Guest viewing is limited

THR Hit the Ground Runnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow - you are really screaming through this recovery! Well done! There's no stopping you now!
 
Wow - you are really screaming through this recovery! Well done! There's no stopping you now!
It would seem so! Thanks. I had it in my mind that I would attack this recovery like I would train for a race. So far, so good!
 
Sleep (in my own bed) is getting easier every night! Funny, it's more my knee than my hip!?!?

Question for Josephine. Is there anywhere here on BS or elsewhere a list of milestones to expect after THR? Of there is, I couldn't find it by searching 'milestones'. If you read enough peoples threads, you may come up with somewhat of a list. Wonder if an official BS list of THR milestones might be a nice addition to the library? Something people could use to track their personal progress. I would be glad to help!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
If only that were possible! But the fact is that milestones vary dramatically from one person to another which is why we always urge people not to compare their recovery with others. So I certainly don't want to set up such a table as some might end up getting discouraged if they are not keeping up to it. Others might also see it as a challenge to do better! True!

However, we do have this chart Chart representation of THR recovery
 
Wow inthebeginning you are going so well....I'll admit to being a little jealous as I have to stay on crutches for 6 weeks!!!!

It is very motivating to hear how well you are doing....keep up the good work :yay: :yay: :yay:
 
Josephine, I was thinking a document that folks could print out and keep at home to track their own personal progress. Nor necessarily have it posted here and share on BS.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Ok. My son had a football game about a mile from the house yesterday at a local high school. I've been helping the team by taking video on the iPad. This school has a very nice facility complete with a press box at the top of the bleachers. There is a steep ladder/stair to the roof of the press box for filming. Guess who climbed up to the roof!? It was a gorgeous Colorado day.

The boys lost, but played a hard game and came away feeling pretty good.
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'

If you look real close you can see a touch of snow on the highest peaks!

The day continued with our Homecoming party in the evening. I enjoyed my first adult beverage in quite a few weeks! Found a folding/ party chair that made my hip feel like it wasn't there! Awesome night!

I am trying to start today without Tylenol! Will keep you posted.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'

Started the day on the back deck with coffee and Snoop dog. Walked a half mile with my son and Snoop. Then after breakfast, family took Snoop to the dog park!

Waiting to get home and elevate and watch some football!
PS- 12 hours with no Tylenol! Could be worse ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
It's funny. I've been doing 90% of my posts from the iphone. I have to come back and re-read posts to give thanks and likes!

You guys and gals are all fantastic! We are all doing the best we can at our own speed. That's what it's all about.

It's the little successes that keep us working towards that next goal or milestone, whatever and whenever it is.

All of you keep up the great work. It's worth it!
 
Treated myself to a Starbucks frappucino drink this morning! I had to walk 2 miles to get it ;-)
It tastes delish. Then I get to walk 2 miles home!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Love your Snoop dog! I'll bet he/she is great company through all this.
 
Love your Snoop dog! I'll bet he/she is great company through all this.
Indeed a most awesome buddy! He is a rescue puppy from the Indian reservations down in New Mexico. No spay or neuter laws there;-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Awesome work guy.That anterior approach and your motivation are a perfect combination for textbook recovery.The view from the photo you posted looks great.Did you say snow?I cant wait,bring it on.I should be going back on the roof right about the time it starts snowing here.How did your hip feel after the 2 mile walk for a frappacino then a two mile walk back?Risk vs. Reward.Mmm frappacino.Keep up the good work bro your one of my motivators.Peace.
 
Well, I sat while I drank the cold frozen treat. I also used it to ice my thigh and knee!

I didn't calculate my split times, but came in right at 20:00 min mile average. That's 3MPH!

Take that Arthritis, I've got a new hip now!
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
So, when I'm alone...walking...sitting...whatever, my ADD keeps my mind filled with great, crazy things. Especially when I'm out walking and listening to my old running tracks.

I really think the stars aligned for me with this whole hip experience. I'll recap...

Groin pain and some knee pain the past few years after longer runs and races.
Finally this spring after my last half marathon, I had to see a specialist to find out what was going on.
First OS pretty much said, "You are bone on bone with OA and we will see you in 5-7 years for a THR". I didn't hear much else as this was almost as big a shock as was the news when I had a heart attack 10 years ago.
I didn't really care for his bedside manner plus the office seemed like a mas production line. There was a huge wall of patient charts like I had never seen before and the waiting room had 20+ seats.

I got a second opinion lead from my primary and really like the vibe of the office as soon as I set foot in it. Only a handful of chairs and nice happy staff.
When I met the doc, he took the time to explain why I had the OA. Apparently it was due to FAI, which I still can't figure out how you would know you have it unless you are looking for it. Obviously it was too late when I finally found out :headbang:

This new doctor and his partner have 10 years experience with the anterior approach and were the first in Colorado to do it. Patient success stories piled to the moon and back!

Now, I am one of them. However, I couldn't have done it without all of you! @everyone I don't really know any of you, but we are all eternally bonded through our hips! Thank you all so much!
 
Hey thats cool,bonded at the hip.Yes we are.Good call.
 
You are going so well inthebeginning....love your dog too....what breed is he?

Roofmaster......back on the roof with snow???? Wow you'll have to be careful.....it doesn't snow where I am!!!!
 
Vetgirl, we were told his mom was a 9 mo. old Doberman. A few of his siblings had the markings of such. We paid for a DNA test and got: Wheaten Terrier, Min Pin, Chinook, Koolie and a few another breeds! The way he looks, I really want to believe there is some Ridgeback in there too ;-)
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Getting ready for first post-op with OS tomorrow! I may only walk a couple of miles today so I'm not too sore ;-)

Really looking forward to my PT assignment. I think I know what to expect, but still a little apprehensive.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom