THR Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get down. I am 4 weeks post op and I have days that don't go the way I want. Believe me every day will get better even with the bad. Be positive and slow and patient.
 
Thanks, nanal. I just read your update. So happy you're doing well. I've had to cut back on the pain meds because I was beginning to worry about an impacted bowel. (Sorry if this is TMI) so I didn't sleep really well last night and I'm a little nauseous this morning. My hip feels pretty good actually-- it's all the other stuff involved with recovering from major surgery. Not to complain, im luckier than most. My husband is also retired and my sister is here for a few days. She makes me laugh a lot (she and my other sister named my new hip Lindsay after the bionic woman,) and yesterday she hung out in the bathroom when I took my first shower and blew out my hair for me so I could feel like a normal person. So as recovery goes, I'm super lucky.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
you have been struck by the dreaded constipation monster, but you do not want to cut back on pain meds this early on. Stool softeners twice a day, Miralax every other day for a while, glycerine suppositories, prunes, prune juice, lots of fluids will get you going. This is one area that almost no one says anything to you about. You get no instructions what to do and how to do it. I really don't know why they don't get one started on some regimen at the hospital.


We all suffer from this at one time or another during recovery. So you are in very good company. Hope you get it resolved soon. But keep taking your pain meds!

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Home from the hospital and looking forward to going back to yoga!
 
Drbabs, great account of your surgical experience! Each one I read makes me a little more at ease knowing what to expect. Sounds like you are having a great sister experience. My sister lives across the country, but if she was here I know she'd make me laugh too. Hope your recovery keeps going in the right direction.

—Susan
 
Finally thought to look in on you and I find you on (and sometimes off) a cane already. Either you're one tough broad or the differences between anterior and posterior approaches are thus made apparent (or both, or neither) but I couldn't even sit up without leaning on a wall until day two. One week on, and I'm still looking at my cane and thinking, pretty soon that's all I'll need. Enjoy your mobiliy, I certainly would! And I never thought I would appreciate the prune as I have come to do. Next February, I may bake a King Prune Cake as a one year homage to the mighty fruit. Carry on!
 
Thanks, Susan.
And stargazer, yes, there's a huge difference in the immediate postoperative period between anterior and posterior approach. (Equally good results long term.). I feel really lucky.
 
Stargazer, I love the idea of a King Prune Cake for the one year. I would love a recipe! As I'm on Vicodan now pre-op, I've come to appreciate this wonderful fruit and also the 2 pounds of raw carrots I eat every week. I think I may start to look orange soon.
 
I'll have to make one up. Every time I try to poach Mardi Gras cuisine, it takes me 2-3 attempts to get a result worth even letting see the light of day (it's a long reach from the Carolina mountains). Maybe I'll just hide a prune in an otherwise by-the-books King Cake and ask forgiveness for the unorthodoxy. Back to you Drbabs; I just staggered by with best wishes, don't let me hijack your thread with some nightmare confection. Onward!
 
Stargazer, I'm an amateur baker, so you're cracking me up. I posted this elsewhere, but is anyone else having terrible gastro side effects from the meds? (At least I hope it's the meds and not the prosthesis.). I've cut back on pain meds because of constipation (and am taking a bunch of stuff for that,) I stopped the nausea meds for the same reason, and today I was nauseous and had a headache all day, and threw up when the PT was here. Anyone else doing Lovenox injections? Could it be that? I've emailed the surgeon's PA but haven't heard back today. Thanks for any suggestions. (Coke seems to be the only thing I can tolerate.)
 
Hey Drbabs, so sorry to hear you are battling nausea. The constipation can hurt you both ways, doesn't seem fair though. The syrup in canned peaches can help settle a nauseas tummy (heavy syrup rather than light). I pray you get over the constipation soon as I know that can be miserable. I am so glad to hear your surgery and hospital stay went well.:SUNsmile:

Hugs,

Weezi
 
Drbabs, has it been suggested that you try a 'stool softener' and keep your fluid intake high. With the dreaded constipation, it is stool softeners rather than laxatives that you need.

Hope you have luck soon, it certainly makes one feel very 'yucky' :)
 
Hi Weezi and Poppet. When I realized that I was taking 4 different types of meds to combat the constipation, I decided to stop the codeine. I'm now just taking tramodol-- which does constipate me a little, but is manageable-- and acetaminophen. So far the pain has been ok, but I feel so much better overall that I'd rather just manage the pain with that and icing than go back to feeling so sick. Not feeling sick means I have more energy, I can do my exercises, I even got dinner on the table tonight (just heating soup, etc., but much more than I could do yesterday). Can't say this would be the answer for everyone-- we all have different pain and tolerances-- but so far it seem to be working for me. Thanks so much for your support and caring.
 
Ah, codeine will do it every time.. so pleased you are feeling better :)
 
You are so right about the icing! I still can't believe the difference that it's made in helping to control the pain. I certainly wouldn't have thought about ice unless I had learned the bonesmart mantra. They hardly mentioned ice in the hospital and as much pain as I was in, I doubt I would have thought it would really do me any good. I soley went on what I read here so many times and insisted on having four bags of ice every six hours. I am still using it regularly and I notice when I've gone without it too long. I still needed pain meds but the ice is just as important in my opinion.

I have to say, I am impressed that you tended to dinner tonight (soup certainly counts), well done Drbabs. Don't do too much too soon though. I have to say that out loud so I will hear it too. :wink:
 
You are very welcome... it is because we have gone before you with our own THR and surgical experiences, we know what you are going through and can usually offer a work around or solution or just support and caring :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom