THR Hitch & Get Along<

PS Please excuse the rambling above. I think I have been avoiding discussing the status of my hip for so long (running away from it to be honest) so now that I feel like I have opened Pandora's box of emotions. My apologies for getting so far in the weeds.
 
No need for an excuse @NanaKP that's the beauty of this forum, your fellow Hipsters are hereto listen and celebrate/commiserate depending on the situation. :heehee: And congratulations on more grand babies, they are the best. :happydance:
 
@NanaKP you have every right to express your thoughts. Plus it's good to say them out loud so to speak/write as it will help you when you meet with hipster.

Congrats on the upcoming new grandbaby! We're expecting twin grandbabies late spring/early summer! Hmm, must have been something in the air this past year! :rotfl:
 
Just catching up reading your thread. Congratulations on the bonus grandchild!

I'm going to go do some "sewing-therapy" for the rest of the day.

I find sewing is therapy, too. Glad you are working on a baby quilt. I am sure your new grandchild will enjoy it for many years.

So sorry to hear you may have to go get a second opinion. I do hope you will find the answers to feel better.
 
PS Please excuse the rambling above. I think I have been avoiding discussing the status of my hip for so long (running away from it to be honest) so now that I feel like I have opened Pandora's box of emotions. My apologies for getting so far in the weeds.

Please no apologies. You're no different than any of the rest of us. I'm sure you were holding out hope that in maybe a week, or month, or whenever from now things would be different, your pain would disappear and all would be as it should. Sadly, it's not your reality and you need to address it, which you're not shying away from.

It sounds like you have a friendly relationship with your Orthapedic surgeon making it even more difficult to raise concerns with him because it may feel as though you're being confrontational in a sense. Really though, you're not. You're simply experessing things haven't advanced to your satisfaction and your gut feeling is that something is not right. I'd be honest and tell him that you don't feel you've progressed past a five on a scale of one to ten.

I don't view you as wishy-washy. Wondering if it simply more of a fear or anxiety over what may need to happen to get this right that had you giving it more time. I don't think anyone relishes the thought of more tests, possibly another procedure and more down time. You're normal!

Just know that we're not judging but here to offer support and encouragement as as you move forward.

I'm happy to read you gain relaxation / therapy through your sewing. And babies, more yummy, sweet smelling, soft, precious little additions to your family. What a blessing and how awesome!

You can take breaks to stretch and walk on your way to AZ and it may be just the distraction you need to connect with loved ones, creating memories, engaging in happy times.

We're walking with you, Kim. Please know this is a safe place to share your feelings.
Hugs
@NanaKP
 
Kim---
I am so glad you have the appointment set up for Tuesday. If at all possible, try to get off of work a bit early on Monday and take the time to put your questions/concerns in writing so you have something to refer to during the appointment. If you can spend some time with last minute researching and make notes/questions about that too, I think it will help you sleep better Monday night, and go into your Tuesday appointment calm and focused. Being prepared always helps me with things like this.

I think part of what you are describing is a sense of grief, or loss, that you went through all of this, and still don't have a positive outcome. Those of us who are optimists always lean towards our best hopes, and it is especially hard when we have to accept that things aren't OK, they aren't going to work themselves out, and we are going to have to start the process again to figure things out. It is especially hard when you are as busy as you are with your small business---I'm suspect sometimes you have been so busy there, that your pain, while present, gets put on the back burner.

You have a new grand baby coming and other kids/grandkids/husband/hobbies, etc that you need to have energy for, so hopefully no matter what you find out at your appointment, you will be ready to take it on and reset. And the many suggestions about a 2nd opinion either way sound pretty wise to me. Without that, you may not feel quite as certain/confident about what your current doctor says. I know that can be hard, depending on your insurance, but it seems like a wise investment.

Before I close, I have one other thought/questions.....have you ever had back issues? If your doctor says the hip is great, it might be worth asking for an MRI of your back, or the hip region. When you were describing those spark pains that have slammed you a few times, it reminded me of some pains I had prior to my back surgery 10 years ago---when I'd move just right (or just WRONG) I'd get zingers that nearly caused me to howl in pain.

I am sending lots of hugs and good wishes your way for answers. And good for you for speaking up here on the forum and saying how frustrated and worried you are---it's good for your health to be able to get that out.......and good rehearsal for Tuesday. Good luck!:loveshwr: Debbie
 
All of these kind messages, thank you. I may have cried a few tears last night reading your posts and I mean it from my heart - Thank You.

Had Xrays done first before seeing Hipster this morning (they looked really good, everything is where it should be). He did a very thorough exam, LOTS of questions and he didn't tell me it was all in my head (my biggest fear). He did convince me to get a cortisone shot in that hip as he suspects Bursitis. Right now I'm not so sure about that shot though, my thigh feels swollen and is getting more stiff/sore as the afternoon goes on. Maybe that's normal? I also did an MRI this morning. I don't know how Stephanie (H's right hand gal) was able to get me scheduled right then and there but she did. (The office gal joked that they don't even question how Steph manages to do things like this, they just say thank you). I await the results.

I'm currently at work but think I will go home in a while and get some ice on the hip. Maybe it just feels swollen from all of the maneuvering he did.
 
@NanaKP it's good to know everything looks good on the xrays. Do you have any idea when the MRI results will be back? I hope soon for your peace of mind.

I was trying to read back over some of your posts to get an idea of exactly what/where your pain has been. Did he say it's just bursitis or trochanteric bursitis? Not sure it really matters, was just curious.

When they do the injection it's usually fairly painless, this coming from a needle phobe. I had a quick one, not xray guided like they usually do, my GP just kind of did a quick cortisone injection in what was seeming to be the area I was having the worst pain. He agreed with my assumption that I have trochanteric bursitis and was trying to give me a little reprieve as I don't see the surgeon until end of month, they cancelled my appointment last month. They can take up to 2 weeks to start to take effect and there is no guarantee that it lasts for very long. Some folks have great response to it and never need to get another shot.

I'm trying not to jinx it but I think between the injection and me returning to pool walking and some light exercise/stretches the last couple days seems to be helping. The searing, almost like burning or cutting pain that I was having is letting up. Oh, and I've been icing a lot, even taking an ice pack to bed.

Not sure if we have the same thing or similar but thought I'd share to give you an idea. I know you've been through so much, hoping it turns out to be something simple and easily fixed. Daily swimming is one of the recommended exercises. :friends:
 
Hello everyone - I just got off the phone with Hipster. They learned quite a lot from today's MRI and the Radiologist and OS went over all of my previous CT scans, Xrays. First, there is no sign of infection (what a HUGE relief to me), both implants are in proper place and nothing looks to be loose.

I DO have Bursitis in BOTH hips (the right "good" hip is psoas bursitis?) I also have tendonopathy in the left side along with the Bursitis. He threw out some other words but I didn't write them down. He thinks that I haven't felt the pain on the right side because the pain on the left side is much worse. Funny because when I first went to see him for the diagnosis of OA, the pain was on my left side when in actuality, my right hip was in much worse shape.

He is going to call me tomorrow to discuss what he wants me to do - PT with manipulation and ultrasound? (I have to be honest, I tuned out a bit at this point because I am NOT a fan of PT and especially going back to the same place where I was before). I really don't know much about bursitis or tendonopathy so I will be researching tonight. He said he was glad I allowed him to do the shot today because he does really believe it will bring me some relief.

I've been icing since I got home from work today. My hip feels swollen and sore - that could be from him moving it around at my qppointment or maybe it's from the injection. I didn't ask him if that was a side effect because my cell phone was not behaving very well when I was talking to him (thus the reason we still keep our landline here at home).

Any advice, suggestions from those ever dealing with these two things would be greatly appreciated. I'm just so darned relieved that it's not a loose implant or infection!! The rest, I think I can handle!
 
Sure glad to hear your hip implants are good! :loveshwr:So nice to know that the worst case scenarios didn't occur!! In terms of your new diagnoses, I haven't dealt with either, so I can't offer any helpful hints.

What did cross my mind was whether you had asked about the possibility that some of the pain was coming from your back? If it is, you'd want to know to alert the PT prior to their working with you. When I've had PT, they have adapted exercises, or had me do certain ones since I do have some back issues so they didn't aggravate it.

Doyou have to go to the same PT as before? If not, I'd sure consider someone new, and getting a fresh start, since it didn't sound like you loved your former on. Over the years I have had PT for a number of things. (Not my hip.) Out of the 6 there was such variation in their communication, demeanor, and expertise. Most were OK, but the last one I saw for my knee was so outstanding that I will return to him if ever I need therapy again. So you might need to try a couple to find the right match if PT is going to be the answer to your issues.

And one final question.....would you see any value in perhaps still getting a 2nd opinion? With everything he suggested that might be going on, if it were me, I might be inclined to get another opinion before I launched into PT and further treatments. Not to complicate things, but rather to be more confident and certain. Probably no real need right now, but do keep it as an option:)

I hope you are able to get good answers to your follow up questions when your doctor calls tomorrow! Debbie
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday :)
Wonderful news in regard to no sign of infection or loosening. That news must feel so encouraging. I'm sorry to hear about the bursitis, but thankful you have a diagnosis giving Hipster the ability to suggest treatment that will hopefully bring you relief from the pain you're struggling with. Your future is looking brighter! Please stay in touch, we'd love to read of the progress you make as you move toward your happy ending.
Wishing you comfort along with offering a prayer the cortisone injection brings you relief soon.
@NanaKP
 
@NanaKP it sounds like you received some really good news! I know you had to at least breathe a bit of a sigh! The bursitis can be adding to your swelling, add that doc did multiple movements to assess your hip and yes, the injection can cause a bit of swelling and soreness at/around the injection site. Icing is definitely something you want to do a lot of. It can take up to a good 2 weeks before you signs of the injection working. I

If you weren't happy with your previous PT try getting another one. Even if you have to go to the same place I would ask for a different PT.
 
Hi @NanaKP,

I've been swallowed by the Holiday Monster and just got spat out! Sorry for the delay in responding to your thread and for the struggles you have been enduring over the last couple of months (and longer!). How did your appointment go with Hipster on Tuesday?

I agree with what other members have said about speaking the truth and advocating for yourself and that 10 quality of life! You would do it for your family, why not for yourself? Sometimes, we women can backburner ourselves and downplay our own suffering. You are clearly suffering and it's time to do something about it. I also want to echo the suggestion to see a revision specialist for a second opinion. What you are describing definitely sounds like something is not right in that hip. My experience with the cerclage cable removal is nothing like yours, so that can't have been the problem.

Holding you in the Light for answers and healing!
 
I just realized I had missed a number of posts before posting my last response...

Good news that the implants are looking good and no infection! I don't know anyone who has had tendonopathy, but do know people who have had bursitis in the hip area. One neighbor was helped by a pilates therapist who taught her at home exercises and it made a big difference for her. I second the thoughts here about using a different PT if you have not had good results with your previous PT, and perhaps getting a second ortho opinion.

I hope that with the right PT help you will finally find relief now that you have some new information on what is happening with your hip. I wonder if massage therapy or acupuncture might be helpful?

Wishing you all the best on this new leg of your journey. May it finally lead you to relief and a better quality of life. Holding you in my heart and sending a big hug.
 
Hi @NanaKP I just read through your thread, I am so sorry you have been worrying so ! I would be worried, too. Then what a relief to read that your MRI showed some soft tissue issues.. that is better than what you were worrying about.
I wanted to mention that I've had steroid injections before and I've always felt like you have been feeling. More pain and a feeling of swelling. My Dr's told me it is from the pressure of the extra fluid pressing into the inflamed tissues. The extra fluid bing the actual cortisone injection.
It seems to diminish after a few days. Hopefully you are noticing some improvement already.
Wishing you the best over the next week or so and I sincerely hope this helps resolve your problem.
 
Hi everyone - I just had my 5th PT session today. I left PT knowing that they were upset with me. The therapist commented soon after starting to "work" on my hip, that she had seen my review of them (via email) and that I have given them a mere 5 out of 10. She wanted to know why? I hesitated for a moment then told her that I had nothing personally against her and her assistant however I felt like I was wasting SO MUCH TIME every session that I had. I kindly told her that I didn't like the 2-3+ minute wait between exercises (while they stood at their computers discussing latest diet reviews with co-workers) and yes, I did understand they had many patients at the same time (things to chart). but when I have the first appointment time of the day (7 am), I feel like I should be leaving before 8:30 in the morning to return home to ice. I'm NOT there for a full body work out, heck, I'm not even there for what I would call a "work out" that I used to do 3 years ago. I was there because my OS wanted me to have PT with modalities - I would be fine with just doing the modalities part there and I would handle the exercises at home. I will add that when she used the roller pin thing today (2nd time only) on my IT band and hip today, I was barely holding together about 10 seconds in. She realized it and backed off immediately but stated "your hip, IT band & thigh muscle are SOOOOO tight, I can feel it through the roller pin." I looked at her and said "yes, I know - I believe that's why I'm here?" I realize that there are patients who wouldn't do any kind of exercises (or possibly not even know what to do) without PT. I am NOT that person. I do NOT like PT, I have a really bad impression in my brain after doing it for 3 months after my first THR. I don't want to be there, I KNOW I have a bad attitude.

The therapist only worked me 100% of the session the first time I was there then I was turned over to her assistant for probably 90% of the session. Today, she worked with me probably 75% of the time before the turnover but I heard her say to him "she doesn't want to do the exercises anymore." That is so far from the truth, I told her I'd do them at home. It seems to me that she took that personally.

I'm here to ask my Bursitis professionals, how long after the cortisone shot, resting from "active" exercise and PT should I start feeling better? I'm ready to just call it a day and forget it all. I was up probably 3 times last night with pain in that stupid hip, finally took more Ibuprofen around 3 a.m. - slept for an hour then got up to get ready for PT. I am sooooo frustrated at this point that I"m thinking I should just call it a day and live with it from here out.

Sorry to ramble on . . . I really could use some guidance and any insight. Thank you in advance. Trying not to cry, trying not to just give up on it all, trying to keep some kindness towards my spouse (it's Valentine's week afterall, am I right?)

Hating anything related to PT - STILL having a Hitch in . . . well . . . Hitch.
 
Last edited:
I don't blame you for feeling upset, and I think it's really healthy that you can vent about it. It must be so frustrating and you clearly feel very overwhelmed. :console2:

My first thought was to see if you can switch to a different PT practice? Are you limited to this one? If not, I'd be out the door. I've had a few physical therapists over the years and while I've never had a horrendous/cruel one, I have seen such variation in approach/communication/ability to empathize. I've learned what I need in order to stay motivated and be successful and I know I wouldn't be able to thrive in the setting you describe. A good PT wants to know how you feel not only physically, but also mentally/emotionally about what you are experiencing. You deserve that.

My other thought is that perhaps knowing that you are experiencing ongoing pain, you should be taking some pain relief on a routine basis. Many times I have found myself trying to stop all pain meds as a goal. Then I have been reminded that staying ahead of pain is critical and when I've taken acetaminophen regularly find myself feeling so much better overall. Sometimes I think we put unrealistic expectations on ourselves and set artificial deadlines that don't always benefit us. Obviously I am not a medical professional, but if it were me, I think I might take acetaminophen 2-3 times a day for a couple weeks and see if you could settle things down. Could you also perhaps work with a massage therapist who could gently address some of the areas that are tight and need stretched without using the roller or painful methods?

I know you have tried so many things, and keep feeling that you are coming up short. I'm just tossing ideas out there, partly in hope that one of them might be worth pursuing, but also to remind you not to give up or lose hope. There are options and ideas to help you.....you just haven't found them yet. I'll be sending warm, healing thoughts your way, Kim. Take care. :loveshwr: Debbie
 
Sounds like a reasonable expectation:

but when I have the first appointment time of the day (7 am), I feel like I should be leaving before 8:30 in the morning to return home to ice.

If it is possible, switch PT and do not review them so soon. I would ask, if PT is at 7, is it reasonable to end the session in 1 1/2 hours ?
 
@NanaKP I'm not sure all that exercise is needed - especially if the diagnosis is bursitis. Have you seen this article from our Library Trochanteric bursitis with THR ?

In any case I really question the attitude of staff at your PT. It's not their business to question your rating and accusing you of not wanting to exercise just sounds like a major bad attitude. If it were me I would stop all that PT and rest, ice and elevate. Let that injection work.

Hope this all eases soon!
 
I believe if a PT confronted me like that it would turn me off and they'd no longer have me as a patient.
Putting you on the spot as she did seems very unprofessional.
If they had commentary to offer why didn't they do so via email in response to your email review? It would have been less confrontational and embarrassing for you. I'd give them another unfavorable review for that incident. :yes:

Possibly another meeting with Hipster is in order for a Plan B?
Wishing you comfort and relief.
@NanaKP
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom