Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

I was wondering what would happen if you got compression socks that are a larger size, so that they only gently compress your knee. I don't personally know if compression hose work at all, but my thinking is if the "proper" size for you is too tight, try a larger size. Maybe, over time, light compression will help, then as your swelling went down, you could get progressively smaller pairs, while keeping the compression on the light side.

I am finally back. I've missed reading up on everyone.

I'm in TX and the Valentine's Day snow then no power for 78 hrs really stopped everything. Thankfully we had no burst pipes - I know so many people who have severe damage. With the power surge it caused my refrigerator to stay in defrost mode. Everything in there was ruined because of no power - but ugh. That's been repaired. Oddly my washing machine was fried from surges. So a new one was delivered yesterday. Almost 3 weeks with no washing machine wasn't fun. But we survived.

One thing I will say is that I've totally ignored my knee/leg and its not been happy. Today I've finally gotten all of the laundry done and put away. The groceries have been ordered and I think everything is restocked. The house has been cleaned so now I can go back to giving my knee the attention that is deserves!!!

Dare I say it but my left knee is really bothering me. I can't even go there, not mentally nor physically now. I've got to get the right one under control. The swelling is pretty bad. I've got bruises still, but I've gotten several new ones. The knee itself feels stable - and I'm thrilled with that. My hamstring is so tight and nothing I've found helps with that. I'm vowing to elevate and ice daily and see if I can't get things to settle down.

I hope everyone is healing nicely. I'll slowly go back through and read up on everyone. Happy healing.

I’m glad things are in the house are back on track, that was quite an ordeal. I’m glad you fared better than some others.

I hope both your knees will settle down again soon. Knees sure do like to complain! (at least mine do!)

What a nightmare you and other state-mates lived through. Thank God things are getting back to normal.

Ugh, just ugh. You would think I'd know/realize that so much of recovery is mental. I've found that I'm getting upset at the things I can't do. It's really messing with me and frankly I'm very embarrassed to even mention it.

I can do lots of things, but for some reason my brain is not going there. Its spring time and I love working in the yard - but its very challenging. When I do attempt to do something it's never 'how I used to' and that's frustrating to me. I know I'm preachin to the choir here.

So yesterday I told myself it would be fun to ride my bike. (You know where this is going, right?) I cleaned off the dust, checked the tires, etc. Its a girls bike, but I wasn't even able to lift my right leg high enough to get on. But I was determined (stubborn) I was getting on the darned thing. Once I figured out to get in opposite of how I used to I was on. I stood there with the bike then attempted to pedal. It was like slow motion - I pushed down on the pedal to move and then my foot came off the pedal causing me to loose my balance and slowly down I went. In my mind I knew to 'relax' and protect my knees. I was more embarrassed than anything and no one was around! I got right back up picked up the bike an got back on - this time wondering what was wrong. Then I saw the chain was off - thus the fall. I put it back on, and was even more determined to ride this darned bike! I slowly took off, thinking this might be fine. I was exactly one house from ours when my foot slipped again - but I kept my balance and kept riding. Then I saw what was happening. With this right knee and still compromised flexion I could only get my heel on the pedal. Try as much as I could only my heel was able to get on the pedal. I rode another couple of houses & turned and came home. Its clearly not safe to ride if I can't get my entire foot on the pedal. So very frustrating.

The good news is that my elbow on my right side is a little sore, as in my right finger on my left. It could have been much worse. Apparently I'm still mentally / physically trying to adjust to my limitations and frankly I don't like it.

There it is, the ramblings of me being frustrated. I thought since I can and do ride the recumbent exercise bike I figured I could ride my outside bike - I was wrong. I'm still swollen and bruised from revision # 3 - what was I thinking? Oh wait......I clearly wasn't thinking!

:console2::console2::console2:

I SO understand the frustrations of not being able to do things. I’m thankful I can do as much as I do, but there’s a lot I can’t do, and I had this surgery so I could do things again, just like you did.

I‘m glad you didn’t get badly hurt!

I think we’re all tired of winter at this point, and with the longer daylight hours, and nicer temperatures (only occasionally here in Delaware, it was actually cold and windy yesterday) it makes us want to go outside and do things.

Sending lots of hugs! :console2::console2::console2:

Thanks Jockette. I can't believe that I can't bend my knee enough to ride my bike. I just figured since I can ride the recumbent I could ride my 'real' bike. Boy was I wrong. Determined and very frustrated.

I was told by my PT that I wouldn’t be able to ride my street bike for a while. I ride the recumbent bike just fine. He told me I would have to ride the recumbent bike with me closer to the bike with the seat further forward. It’s just a matter of time. I’m sure you’ll get there too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I've slowly moved the recumbent seat up. Holey moley that's tightness plus a thousand. Baby steps I know. I'm doing 20 minutes - really too much to do anymore.

Hi! That is all my OS told me to do..ride the recumbent bike and gradually move seat closer for ROM and the straight leg lifts to build up the knee. :)

I have my 18 month post op appointment today. My list of questions is ready to go. I'm even taking the pamphlet from the vein doctor on the procedures he wants to do. The thought of anyone except my surgeon touching my legs makes me very very nervous. Ugh.

I'll report what he says.

Sending hugs and prayers for you today.

The thought of anyone except my surgeon touching my legs makes me very very nervous. Ugh.

I can totally relate! Just the thought of anyone touching my leg again surgically makes me very nervous!

3 ft x-rays and 'regular' x-rays were done. His PA came in and went over everything then he came into the room. He looked around the room and asked "where's Don?" LOL he enjoys chatting with the hubby and me. Hubby was at home.

The swelling isn't a huge concern of his - but rather he wondered why I wasn't still icing. He is a strong believer of ice, as am I, but alas I've not been doing it. The bruising is just that bruising - eventually it will go away. Nothing to be concerned about, now if I happen to have new bruising show up that's a different story.

He was thrilled with my extension 0. He didn't really think I'd ever achieve that. And he said that will very slowly get better, all in time. My ROM isn't great, it wasn't going into the surgery, and hasn't been for 6 years. I never thought I'd have a great ROM but hopefully in more time it will get some better. It measures between 94 and 98. As for stairs I'm just going to be a member of the one at a time club - don't like it but its what I'm used to. He said "your PT did an excellent job" and we both laughed knowing I did my own PT the BoneSmart way.

When I voiced a concern that I just can't make myself 'take a walk.' I'll occasionally drive to the park and walk, but usually I ride the recumbent. He's an advocate to listen to your body and we decided my body doesn't like the unevenness of the street. We both think with time that will change. I do have to concentrate on heal toe foot forward. My homework, if you will. (It's not like I don't walk, per say. I'll do the grocery store, big box stores, etc. Anything unlevel just wigs me out and I don't do it.)

He called me kiddo and gave me a hug for being a great patient - for that I'm very thankful. The knee is stable, finally after what seems like a million surgeries. So slow slow slow and steady. I'm still healing and elevation and ice are my BFF's! (He did say there was absolutely nothing wrong with pulling out the cane for security when walking. Carry it and if I need it I'll have it.) That's the report, not too bad. I know on a comparison level many whom would be devastated with my numbers - but these are my numbers and they are good for me. K

That is an awesome update! What a good doctor and nice man he is. He has truly accepted your body as it is, and didn’t force it into some preconceived protocol.

And big kudos to you, for doing the same, accepting your body as it is, and not forcing it into some preconceived protocol. I do hope, as you do, that improvement will continue to happen.

You are a fine example of strength and courage, in this journey we call joint replacement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562