THR Home and Feeling Great!

I'll break out my "new" tie dye long skirt for the occasion. I think I'll try my usual yoga pants to get in and out of soon too!

Just got back into my Yoga pants this past week...lived in loose PJ bottoms for 3 weeks...couldn't wait to get out of those! I hear ya on style...bought a "mumu" dress for ease and never wore it! Loose fitting big baggy clothes are just not my thing (I look like a big box in them - depressing to say the least lol) but I do like the "tie dye look"...now you're literally a "hippy hippie mama" : ) good luck and have fun on your outing! Have a fish taco for me ~

Last edited:
Hi @luvsibes
Wondering if you made it out for tacos? Those first outings can feel awkward
with all the things you have to take into consideration. But....it does feel great to be
in the land of the living once again. I do recall having a new appreciation for so many things I took
for granted. As crazy as it sounds, I sometimes miss the natural high of those days. Post Oxy :heehee: only took 4.
The excitement of a second chance after suffering pain for many months. The daily feeling of a sense of gratitude. I recall even taking in blue skies, sunshine and chirping birds as something I took for granted but was now keenly aware of.
Amazing what a scalpel, power tools and a prosthetic can do for a persons outlook on life, lol.
A great rest of the week to you!

Well I did it! I washed my hair, put on my tie dye post-op skirt (I really don't like long skirts but they are so easy right now!) and a tee, and went out and about after a friend stopped by with a lovely orchid plant! My dear husband was very brave and patient as we went for a late lunch at a favorite taco Tuesday spot with yummy smoked fish tacos. He managed to get me settled in the car, Togo the husky in the back of the car, and all our gear in a calm and orderly manner. I loved walking from our accessible parking spot up the little ramp to our outdoor seating. He brought the stadium cushions for the chairs. They know us at this place so it was nice to see folks. It was a beautiful SoCal day and felt great to be out. After lunch, he loaded us both back in to the car and back home just a short drive. Once home, I did my P/T exercises. I had reduced my Tramadol intake but later grabbed a pill (not a 1/2) and set out to nap. I found myself a bit sore later in the day! It's hard to know how to pace yourself but I don't feel a major setback. We'll see in a bit when P/T comes!

Thanks for the encouragement to get out and see the outdoors again! It was a nice day. I think I'll rest more today, however!

YAY ~ that's so awesome, great to hear!
You're amazing, not even two weeks and already out and about : )
Smoked Fish Tacos.....Yummy! I bet Togo was happy to get out a bit too:doggie:
Sounds like you did everything right and are taking good care of yourself by taking it slow which is so so smart! Slow and steady wins this race : ):egypdance:
My initial "going out attire" was a long maxi dress as well, just easy!
Luv the fact that you brought cushions for the chairs....again so so smart of you!
Rest Well today, good luck with your PT and remember to ICE ICE baby:ice:
Sending lots of positive healing vibes to you today ~

Last edited:
Happy Wednesday! :hi:
Recovery is no time to be a slave to fashion. That goes right out the window, lol.
It's all about comfort and ease. The thought of anything rubbing on that incision makes you cringe. It did me anyway.

I love Orchids, they're so beautiful....lucky you.
What a sweet friend picking out the pretty plant with you in mind.

Bringing a cushion for your chair is such a great idea and one I never thought of in those early days. May even help for any car rides that last over 15-20 mins in those first months of recovery. I got wiggly jiggly and wanted OUT pretty quickly in those first weeks.

It sounds like you had a wonderful time dining el fresco in sunny CA. It's great you made the outing.
I think you'll quickly realize your limitations and modify accordingly....all the while growing in strength and energy. You're doing a great job @luvsubes May it only get better!

Thanks Layla, Sequin98, and of course, Fritzy Bear! I just had P/T and walked again outside. She massaged my IT muscles which are always so tight. I'm feeling good today and will plan to lay low. Bringing the chair pads was hubby's idea.

I just saw a thread on pets I'm going to check out. Here's a better pic of Togo (it was my avatar here in the beginning).

Off to ice now.

Attachments

• 18056730_653572294832010_1878656252227107509_n - Copy.jpg
    18056730_653572294832010_1878656252227107509_n - Copy.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOSH....TOGO IS SO BEAUTIFUL!!! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS ~
What a handsome boy! Thanks for posting his pic ~ LUV HIM!!!

GETTING BACK TO YOU MY DEAR!
How awesome that you had a little massage....lucky you! My therapist walked Fritz while on "our PT walks"....so I got a 2-fer : ) think I would have enjoyed a massage more LOL!
Also happy to hear PT went well : )
A little PT and short walk outside everyday goes a long way...then rest is the best with ICE:ice: of course : )
I iced and elevated right after I walked or did my PT up to my 4th week!
You have such a smart hubby bringing the cushion for chairs!
Sending lots of luv and hugs to you today~

:puppysmooze:Today is the Week 2 Anniversary for my new hip! Hip Hip Hooray! It seems like I haven't posted in quite awhile but have been enjoying learning from everyone and sharing with you on your threads. So, here is my update:

I have less pain than pre-surgery and better walking gait! I believe I'm progressing well and keep notes about my exercises and note increases in reps, strength, and flexibility. I've gotten out a couple of times to dine with hubby and pup. Thinking through about our favorite places and the types of chairs, etc. is a must. We bring stadium cushions and I found that I sometimes need a foot rest (short person whose feet don't always reach the ground and dangling does not feel good!). I'm becoming a bit of a McGyver (if you remember that show) at improvising and adapting when needed!

I have over a week to go until my post-op on 7/2 which hopefully starts a new phase of recovery (shower, bandages/stitches/staples removed, drive, outpatient P/T). I have a nurse aid coming weekly as I keep losing the bandage as I woller in bed! Meanwhile, I strive to balance my desire to everything with my capacity and energy needs to rest and heal. I'm getting tired of reading (although it's a favorite activity for me), watching movies, talking on the phone and sleeping.

I miss doing dog activities such as walks (I at least limped along behind pre-op), bending over to pet and give tummy tickles and serve meals. This morning I decided to fix Togo's breakfast as I'm the early riser and get it down to his food stand. I kept my surgical leg straight behind me and used the "good" leg to balance and stretched my arms and got the bowl down w/o going over 90 degrees. I was pleased and so was Togo! I don't think I violated the rules and will show my P/T today.

I'm hoping for a cane today. My right arm was challenged pre-surgery from awkward right side sleeping. I'm onv my back totally but the pushing up to the bed, leaning on walker, and what-ever have made it angry. I'm using lots of topicals on it but am so ready to dump assistive devices in the house! I'm also ready to dump my dumpy recovery clothes!

Thanks again to all my new hippy friends on Bonesmart. This has been a great source of support and fun for me. I am appreciative to all of you and the forum experts and admin.

Sending love and healing vibes to all!:loveshwr:

I love reading about all your little victories. You sound so upbeat and I'm getting all the love your sending. I found our yoga practice to be helpful when walking with cane. Everyday, I will stand in Mountain pose at the kitchen counter. My hold count is getting longer and my feet are getting closer..almost a fist width apart. Every muscle in my leg starts talking to me.And I answer... Balance.! I Am Strong.

YAY ~ You sound amazing Luvsibes!
Seems everything is moving along exactly as it should at this stage and I know you'll will be running around and playing with TOGO again SOON :dogwalk:

The first few weeks while in the early stages of recovery (due to so much exhaustion) seemed to pass slower for me...after the 3rd and 4th, they move along much more quickly as you have more mobility and are able to do more in and around the home : )

I couldn't be happier for you! Keep that cane close : ) I still use it on my long walks...better to be safe than sorry!
Sending you lots and lots of positive healing vibes today in your ongoing recovery!

I love your sensible, measured approach to all @luvsibes
A lot of it can feel like nonsense but it's only temporary.
You're doing great at only two weeks post op. Time passes more quickly in recovery than what we imagined.
At least I found that to be true. You'll be back to all of your normal activities before you know it.
Enjoy the weekend in beautiful Cali!

Thanks Layla, and AnnieRose. I love the support here.

My first 2 weeks are a blurr but seem to have gone quickly. I'm excited for the next phase and waiting for the 7/2 pre-op may seem like forever.

I am moving around the house during the day w/o the walker. It's actually easier in my small home. I use it at night and when I'm fatigued. I am going to try to do some cooking (beyond zapping and opening a jar) and chopping vegetables, etc. this week...a bit at a time.

I don't have a cane yet. P/T will submit for it medically. I think she's taking her time in reporting to ensure I get all my sessions. It would certainly be better to use when I'm out in the world than the clunky walker. I changed into loose yoga pants yesterday all by myself before going out! I ended up back in the long skirt once home for napping.

Hava a beautiful weekend! Are we still "Sunbeams" on the forum or are we now "Rainbows" moving toward the pot of gold at the end of this journey?

husky rainbow.jpg Yikes! I need to learn how to edit my posts! The original pic above was way too big. Sorry! I learned how to remove the pic. It was a lovely rainbow but covered the entire page! Here it is!

Last edited:
So great to hear of your ongoing progress!
If you're arms and wrists are taxed from the walker....the cane may also tax them (it did me)...especially my wrist when on my daily walks.

I chose to use crutches as I was able to control the bearing weight more as well as focus on my posture staying upright and proper walking techniques...loved it when I went on my walks! I was able to go further than with the cane...wasn't until my 4th week that I started using the cane and lost the crutches : ) Got mine at CVS for $24...(cheap), my husband came home w/a blingie turquoise and silver one, adjustable and w/a good grip handle...why not have fun w/it right?!

Wising you a lovely weekend Hugs to Togo ~

Love your updates! @luvsibes
I recall being anxious for my first post op visit also.
THR is such a big deal, you want the reassurance your doing well and all looks normal to the OS.

So many firsts, mastering a shower without someone within earshot, taking steps unaided, prepping a meal, getting dressed! Those little milestones all feel like great victories! You feel like a little smartie pants.
"I pulled up my own undies today." "I made coffee and my own breakfast....all by myself". It's almost comical.

You're doing it all so well. Keep it up.
Thanks for sharing that beautiful photo. I hope your weekend is lovely!

Thanks Layla. The photo I was looking for was one in my favorite place, Maui, but I couldn't find it. So, this one is in Alaska with huskies (of course) in the foreground. You are right about the little victories to celebrate. It is comical as I announce them each time with pride!

My shoulder is more sore than wrists. I'm a disaster with crutches! A few years ago I sprained my ankle and was given crutches. I don't have great upper body strength and I just couldn't get going with the crutches. At first we laughed about it and then we decided I was better off and safer hopping and limping! I have mixed feelings about the cane but found one with Hawaiian flowers for under $20 online. I'm holding off to see what Medicare sends as I hope to not need it for long or at all.

My mom was a ballroom and jitterbug gal. Senior Zumba was her late life exercise until her hip began to challenge her. I got her a cane and could not get her to master the cadence with it. We laughed so much and my husband was puzzled how she could dance but not use the cane! So, a pink rolly walker with leopard accessories worked for her in late life. The walker is now with my 98 y.o. aunt. I hope I can do better with a cane! I prefer walking freely, at least in the house at this time!

Beginning of Week 3 at home. Yesterday, I moved around my small home mostly independently without the walker except when I would get tired. I am hoping today with PT to get a cane.

Yesterday, I made an omelette on my own with bacon, spinach, tomato and cheese. I needed help from hubby to get supplies and pans from lower shelves but was able to do it! I made a salad for dinner to go with the soup I had frozen pre-surgery. I felt quite proud.

I feel like a horse ready to go at the starting gate! One more week until post-op appointment and getting the stitches/staples out, ok to shower (thank goodness!), drive and go to outpatient rehab. I do hope all that occurs with my appointment next week.

So, off to another sponge bath, hair wash in the sink and putting on pants before PT comes.

I know I need to pace myself but I'm so ready for the next phase!

Good vibes and love to all today!

Your updates are great @luvsibes
Sounds like a yummy omelette you made and good for you doing it by yourself.
I'm willing to bet that all you mentioned will occur at your appt next week.
You'll love that feeling of independence again. During my recovery I couldn't wait for my three week
post op to be released to drive. Then I surprised myself by not driving for several more days.
It bothered me knowing I couldn't. I guess I was looking for permission more than looking forward to driving.

Good luck with PT today. Don't let them work you too hard.
Hope this week is a good one!

Thanks Layla. You always have the best responses to help me put everything into perspective.

I just ordered a cane after talking with my PT who is wonderful and understands and supports my need to pace myself rather then my desire to push ahead. The Medicare cane hasn't even been ordered so I ordered a Maui flowers one to be here in a couple of days.

I imagine I'll be like you...permission to drive but not overly anxious to do so. Being in Southern Cali means traffic and crazy drivers and I do like being driven by hubby. Just knowing I have the freedom to go on my own will be wonderful, however.

I'm expecting a good week. I am almost done with a novel, have played way too many games of Words with Friends and FreeCell, and watched enough TV and movies for the year! Ready to rock and roll....ok, I know - pace myself! LOL!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
corvettejanie
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom