THR Home and Feeling Great!

Hope you are doing well and must say you are inspiring and positive to be in such early days from such a major surgery.:tada:
I was still in major whine mode at this point....

I know you see that when all this recovery mess is over, a life without hip pain is on your renewment horizon.
Hope you have a peaceful gaming weekend!:SUNsmile:
 
Luvsibes!
I love your name and am sending out lots of love and hugs to you! Be gentle, be kind to yourself! Be patient and let your body heal...per my previous link in my posting today! Know that I am here with you and that I've been in your place! June 5th...just 10 days from today....take it easy....don't push too hard and again....let your body heal! Be well my dear and reach out to me if you need anything!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My dear Luvsibes,
My heart goes out to you and I want you to know that I'm thinking of you during your recovery and appreciate your comments! Your husband sounds amazing (like mine).....totally taking care of you! We are fortunate and blessed and I know you will be practicing Yoga again soon!
Sending love and hugs to you!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for reaching out. It seems we're both yoga gals. I have found a number of synergies among some members on these forums. "Luvsibes" comes from my luv of siberian huskies. Togo is our 3rd and we've had this rescue boy 1 year + after he was a death row shelter boy and a husky rescue saved him. He's been so good with the nurses and therapists coming in and showed off his down dog to the P/T therapist yesterday.

My hubby has been very patient although his sleep patterns are way off but I got in and out of bed quietly last night independently and without waking him. I think today will be a great day. I plan to hibernate and read today. Thanks again for your positive vibes and support!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@AnnieRose2
Hi Soul Sister, Wow! You had a yoga teacher trained by Tao! She is amazing and inspiring. I assume I will continue to adapt my yoga and avoid my previous hyper-flexibility and push to go further. I will continue to teach my adaptive chair yoga students and hope to be able to get on the floor and mat again. My first ortho doc said I couldn't but Dr. Klapper is more positive. I thought it was interesting that Tao showed up in my news feeds yesterday! I hadn't thought about her in awhile. The universe sends the message when we need it!

I also had posterior lateral on the left hip. The scar is also in the burning and now itching stage. A nurse (LVN) finally came yesterday to check the wound and change the bandage and look at all the skin tears from the initial large bandage removal. I did not look at the scar nor do I want to until it's healed. I'm very squeamish about wounds and blood. Our last husky had a skin issue at one time and later cancer surgery and hubby had to do all the wound care activities.

My blood pressure is still pretty low which may account for the lethargy and mood swings. P/T 5x/week would be exhausting. I start 3x/wk on Monday. I think I've violated the 90 degree rule a few times when I move without awareness (eating, getting my covers, etc.) I've felt no pain from that and catch myself quickly. The grabber tool is my best buddy...I need a second one for when I drop the darned thing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have a good day @luvsibes. Glad your recovery is going well. I found grabber so useful with first hip, I bought extra for second so I can keep them in strategic spots. Still use them for things around house!
 
Happy Saturday!
Had to laugh at your comment about looking at blood, or your wound. I'm kind of the same.
I'd have my hubby snap a photo with my phone. It was easier to look at it that way......disconnected from myself. Talk about silly! :heehee:

It can be easy to violate the 90 degree rule out of habit. Many don't have restrictions, I didn't, but was told to move slowly and if anything hurt, STOP.
Hope you have a great weekend! @luvsibes
 
Don't you just LUV our fur babies! Togo is gorgeous : )
They simply make everything right in the world especially when they treat us to their down dog poses :puppysmooze:
We adopt our pups too....our recent is a big boy, Fritzy an 86 lb Bernese Mountain Dog...such a sweet and loving boy and also does well with nurses and PT visits in the home! I actually trained him as a Therapy Dog and we used to visit patients.

I hope you are able to rest well and relax today and you're feeling better soon ~
Big Hugs to Togo : )
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I did drop my grabber @luvsbies and unsuccessfully tried to hook it with my cane.
Laughed at myself and felt like a loser :rotfl:
All you can do is laugh at your pathetic self, right? :heehee:
And then give a big thanks that recovery is only temporary!
 
My hubby has been very patient although his sleep patterns are way off but I got in and out of bed quietly last night independently and without waking him
I felt so badly for my DH as he assisted me up and down for so many nights, that I was also extremely proud the night I managed to slip out quietly for bathroom and water without waking him.
Unfortunately, when opening the refrigerator, the side rack full of condiments came loose and there was the worst clamor imaginable.
Of course, he woke..assumed I fell, and had to pick up all the mess of the floor. I cried.:cry:
Glad he loves me. Still.
 
Hello my dear!
Just checking in to see how you're doing today? I noticed you're moving into the 2nd week of recovery, hopefully you've turned a little corner and are feeling better than last week!

Side note:
Stay away from the wall squats lol ~ don't let those therapists push you too much : ) it's not "boot camp"! I actually had three PT visits within the first two weeks, then I decided to just have one PT visit in the home once a week as I'm self motivated and do my PT daily anyway...this way my therapist can see my progression week to week and it gave me 9 weeks total in home (my doc was sweet and requested in home PT as opposed to out patient PT).

Sending you lots and lots of loving positive healing thoughts today:)
 
Last edited:
I've been quiet in the forums the past few days. I've been icing, reading, and starting P/T and basic yoga on a chair that falls within our guidelines. I believe everything is going well and I'm feeling less pain than pre-surgery and have greatly reduced the use of pain meds. I'm doing such a good job of not being in the overdoing it club that I'm a bit immobilized!

Washing my hair is a bit challenging. I'm wearing Goodwill long skirts (not my style!) I got to make dressing easier. I put on my face everyday but feel like a slob. I'm still using my walker in our small home and reluctant to leave the house although I'm so anxious to walk some distance! I am walking in the house short distances without the walker. My P/T assessments show that my balance is good, I can get in and out of an armless chair without assistance, and my gait is pretty good. I'm a moderate fall risk still. I would like to dump the walker in the house as my arms are sore from pushing it around. I will ask my P/T tomorrow about a cane.

I want to get out and about but worry about needing to use a public restroom and get to it timely, not finding appropriate seating, and being in LA traffic and needing a break. I'm a bit too fearful it seems. I've worked with disability and aging during my whole career and am so inspired by many persons who have overcome worse. I'm content (sort of) hanging in the house. I would enjoy an outing for Happy Hour or early bird dinner and should just clean up, put on yoga pants (not the skirt), grab the walker and do it! Maybe today.

I don't have my post-op until 7/2. I'm looking forward to driving, going to the pool, and getting the scar healed. Meanwhile, I don't want to overdo which I've been good about, but I would like to return to life in the world again without the anxiety and fear. Any tips? Thanks for listening.:puppysmooze:
 
Luvsibes, it's so great to hear from you!
Sounds like you're doing everything right, not pushing too much but moving around a bit : )
Even putting on make-up? Wowza ~ Kudos to you my dear!

My PT had me walking down the street w/a walker maybe just 50 feet my first time within the first week...she told me to go a few houses more each day if I felt like it ~ which I did but used two crutches (instead of the cane) so I could control the weight distribution better, got rid of the walker in the 1st week but loved the crutches! The single point cane...not so much ~ hurt my wrist and didn't like leaning so much w/it, I also liked to keep my posture upright and be able to focus on walking properly w/the crutches, I used them the first 3 weeks, then transitioned to the single point cane in the 4th.

My 1st "outing" was 2 weeks and 2 days post op...a pool party (where I made sure to simply sit in a chair), I took one crutch with me...wish now I had taken two...went to dinner after and had an evening at home of a little slow dancing...(with my husband supporting me)! The next morning....BAM ~ 2 days in bed with ice...not able to move or do anything! I thought I really hurt myself!!! So...when you do go out and you'll want to get out for sure...try to make it a little trip ~ I over did as I'm finding a lot of us do two weeks post op, if you ask me....it's just not worth it! Slow and Steady Wins the Race : )


Big Hugs and sending you positive healing thoughts today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been with my P/T in front of the house a few steps starting yesterday. I wanted to keep going and she know that and told me not yet. I need that restraint and am learning from all of you that week 2 is really about balancing our need to move with need to rest.

Thanks for the hugs and healing thoughts. I'm sending them back to you and they will continue to heal us one vibration at a time.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Your absolutely right...it's all about balance ~ a little movement and a LOT of rest : )

Big Hugs and thank you for the well wishes!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hoping to go to our local favorite taco Tues. today. Considering taking Togo (he's a good boy at restaurants) and this place is easy access. It will take a bit of planning to get me settled, dog settled, and hubby to go in and order. I think I can and will feel good and come home and ice and rest. I'll break out my "new" tie dye long skirt for the occasion. I think I'll try my usual yoga pants to get in and out of soon too!

I had a sheltie years ago that did therapy work. It was rewarding and fun. I think about getting Togo in to agility once I'm able to move about again.

Have a wonderful day and thanks for your support!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful to hear from you @luvsibes
It sounds as though you're doing really well.
I'm with you on the make up. It made me feel better after those initial days of bed head and the "look" of a patient. I was over that pretty quickly! I go through lipstick withdrawal :heehee:

I'd be surprised if PT refused the cane idea. It sounds like you're definitely ready for that.
Try a meal out. You can do it! Pick someplace close to home that you like and go at an "off" time to avoid crowds for your first outing. I think you'll be surprised and handle it well. Pick a place where you can park close, or get dropped at the door. I wouldn't advise getting any more ambitious than that for a first outing.

Please don't be afraid to start living again. But....you do need to take it slow. Something simple and easy like I noted above. Avoid large crowds, walking long distances, or long car rides and you should be okay. I'd watch HH too, you don't want any accidental tripping, or falling, in these early days. I'd save cocktails for one or two at home for the time being....I think I had a glass of wine with dinner at home at about 3-4 weeks out and it was enough.

You're doing great...keep it up and have a lovely day!
 
Back
Top Bottom