light but with three kids in the house opportunity is slim at best. It is remarkable how much better you feel with each new day. I have gotten to the point where sometimes I actually forget that I had a THR!
 
Ok, reverse missionary-- as in doggie style? (Never mind-- I found it on the Men's Health website-- it's woman on top!) I'm 8 days behind you-- I have days when I feel great and have tons of energy and days (like today) when I'm exhausted. I look forward to the day when I forget I've had a THR. We have no kids in the house anymore, but will probably wait till I get the staples out on Friday. I wouldn't want to hurt him. Or me.
 
Actually, I thought it was doggie style but I am glad you looked it up. However, it does seem like a safe position. I didn't realize you still had staples in so I would definitely wait until sometime after Friday. My doctor used stitches that disovled and then glued the incision together. My incision as healed quite well so the scar won't be as bad as I had thought. But I am on restriction for another 3 weeks and have to use a walker. I do forget about it from time to time but not for long. Did you have direct anterior approach? I figured you did since you are doing so well and aren't on restriction. Unfortunately, I didn't find out who the doctor in my area was who did the DAA until after my surgery. I do feel like my OS did a good job just wish the hospital experience wasn't such a nightmare. I know what you mean about those days of feeling exhausted. I had the same type day today but it was nice to take it easy for a change. I am trying to ease back into work and I need to start outside PT soon. I am just taking a couple of days to myself before I get into that routine. Good luck Friday, I am sure it will be nice to get those staples out!
 
Yes, I had the direct anterior approach; my incision is on the front of my thigh up to my hip. I went into New York City for the surgery-- about an hour from where I live. I was really lucky to find this surgeon, he's great, and I have no restrictions. I wish your hospital experience hadn't been such a nightmare, too; I still can't get over what you went through. Seems like you've bounced back really well, and you'll be walking with a cane and then with nothing before you know it. I will be happy to get the staples out. I'm allergic to adhesive so I haven't been able to cover them with anything-- all I can wear are loose yoga pants. Not the worst thing in the world, right?
 
I am so happy for you in that you were able to have the DAA! I did my research well before I had my sugery as far as what options were available. I didn't even know there was a doctor close to my area that did it until after the fact. I think I had already mentioned that but I am really happy for you! Speaking of my hospital nightmare, I received a survey form from the hospital yesterday. I was surprised to get it and am really looking forward to filling it out. I swear fact is really stranger than fiction in this case. I couldn't imagine so many things going so wrong in only 48 hours. You should really be feeling great after you get those staples out tomorrow. Be sure to post and let me know how it goes.

Congrats!
Weezi
 
DrBabs, I waited the full six weeks of my restrictions to get the okay from my doc. I was totally astonished at the absence of pain. I didn't need a single pillow. Traditional missionary....full range of motion. My joints just worked the way they are supposed to. Since you had the anterior approach, I imagine you don't have to wait as long. Enjoy. :)

Sharon
 
Definitely enjoy!

stargirl... Thought you might be interested in this discussion.. Xxxxx
 
I went to the surgeon today and had my staples out. All is well. I have to go back in 3 months. He ok'ed my going back to work a week from Monday and reminded me that I'd be recuperating over three months so not to be surprised if I feel uncomfortable if I overdo it. We got to see the X-rays-- really amazing. I'm starting to come out of the getting off painkillers fog, and I feel pretty good but tired. I start outpatient PT next week, and I'm glad I have 10 more days till I go back to work.
 
Congrats Drbabs! Sounds like you had a good day yesterday. Do you have any restrictions? I was impressed to see my x-rays too! It really is something else to see what they are able to do now. I am also supposed to start out patient PT next week. I was supposed to start this past week as in-home PT ended the week before. I put it off for a week due to several reasons. In-home therapy was supposed to be for 3 weeks and they only came for a week and a half. I was feeling much stronger a couple of days ago and I took a long, "normal" shower rather than sitting in the chair most of the time. Well, I think I may have over done it without realizing it at the time. The therapist told me I could work at my desk but not to sit longer than an hour at a time. I have slowly been incorporating a little work into my day to keep from getting too far behind. A few hours after that long shower I was sitting at my desk when I noticed an odd, uncomfortable feeling in my lower back, left of center. I had the THR on the right leg so I wasn't immediately worried. Once I tried to stand I realized it was a bit more serious. It feels like a muscle spasm and I'm wondering if this is due to the fact that I am still only touch down weight bearing on the walker. Since most of my weight is on the left leg I figured maybe it's just taken it's toll. I have to admit, I have been a little careless when using the walker. There's no excuse for it, just my impatience. I haven't been out of the house except to go to follow up with OS. Other than my excercises, I stay put for the majority of the day. I get up every hour or so to stretch my legs but it's not like I'm running rampant on the walker. But I am tiring of not even being able to go to the bathroom without my metal cage on wheels and tennis balls. :boohoo: Okay, enough of my pity party. LOL. I guess I'm currently on the low end of this roller coaster ride. I am just disappointed in that I was feeling so much better and then my lower back gives out. I have been pampering my poor back over the last couple of days and it's starting to improve. I am hoping the out patient PT will help with my feeling of going stir crazy. :spin:
 
Hi Weezi! I don't have any restrictions except no high impact for 3 months. And of course I have to continue the Lovenox injections for 2 more weeks, which I hate. Sounds like you overdid it on the left side. Before the surgery I was having a lot of trouble with my left knee (opposite side) for the same reason. The PT will be able to help you, and I think it will be good for you to get out of the house. Once you're stronger, you'll be able to be more weight bearing and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly you go from walker to cane to nothing. (But don't be impatient like I was! I'm still under the weather from stopping the pain meds too abruptly.). I'm attempting to go out to dinner and a show with friends tonight. Dinner is early, and we'll bring our own car so we can leave the show if it gets to be too much. I hope next week goes better for you.
 
Those pain meds, they make the hip feel pretty good, but there is the brain fog thing that I do not like. I understand the temptation to get off them, I already do not like what they do to my mind. Thy especially make me search for words that I need in conversation. I was describing something to my husband but the right words were hard to find...
 
designergirl, for me the first meds (Percocet) made me horribly sick-- nothing smelled or tasted right, and I got so constipated that I was throwing up (sorry if this is TMI). I actually felt good on the Tramadol, but it was also constipating, so I tried to skip a dose while I dealt with that. When I noticed that the pain didn't come back, I skipped another one. Then I wasn't feeling well but it wasn't hip pain, and by the time I realized why I wasn't feeling well (I was in withdrawal), it had been 24 hours since I'd taken it so I decided to tough it out through the withdrawal. Don't do what I did! Whatever pain meds you're on, reduce them gradually over several days, or you'll be treated to flu like symptoms which are no fun especially when you're recovering. (It's probably too soon for you to do that anyway, but keep it in mind over the next week or so as you start feeling better.). I googled "Tramadol withdrawal" and read horror story after horror story of people trying to get off a supposedly non- narcotic drug. Apparently it works on the serotonin in the brain-- which is why you feel good when you take it-- but that makes it hard to stop.
 
Hi designergirl and Drbabs I felt exactly the same with heavier level of meds and went cold turkey on stopping them. I am now almost six weeks on wed and have been on eight panadol a day and swap one for a panadeine forte as required . In hindsight I think def some of my emotions were attributed to drugs leaving my system but u hated the way I was dumbed down , constipated and generally out of it whilst on them . Soldiered through some pain that I probably did not need to but what to do when you are sensitive to drugs ?
I am sure week by week you will both need lesser form of drugs as pain dissipates xxx
 
stargirl -- 6 weeks, that's so great! I've just been taking extra strength acetaminophen (same as Panadol) -- 4-6 per day, and I have to take Celebrex twice a day to prevent bone from growing into muscle(?!)-- it's an anti- inflammatory, but I'm not sure if it helps at all with pain. At this point (2.5 weeks), I only have a little achiness either if I sit too long, or if I overdo it. I'm going to see my grandchildren tonight-- haven't seen them since before surgery-- I'm excited, but I'm sure I'll sleep well tonight! Hope you continue to be well.
 
Drbabs, I have edited the above post so that stargirl was actually tagged. Do not put a hyphen directly after the user name--leave a space or use a comma. The programming seems to attach the hyphen to the user name so it is not recognized and does not get tagged. Found this out the hard way myself.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom