Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Hitched A Ride to The Other Side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am entering the 9th week on a high note!

1. Pain. *It's manageable with meds. I*usually have a high tolerance for pain, so this one must be a doozy! *I continue to feel the tightness around the knees, but, I have learned patience. *The PA did call back last week: OS says the burning in the legs is nerve pain and that should resolve. *It's more annoying than painful. *

2. Meds. Since I have been alternating Norco and Tramadol, I no longer have night sweats. Yay!

3. PT. *This morning, the receptionist said to me: *"it's like a ray of sunshine when you walk in here!". Boy, that made my day. *I try to be pleasant with everyone I meet during the great knee caper! *When I told my day nurse at Rehab that I was leaving that morning, she said: *"Can you stay? *We'll send someone else home." *I was learning patience in my interaction with the rehab center people who for some reason couldn't understand what I said the first time around (English is not my first language).

OK, back to PT. Last week, I spent 15 minutes on the elliptical! *That is huge.
* * * * * * My OS knows that my goal is to return to teaching aerobics (Jazzercise) classes as soon as possible. *The RX to my next visit is at least 120 ROM in both legs, and correct gait. *Today, I measured R: 0, 128. L: 0, 136. *So, that goal has been met. Second goal? *Not so much. *I need a lot more work to keep my knees facing forward now, and to balance on one leg, which is important during aerobics dance.*

4. Activities. *Went out to eat the other day and I didn't think once that my knees were bent! *OTOH, I went to class yesterday, and my legs felt so heavy, *I couldn't do any of the moves. *Definitely not ready! *I will add a walk around the block every day when it's nice. Eventually, I also want to participate in the various 5K walks we have here. *

* *And I had a pedicure! It wasn't uncomfortable at all!

5. Food. All still good. *I'm keeping my good habits. *Up one lb this week; but it's like ROM. *Up some days, down some others.

6. Item last, kitties are going to have to find another piece of warm furniture to lounge about on since I'm moving about more.

Remember. There's a solution for almost everything. We just have to help the knee find it.
 
Hi PooShay

A wonderful jolly report and full of great achievements - well done on a good job :thumb::thumb::thumb: Top marks for getting a pedicure (still haven't painted my toenails :th_heehee:) and your ROM is excellent. Just out of interest what is your first language?

I stand on one leg to clean my teeth and have doing it for ages - it really does help with the balance. Keep up the good work :thumb:
 
Thank you! My brother, who came to see me in hospital a few days after surgery, is amazed at my progress. But there have been a lot of good things helping me get there!

I didn't realize how bad my balance is. (maybe too much vino! :snork:) And that's what I need to work on.

One thing I didn't mention as far as meds: after i left Rehab, I've not needed to schedule meds around PT or vice versa.

Jo: Français.
 
Wow! PooShay, you are an inspiration! I hope my recovery goes on a positive note, however I will deal with what I must and I am ready! Thanks for your posts! I look forward to them and keep up the good work, don't push to hard! Enjoy your conquers!:friends:
 
:th_heehee: too much vino - we should start a wine thread here :th_heehee: I do believe a few of us will be able to contribute!

I love all things French - we are going over to France on Sunday for a few days - I can't wait as it's my little treat for getting my knee done. Lots of lovely wine to drink and seafood to consume :thumb:
 
Oh yeah Jo, a wine thread would thrive really well here! I'll miss it while I'm recovering after my BTKR, however onces I'm cleared I don't think it will be hard to enjoy again!:cheers_wine:Enjoy your trip in France you worked hard for it!
 
Hi Pooshay! I just read your latest 9 week report, I must say that I am jealous of your great ROM! I was there once though but I will get ack again!

You are always so cheery and so much fun, I enjoy reading all of your posts! Hmmm, maybe it is the vino! I am with you there. Give me a good Cabernet, Malbec, or Pinot Noir and I'm happy!

You know before I was a runner I was a Jazzercise junky! It was like my job...I was there 5 days a week. Had a blast, loved it and I was good at it too. Then one day I just said to myself...I am tired of driving off and paying to exercise so I just put on my running shoes and ran out my front door and felt pure freedom. 24 full marathons (26.2 miles) done before I had my TKR!

I think your new knees look GREAT!
 
Oh...I downloaded the app that you did to measure ROM, please tell me how it works...
 
Oh...I downloaded the app that you did to measure ROM, please tell me how it works...

Thank goodness for the search function on this forum! I found what I had posted:

Re the Jinfra Goniometer.

Once installed, it's ready to use. Place the side that reads "Measure against this edge" on a flat part of your quads then press "START". Then move the iPhone/iPad to the shin and press "END". And that's your ROM. Press "RESET" to clear. If you get a negative number while measuring flexion, just press on "FLIP". Voila!

This app only save the previous measurement.

As for accuracy, I'd say 3-4 degrees +or -. Since I just want to get an idea of where I am, that app suits me fine.
 
Jo. Enjoy your trip to France. Sunday is just around the corner!

Bonnie. I dont I could run even if I were being chased by a bear! But I can imagine the high is unbelievable! That's what I miss the most about teaching high impact aerobics.
 
Thank goodness for the search function on this forum! I found what I had posted:

Re the Jinfra Goniometer.

Once installed, it's ready to use. Place the side that reads "Measure against this edge" on a flat part of your quads then press "START". Then move the iPhone/iPad to the shin and press "END". And that's your ROM. Press "RESET" to clear. If you get a negative number while measuring flexion, just press on "FLIP". Voila!

This app only save the previous measurement.

As for accuracy, I'd say 3-4 degrees +or -. Since I just want to get an idea of where I am, that app suits me fine.

Ok Pooshay, I tried it at PT today. I was doing heel slides with a strap up on a PT table. Was not going for the all time best ROM, just wanted to test what the app read. I pulled my knee up measuring just the way you said and it measured 122. Then let my knee back down and pulled it up again and had had my PT measure with the real deal tool and he measured 121 So pretty darn close and nothing says that I even bent my knee the same either. I just like having a ball park figure. It can be accurate at home from a stand point of having a baseline even if it is different from the PT, it is something to build on at home.
 
Re: Hitched A Ride to The Other Side-Pain Meds

So, I've always taken my pain meds (Norco, then 5weeks later alternated with Tramadol and Aleve am & pm) by the clock every 4 hours, and eventually every 4 1/2 hours. On the second day of my 9th week, I started ignoring the alarm. Fourth day: no more Norco. Aleve 1 Tramadol at night. I find it amazing that I could open my mind to listen to my body. Unfortunately, the body isn't calling for chocolate!!!

Question for Josephine: can I mix Aleve and Advil? If so, how? I realize that we have the BoneSmart cocktail, but I have LOTS of Aleve and Advil at home. If mix is a no go, then, I'll get Tylenol.

@Josephine:

(in edit: how come my tag doesn't work?)
 
PooShay---you put a semi-colon after Josephine--then when you post it turns into a colon and it all turns blue.
 
PooShay,


You should NOT mix Aleve and Advil, they are both antinflamatants. Aleve is naproxen based and advil is ibuprofen based. You can used EITHER on with Tylenol. I would suggest trying one with the tylenol, then for a day or 2 try the other and see what works best for you. Hope this helps out a bit.
 
Yesterday, my husband asked me if I felt my knees. I told them not yet because of the tightness, but the knees made me feel like the robots in the Kia Soul commercial. Party rock!

I also went to Jazzercise class Saturday morning and danced the first 10 minutes.

I had a very strange day, mood-wise, yesterday. I finally thought that maybe I had withdrawal? All is good today.

Got the hula hoop out, todayt. Practiced a few moves, then got adventurous with the vertical step thru. One-legged action (right, then left leg). My balance exercises are paying off!

61 days post-op. I'm not smooth yet, but I'm getting there!
 
Rose is right, PooShay.....no mixing of NSAIDs at the same time. And both Alevel and Advil ae NSAIDs. You could take either wth the Tylenol, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom