Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

Thanks Jockette. I don't care for them but was told I need to wear them. Didn't even know I had lymphdema before last pain management doctor visit. Yes my ankles swell a little in the evening - as I told him - I'm a woman, 61 and sadly overweight of course my ankles will swell. Just one more thing to deal with.
 
The update from today's appointment. The doctor did both an EMG & ENG. What he told me was that about mid thigh my sciatic nerve isn't responding as quickly as it should. He added this could be because of so many knee surgeries - or how its always been. Its now worse because of my chronic knee issues. He'll send his findings to the surgeon whom I see at the end of the month.

The tests were okay, slightly uncomfortable but fine. However, I sat down when we got home and my sad hurting knee / leg are not happy. Hurting pretty good. He said this would happen, but I hoped it wouldn't. I ordered dinner in & I'm going to rest by the fireplace this evening.
 
I hope things settle down for you. :console2:
 
In reading various posting massage came up. I'm 18 months out from my revision and but yet another revisions type of surgery next month. I'd love to get a nice gentle soothing massage, except for the fact that I'm a chicken where that's concerned. I don't like me touching my leg / knee, there is no way I'd let anyone touch it. Anyone else feel this way - not getting a massage?
 
Same here!!!!

I’ve had 3 massages in my lifetime and I didn’t like any of them.

The first one was a “relaxing” massage. My daughter had given me a gift certificate as a thank you after her wedding. I was excited to go. It was only a 30 minute massage. When I got back in the car afterward I ached everywhere. I was so confused. My daughter always said she felt so relaxed after one.

The next 2 were several years later, as “therapeutic” for my back pain, and both took me 2 days to recover from.

So, after my PT and surgeon pushed my knee to a painful place to measure each time, I still, at almost 2 years post op, don’t want anyone touching my leg. (The exception would be my chiropractor, I trust her).

At 6 months post op, after 2 major setbacks, my whole leg was so tight, and I wondered about masssge but there was no way I was letting a massage person touch me.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this.
 
I have been getting therapeutic massage for the last 25 years for upper back/shoulder tension. It did take a while to find a good massage therapist. I think I would be having a shoulder replacement now if I was not getting a regular massage.

I understand about not wanting a massage therapist to touch your knee. All you have to do is ask him/her not to massage your knee. Since I have started having more severe knee problems along with sciatica, when the massage therapist massages my back and the back of my leg, I do get relief from the sciatica pain.

With all that being said, I realize massage does not help everyone. I hope you can find something that will help.
 
I don't like me touching my leg / knee, there is no way I'd let anyone touch it. Anyone else feel this way - not getting a massage?
Oh no, my knees are way too touchy to have anyone massage them. I can't even wear tight pants on them.
 
Tomorrow my appointment with the surgeon. I am oddly very nervous tonight. I can't figure out why. I certainly can't keep on like this so I know I need the surgery. Maybe its not the surgery itself - its the long recovery I'm dreading. Who knew a replacement, followed by a scope, then a revision, manipulation and RFA and now more surgery would ever happen? My knee and I are tired of this nonsense!!!

I'll report in what happens at the appointment. It will be fine, as I said I'm just oddly nervous. Think I'll go find some crackers to calm my stomach down. This is so not me.
 
We'll keep you in our prayers! Let us know what happens.
 
Very interesting and informative surgeon appointment. This guy is very thorough. The findings from the ENG & EMG show the nerve isn't firing as rapidly as it should on my right leg - from my upper thigh to my knee. That relates back to the back MRI findings of L5 & S1 showing degenerative disc disease beginning. All of which might just be insignificant findings or my cause/relationship issues I've had all along. He gave me the example: if my nerve were a can of soda I'd barely be able to move it and certainly not strong enough to move it to my lips for a drink. Meaning the nerve is there but its not "firing" how it should be firing. We didn't go into great detail, but he indicated I can somewhat strengthen the nerve when I properly begin using the muscles, specifically thigh muscles. By now my head was spinning.

He'd scheduled me for surgery Feb 15th - which was great. However, after today's appointment and reviewing everything with me he wants the surgery next week, Feb 6th. So now my mind is really spinning. Probably 3 nights in the hospital - its a private knee / hip hospital - very very nice & outstanding care. Each patient has an Aid to themselves and a nurse for every two patients.

We came home and the first thing I did was clean out the frig!! Then the kitchen sink was polished to a beautiful shine!! How silly was that? I then decided there is nothing so important it "has to be done" by Wed. I'll do a grocery store run and stock up and we'll go from there.

Since the love of my life doesn't drive and has early onset Alzheimer's our lives are more complicated than others. He does very well and he'll do fine - me worrying about him, not so much. I've got people who will take him to lunch and bring him to see me in the hospital. Our friends are so awesome. I teach a class every-other Tuesday so I've gotten a replacement for me for this semester - hate that but it is what it is. I'm on several various boards with Alzheimer's and I've "taken a leave of absence" from them. Not sure what else to do other than wait for Wed.

I forgot - he is calling this a replacement of a revision. Now to have insurance approve everything by Wed. that might be tricky. I mentioned it and surgeon said "we"ll handle that." I have no doubt!!!

There it is. Not sure what I should be doing - but I feel I'd better get busy!!!! Am I nesting?
 
So, is he replacing your implants? Any surgery to the nerves?
 
He is hoping to only have to change out the spacer - to one size smaller. But he will be able to replace everything once he's in the knee. Not doing anything to the nerve - that will happen after surgery through some 'exercises.'
 
eaglemom, I also had a spacer replacement which was painful for the first two or three days and then settled down to an annoyingly long rehab as my doc told me that if I exercised a swollen, inflamed knee, I would cause adhesions (scar tissue) to form. I was a good girl and now have a very stable knee.

For the exercises for the nerve? could he have meant something like e-stym which is an electrical stimulation to the nerve. with my second surgery, my quad muscle was a little slow recovering and they did e-stymn to wake it up. It was not painful---just a little annoying and it did do the trick.
 
Wow, that surgeon acts fast!

I hope all goes well for the revision on Feb 6th.
 
I feel like I've been on a whirl wind tour of grocery stores!! LOL. We've stocked up enough food to last quite sometime. I don't plan on cooking once out of the hospital for awhile. Have phone will order in. That's going to be my motto!!!

The house is in order pretty much and various lists have been made. Now to elevate and ice because the knee is absolutely screaming at me.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom