Revision TKR Hmm. Not thrilled with the revision yet

It has been "highly suggested" that I wear compression stockings / hose / thigh highs. (Not socks that stop at the knee which cause more swelling of the knee.) I've looked on the internet and there are so many companies and prices. Hose that cost over $100, I certainly didn't realize that. Any suggestions on brands, etc?

Not a TED hose, but rather a compression type of hose. Where the compression is less at the ankles and slowly increases as the stocking / hose goes up your leg.
I think that @skigirl found compression stockings helpful. She may be able to advise you.

I worked part time in a store, so after TKR I used compression stockings for several months. I bought them from discount surgical stockings and just got the lightest ones. I had tights, thigh hi ones and some tights with the feet cut out of them. I liked those because I could wear regular socks. I used the footless ones the most and did have footless thigh hi ones that I wore out.

Thanks so much skigirl. I'm going to order today.

It's been two weeks since I've started the compression treatments. Can I tell any difference? No. Does the leg(s) still swell? Yup. Do I have more stamina in my legs? Nope. I realize this will take time but geeze.

Several things are really bothering me. Thigh pain, thigh muscle pain in my right thigh. I can massage some lumps & bumps out but I don't think I could allow anyone else to touch it. Too sensitive. This has all gotten worse since I had the RFA. Significantly worse. I hate hate hate to go back to pain management doctor - I don't love his staff. I get the distinct feeling its order more tests. But I've had hips, back and knees checked, xrays done and MRI's done. His staff has decided I need a "hip workup." I prefer my doctor to order tests, not the staff tell me what's wrong and order things. Just upsets me.

Still using a cane because of the knee. It doesn't feel stable and hurts. My extension is still an issue. I think I'm doing ok, then I try to get out of a chair, or walk across the house and realize I'm not ok. Its sad to admit but one of my friends said "you know I love you, but your knee(s) are going to kill you. Please try to see the surgeon again. It hurts to watch you do anything." I know it was hard for her to say that to me, and it was hard hearing it. All of my friends concern also involve my hubby whom has early onset dementia. We are in year 6 with it and we're only 61. That diagnosis at 54 - 55 yrs old wasn't expected. He doesn't need a huge amount of care, what he needs is for me to do everything household wise. We're a great team and are doing fine - but caregiver burnout is what's worrying my friends.

Ok, I'll climb off my pity me box and go fold the clothes. And I do already have a scheduled appointment with the knee surgeon in Dec.

I so wish I had an answer for you. :console2:

I was my husband's caregiver for many years, I understand the give and take of it and the inevitable stress. It is part of love, but it is not easy, I understand. Having a bum knee on top of that is just too much. I think I would demand an answer from my surgeon and help seeing someone else too.

My experience at a pain clinic was a lot like yours. I did not like the pain doc--he was a little too slick for me and urged me to have some painful procedures so they could rule out some things. I said no. RFA was his main topic---with Medial branch block being the second. I also did not like the staff either. They dismissed my questions about painful procedures and alternatives. I ran for the hills!! You were braver than me!!

I wouldn't call me brave - I just won't give up on this knee. My surgeon is being very conservative in his approach because he wants to exhaust everything before opening the knee up again. Of course I understand that - its the living with it day to day part that's wearing me down. I have no issues with the surgeon and I working as a team to find relief for me. I can even handle if I don't get anymore extension, as long as the pain can dissipate. Its the pain & not working that's bad.

Not giving up is the way to go! I like your OS!

Hang in there @eaglemom. This has been an amazingly long and painful journey for you. I hope you will get some more information when you see the surgeon in December. :friends:

Quick update. I'm still doing the compression machine daily. Well, ok, I skipped one day in 3 weeks. I'm just not sure I'm seeing anything change.

Been wearing compression knee high socks or thigh high compression hose. The ones that stop at my keep do keep ankle swelling down - but the knee upward is very swollen. The thigh high's will take some getting used to. One thing I didn't like about them is that they are very strong. After a half a day I had to take them off. It was just enough pressure on my knee that I couldn't stand.

I'll play musical physician offices tomorrow. I feel like I'm in no mans land trying to communicate with two different surgeons (pain management physician / orthopedic physician). We'll see if I can find anything out at the appointment.

Thanks guys for the encouragement, means so much to me.

Did they give you any idea about how long it could take to see results with the compression machine?

No Jockette they didn't, that's what is frustrating me. I was told everyday for life. That doesn't answer when I should see results. I've called the pain management physician (who prescribed the compression machine) and the nurse wasn't helpful at all. Matter of fact she wanted me to make an appointment for my hip!?! What the heck?

What I have realized is that I can't / don't sleep if I don't take a Tramadol. Otherwise I just can't get the knee comfortable. The other thing I'm really realizing is that my quad muscle is weaker than a newborns. That can't help but add to the equation of how my overall knee functions.

That is so frustrating. It would seem reasonable that it could take some time before you see results, and we are all different, so that time could vary, but a general ball park time would be helpful.

I’m so sorry that no one is able to get your knee to a good place. It’s very discouraging. It’s one of my fears as I seek second opinions about my knee.

I agree that you need some extra advice and instructions with the machine.

My latest airport story is that I ask if I couldn't keep my cane going through security because I couldn't walk without it. (I could but I was being dramatic!) Nope, it has to be screened. I followed the rules and let it be scanned - but a lovely lady waited for it to come through the scanner and immediately handed it to me. Win win. However, I was then pulled for a "full body" pat down and scan. I started to put my shoes on and that wasn't allowed. My backpack with tickets, passports, money, drivers license was at the end of the security check and they wouldn't allow me to get it either. Again another lovely lady asked me if she could bring it to me - of course I said yes. Then - drum roll - they had to find a female security officer to "pat" me down because I walked funny. Hello - two new knee replacements and you have my cane. Honestly you can't make this stuff up. At the 20 minute mark I ask for a supervisor because I would miss my plane. I was rudely told I should have gotten to the airport earlier. Hmm I was 2 hrs early. Finally a lady came and said we had to go to a back room for the pat down. Nope, I wasn't having it - she said I'd be uncomfortable if she examined me there. My response was "try me let's get this done." She did her thing then said she needed to see my ankles and knees. I sat down, pulled my socks off (I don't know where my shoes were at this point) and rolled my pants above my knees. Her response "oh my those knees have scars I'll have to wand them again."By now were 45 minutes into this nonsense - I said no. I want my shoes, cane and bag. She said "oh ok!" Geeze. I earned that preflight bloody mary that's for sure. Long story but canes have to be scanned, I've never shown any paperwork just the scars and that was good enough.

That's an airport story for the books, @eaglemom. I'm sharing it with my airport friends; I worked in airport administration and keep in touch with friends, including some in the TSA. They want to know what actual experiences people go through. No one who arrived two hours ahead of their flight should have to fear missing their flight because of knee replacements going through security. Hmmpf!

I don't have a piece of paper, either. Never had a problem with airport security. I was asked to show my scars to a stadium security guard, though, for a rock concert. :heehee:

I just need to vent here. I was trying to mess with some of our outdoor Christmas lights - and it hit me like a lightening bolt. Last Christmas I was 7 month into revision surgery. Fast forward to today and I'm 18 months into recovery but can do LESS now, have more PAIN now, more SWELLING now. This just frustrates me to no end. I'm following the pain doctors advice with the compression machine daily. Gurrrrr

I have an appointment on Monday with the surgeon. I've had everything x-rayed, MRIed, bloodwork multiple times. I think the only thing to do is open it up again, but that won't happen before the end of the year I'm sure. Of course then come Jan its a $3500 deductible again.

Going to take a pain pill and put on my compression legs and veg for 45 minutes - surely that will help my cranky mood. Sorry everyone.

:console2::console2:You have every right to be frustrated! At 21 months my bend is much better, but not much else is since maybe 6 months post op.

I’m lucky, my current deductible is $4500 and in January it will go down to $1000. It was $4000 in 2017 when I had my surgery.

Vent away! You have many here that understand and care about what you are going through.

@eaglemom
I've moved your post about your airport screening experience into your own thread, because it's much more about your recovery than it is about SusieShoes.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks