Guest viewing is limited

THR Home and Feeling Great!

Hugs and pats to Fritz and a woo from Togo. I can't wait until I can get on the floor and really get down to tummy tickle my boy! Love to you Sunshine!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Luvsibes ~
I'm sending out lots of LOVE to you today ~
I have a little song for you : )
"What is Life" by George Harrison
Sending you positive healing vibes and wishing you a beautiful day today~
Big Hugs ~
 
Perfect song and one I love! I was looking for a happy Monday song as Monday is my post-op and hopefully another new beginning! Stitches out, a shower, driving, and outpatient rehab approved I hope! I sure need more exercise!

Monday songs are all pretty depressing! Bangles Manic Monday, Buffet Come Monday, Fleetwood Monday Morning, and of course Mamas and Papas Monday Monday...all great songs but doesn't anyone look forward to a Monday! LOL!

Sending the positive healing vibes circling back to you and all our forum friends!:loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hahahahaha ~
Well good morning early birdie : ) I'll find one for you for sure....if there's a "will there's a way":loll:
no depressing songs for us on this site even on Mondays ~ glad you like this song....I luv it too!
I have my 6 week (it's actually 7...) post op check up and final PT clearance this am...so big day for me ~
Take it easy on the "work outs"....go slooooow and don't do too much ~ don't want to have to make you wear that ODIC crown:heehee:
Sending you lots and lots of love today ~ Big Big Hugs
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm naturally an early bird but today more so. I just couldn't fall into a deep sleep last night. I wasn't in any major pain, just restless. I have been on my back for so long now starting a few months pre-surgery! I usually end up in the living room sleeping sitting up but couldn't go to sleep there either!

I'm likely worrying about a dear friend's 19 y.o. daughter who had 9 hours of surgery yesterday. She has a pronounced underbite that could cause problems as she ages. This is the year that bones are mature enough for it to be reset and all the orthodontic and facial stuff to be done. I can't imagine what this must feel like for her. When I went to bed she was finally in recovery but haven't heard more yet. Her mouth will be wired shut for some time. Puts my hip challenge into a different perspective! I will be assisting the family over the next weeks as my friend (mom) was rushed to ER last weekend with severe life threatening anemia! She is a type A and was at work this week as well as planning for her daughter's major surgery. I hope I can drive and bring cheer and help to them!

Wow! Thanks for listening to that!

PT comes early today and I'm so ready for next steps.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking forward to my outpatient rehab when it's prescribed next week. I have found a place near me that has both pool and land PT therapy! I did pool therapy for 3 years pre-surgery and had great results keeping myself going. Of course, I turn everything into a yoga practice including the pool work and many of my chair yoga students came from the pool crowd! I'm so ready to exercise more! I know - don't overdo it! I have to say that to myself constantly!

Has anyone gained weight while being this inactive? I seem to have moved into food permission this past week and indulging (finally an appetite again, I guess). I was told at the hospital more than once that this isn't the time to diet. I haven't stepped on the scale and will wait until Monday's appointment.
 
WOW...that's a LOT to have on your plate...my heart goes out to you today ~ thinking of your friends and sending you AND them lots and lots of positive healing vibes today too!
 
Thanks. You are a very special person! :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
. She told me that once my stitches/staples are removed they will likely give me some ointment

Good morning. Nice work , walking unassisted. Good for you!

I was told by nurse, do not put any creams or lotions on scar. The staples were removed 2 weeks ago. This is what makes me crazy...do this, don't do that. The removal of staples was a big step in my moving forward.
Continue your great progress. Healing Hugs
 
Good morning. Nice work , walking unassisted. Good for you!

I was told by nurse, do not put any creams or lotions on scar. The staples were removed 2 weeks ago. This is what makes me crazy...do this, don't do that. The removal of staples was a big step in my moving forward.
Continue your great progress. Healing Hugs
Good morning. Nice work , walking unassisted. Good for you!

***Interesting AnnieRose. I will wait to see what my doctor says about the scar tissue. I'm not sure if I have stitches or staples but I'm really ready for them to go and take the next steps! I hope the 90 degree rule is lifted. Was it for you? I'd love to bend over and pet Togo. I'm very proficient at using the grabber and it's amazing how often I drop things and need it but would love to bend and stretch!

Just had PT. I have a TENS unit on my shoulder/arm. Over the past few months of sleeping on my right side which doesn't come naturally to me, I have jammed the shoulder and and am challenged to move the arm in certain directions. It's what hurts now since I've had to put more pressure on it with the walker and cane. Once I'm back into exercise and the pool I know it will be better.

Love to you for today's best health!
 
Hey Luvsibes ~
Just came back from my 7 week post op appt. (I just love my surgeon....he's so great lookin'....I have such a crush on him):roseshwr:...I may have to get the other side done.....just so I can keep seeing him:rotfl:.
Anyway....(sorry I digress Ha!)
He said to massage my scar a little (since it's still a little tender) and I could use cream or Vit E oil (same as what both our therapists said)...so now that my tape is off (had no staples) and all is completely healed, I'll do that a little every day ~ he also said I could cross my legs now and start doing a little more and that it just takes time to heal....YAY! I now you're right behind me....and will be catchin' up soon!
j
 
Great News! More activity will feel good, I'm sure! Did you just get the tape off the wound at 7 weeks? I recall you had already been approved to drive but like me, will avoid traffic whenever possible! Do I recall correctly?

I'm not sure if I have stitches or staples. I keep forgetting to ask and I have wound-phobia so I don't look. My husband can't tell and the nurse aid who has changed bandages doesn't know. Hubby says it appears closed, healthy, and scabbed over at the last tape changing. I really don't care which it is! I am gently massaging it and sending it healing energy through the bandage now.

I am at 3 weeks when I go on Monday. I am hoping that the tape bandage is removed and restrictions are lifted but if you are at 7 weeks for this I wonder if that will be the case for me?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Sista ~
I had an initial larger "bandage" over the wound which the "in home" nurse changed 2X and my surgeon removed at 2 weeks post op....my skin was glued with a piece of surgical tape that came off slowly (I cut the edges off as it slowly came away from the skin), the last little piece came off at 6 weeks and 2 days...my scar is so so small (just 4" - he's amazing)!

I would keep the "tape" on for as long as possible, think they'll remove the bandage over it on your visit : )
I think having "restrictions" is not a bad idea, at least for awhile, I told my doc "I have been a good girl...& was only in the ODIC club two times...lol)! NO need to rush anything in my opinion ~ better to heal properly than to mess things up....but that's just me : )

He also said it's difficult for "younger" people....HAHAHA (luved that he said I was "young" ) because we want to get back in the game quickly....but this is a process and takes time, which I have learned to accept ~ an exercise in patience for sure!

Also....I was cleared to drive after my 2 wk. post op....but didn't until the end of my 3rd week...and then only to the local shops : )
Sending you positive healing vibes ~
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's so comforting or reassuring to get the :thumb: from the doc.
In light of your revelation :roseshwr: crush on the doc.....I've got a song for YOU!

Bad Case of Loving You :eyebrows: by Robert Palmer :wink:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHA ~ that is hillarious! LUV IT (and love Robert Palmer...) ~
I'm serious....he is SO cute, and young (early 40's...) tall and handsome, I try to think of things to ask him just so I can spend more time with him in the room HA! He visited me on a Saturday in hospital...came in jeans and a sweatshirt (on his way to his kids soccer game)...totally made my day:loll:I call him "Dr. D" (Dr. Todd Dietrick) but what he doesn't know....is the "D" stands for "Dreamy".....lol.
HUGS to you all ~
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And who knows what that song is about? In love with a girl / guy, doctor, drug, who knows!
Just thought of the "Doctor, doctor give me the news, I've got a bad case.....
Haha!

It's amazing how devoted some doctors are. Always nice to score one of those.
They're definitely out there.
 
Layla (another fav song - were you named after the song?), you have started my morning with a chuckle and good songs in my head! Thanks.

I believe we are only as old as we feel and my yoga students tell me I'll be 30 when I return to them in the fall. That would be great as last BD I told everyone I was going to be 68. My hubby stopped me and had me do the math. I was only turning 67 but all year I believed I was 67! So, I didn't age again and already feel more like myself at a younger age - maybe 49? Chronic pain sure can make you feel older!

Countdown to Monday! I had a large bandage that was removed before I left the hospital and there was a smaller one underneath which has been changed twice since I got home. I hope the little one is gone Monday as the wound is healing nicely I'm told. When the larger bandage came off at the hospital, my skin came with it and I had open sores that have healed nicely.

I feel ready for phase 2 and hope this 3 week post-op moves me toward more independence and the land and pool PT. I'm a very compliant patient also and with fibromyalgia I've learned not to overdo (well, most of the time that's the case). I've only done the ODIC Club once but I have gone out and about for meals. We went to our fav local dive last night and I easily scooted into a booth. They were happy to see me with my cane and not limping along dragging my left leg!

Off to other forums and a start to the day. Exercises done, Kauai coffee in hand, and a book to finish today!

Love to all of you and thanks for your support!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @luvsibes
Actually it's not my real name. It's what my five yr old grandson calls me. Why? We have no clue
because it doesn't even sound like my real name, lol.

I'm rather curious about Yoga but assume you have to get someone who understands what THR patients
can do safely? I would imagine they can modify poses if you struggle with a certain position? Do you feel
you'll be as limber before pain and surgery took place?

Ugh! Open sores? Must have hurt!

Funny you mention the booth. When I was at my worst, leading up to surgery. I began to favor chairs over booths. I couldn't scoot over anymore. It was painful! I'd sit close to the edge of the booth and when I got up to leave felt like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz.....O-i-l C-a-n!! Haha. I used to pretend I was looking for something in my purse because it became difficult to even take off at a normal pace! Stiff, stiff, stiff...
Now I can sit in the booth and scoot to the middle no problem.
And stand up and walk away without fake fiddling in my purse :heehee:
It's those little things we took for granted that make the biggest difference after THR.

Hope your weekend is great!
 
Hi Layla, Thanks for checking in. Little steps make a big difference as we move along this journey.

Regarding yoga - I have been a yoga girl all my adult life. I first started knowing something was wrong with my hip when I couldn't sit in Lotus or get up and down. I had bought several chair yoga DVDs for my mom (who had no interest in anything slow - just a senior Zumba gal for her!). So, I checked them all out and found one I really liked which was very adaptive and the teacher has taught staff at Cleveland Clinic and all over. Turns out she is local SoCal so I signed up for her teacher certification. She does provide a lot of permission to adapt and has charts on what is contraindicated for hip, knee, etc. The basic message is "if it hurts don't do it" and "yoga is not competitive". My students average age 75 and have been through surgeries or are like me and want to continue yoga without the mat ups and downs, etc. Some are with wheelchair (Lakshmi has modules and adaptions for that too), power chair, and walkers. I was a good model to show them each side can be different in flexibility as my left leg wasn't moving much pre-surgery. We don't have to be pretzels to benefit from yoga breath, visualization of alignment, and mindfulness. Here's a link to Lakshmi Voelker Chair Yoga: https://getfitwhereyousit.com/
There is a new movement in yoga for Accessible Yoga that is inclusive and gets away from the gym-based "more, more" and "no pain no gain" model of exercise. https://accessibleyoga.org/

I have no illusions that I will ever do handstands, backbends, etc. again nor would I attempt them. I do hope I'll have more flexibility and can at least sit on the floor and continue to adapt if needed. I would not attempt pidgeon again most likely. I am already more flexible than pre-surgery! I could not step onto a curb prior and can now lift me leg (not over the 90 degree mark!) easily! I have obtained a greater respect for yoga's benefits from this journey. Virtually every asasa/pose can be put onto a chair with varying degrees of adaptation (from visualization and breath to full extension).
 
Thanks for that info. It is something I'd like to try. Never have..but so many
are involved you can't help but be curious about the benefits.
Enjoy the day!
@luvsibes
 
Back
Top Bottom