Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I put us all (both dogs & hubby) in the car for a ride. Christmas music and looking at lights - just a change to break things up. A distraction if you will and it was wonderful.
 
I'm glad to hear you got to enjoy the Christmas lights and music! A change of scenery is always a plus!
 
Will tomorrow is the day, I get to see the surgeon. It will be the first time since I had the RFA. Where I do think the RFA has helped some, that hasn't addressed my muscle / knee issues. He also doesn't know I'm on the compression pump daily. I'm trying to make a list of questions other than "the stupid thing is still swollen / hurts / is very stiff always / and I'd like my life back." Or maybe that says it all!!

He always does a very through exam and looks the leg over so I'm sure he'll notice some things. It's interesting because he does care that my quality of life since the revision has steadily gone down. He is just a step one, then step two then step three type of surgeon eliminating things prior to a rush to operate. I appreciate that, but now I'm ready to action.
 
I hope you have a good appointment tomorrow. :console2:
 
I am waiting to hear about your appointment tomorrow. I pray it's productive.
 
Finally time to report in on my surgeon visit. I'd had the RFA procedure after I'd seen him, so this was my reporting in on it. I do think RFA did "loosen" my knee some - but the other side of the coin - or knee - is that I've had thigh soreness since the procedure. Guess that's give and take. It wasn't a miracle and helped wonders, but helped to some extent.

However, there is always a however - my extension was less than 3 months ago, my ROM was slightly better. Extension is my issue. That and pain, oh and swell / tenderness. He moved the knee around and I literally could see the wheels in his head spinning. He sat down and shook his head and said "I'm so sorry." I ask why and he said he'd give me three options - and I don't have to make any decisions now I could think on them.
#1 - do nothing and live with it. Nope not what I'm choosing.
#2 - do nothing now and 'see' if time doesn't make things better. Nope not choosing that.
#3 - schedule surgery and get moving on getting a life. Bingo, we have a winner!!

What he was proposing to do and what he said aren't exactly the same, but I think it was 'doctor talk' so I didn't freak out. I knew I'd need more surgery to get this stupid problem knee better. He and I had discussed it, so that wasn't the shock. The shock was that he plans on clearing / cleaning all of the scar tissue away and putting in one size smaller spacer. He thinks that will give me just enough to gain 8 to 10 degrees and be able to walk properly and without a cane. And probably replace the tibial head. Yea. Then he tossed out that he "wouldn't hesitate" to totally replace the entire revision if he felt it needed it. That caught me off guard for sure. He said he would have everything there to do whatever to get this knee right. Then he very carefully said this knee will have gone through 3 replacement in not many years and each recovery might take a little longer than before. No matter what he does plan on 2 or probably 3 days in the hospital. I hadn't plannned on hearing that.

I said lets get it on the books and get recovering as soon as possible. He is off the next 4 weeks (of course) then is back the last week of Jan. He wants to see me then and surgery is on the schedule the second week of Feb.

I did ask him about the compression device and he encouraged me to use it regularly. It has nothing to do with the knee however if it keeps the fluid down on the leg that's a good thing. Plus its getting blood pumping where its been slack.

There you have it. He offered me Tramadol with a refill and I took it. Then I got the lecture that having the pill in the bottle doesn't help my pain, I've got to take them!!! Cracked me up but also shows he knows me.

One last thing - I've been wearing compression knee highs for a couple of weeks. They are ok - but I think they cause my knee to swell more. So I purchased thigh high compression hose. What a difference they make in overall how my legs feel. And bonus no swelling.

Now I'm done. Sorry its so long.
 
I hope all this goes well for you. :console2:
 
It's good that your decision has been made! Now, onward and upward! Yay!
 
Sounds like a solid and very hopeful plan! So glad for you.

Georgia
 
I'm glad you have a plan - extensive as it is. Try to enjoy the holidays without too much worry. Hopefully the Tramadol will help. I also find the thigh high compression socks helpful for reducing discomfort when on my feet a lot. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
@eaglemom, sounds like you have come to terms with what needs to be done. Is this the same OS that has done ALL the TKR's and revision? I wish you well and hopefully this will bring you some peace of mind.
 
@eaglemom....I'm going to apologize for not going back through all 15 pages of your recovery thread to find the answer to my question and just ask you. So if you've already posted about this in the past, please forgive me.

Have you had the blood test to rule out any allergic reaction to metals? Before you actually had another surgery, I suggest you do that even though it is rather expensive (almost $600) and not usually covered by insurance. And if you haven't had a discussion about this possibility with your surgeon, I think that would be a good idea as well. Here is the link to the ONLY lab in the US that performs the test. You want the Orthopedic Panel 2 test.
 
I’m glad you have a plan going forward. Enjoy the holidays knowing that you’re on schedule to have your knee fixed. The allergy test is a good idea and you have time to have it done before surgery. Rule out any possible questions regarding allergic reactions.
 
Yesterday the surgeon's nurse called me. I thought that was odd, apparently the surgeon and the pain management doctor were talking and both thought it would be a good idea for me to have an EMG test. As I've said before this surgeon is through. The nurse ask if I wanted her to set it up. Of course - I figure she'll get an appointment sooner than if I call. She called back immediately and I have that appointment in two weeks. Interesting...................

As a side note its nice having a date for surgery. Relaxes me knowing in the not too distant future I'll be healing instead of hurting.
 
At least you're headed in solid direction with a plan! Getting to a decision was such a relief when I knew what had to be done. Progress!! You sound like me about the pain meds! I learned my lesson over the Christmas holiday. I'm taking my meds when I need them! Good luck with everything!
 
Two weeks will fly by, then you'll have an answer! I pray it's a good one, one that can be cured!
 
Does anyone else wear compression socks / hose? Now that I've been wearing them several weeks I have questions. If I wear the compression socks that stop just below my knee, my knee really swells up. Fast forward to bedtime and I always have a miserable night. I can't get the knee comfortable.

However, if I wear compression hose that are thigh high after awhile my knee begins to ache. I keep them on but the longer they are on the more sore a very sore knee gets. I don't think the knee cap likes the restriction. My entire knee area then is just uncomfortable. At bedtime I can eventually get the leg comfortable.

Anyone else have these issues. Yes wearing them keeps the ankle swelling down but at what price?
 
Last edited:
I only wore the prerequisite hose for less than 2 weeks after surgery and my surgeon said I could stop. Mine must have been the right size because they never bothered me. They came to just below the knee.

I have read others who love compression hose later in recovery but personally, I do not want anything tight on my leg. I feel like my leg needs to relax and breathe and I don’t see how my leg can do that with tight hose on.

I’m sorry that things are not improving for you. :console2:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom