THR Hit the Ground Runnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done ....remember to take care too :wink: :wink:
 
First night at home was a partial success. Tried to sleep in bed with pillows under knees. Absolutely killed my lower back. Moved to recliner and slept like a baby!

Ice machine on all night. Popped up out of the chair and took a walk around the block first thing ;-) 2/10 of a mile!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
very well done take care
 
Just walked another 2/10 mile lap around the block. Already cut oxycodone in half and feel good. Getting a little itchy on the scar already!

Hope this isn't TMI, but the only negative so far is no BM yet. :-(


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Spent the day at home resting. My sister-in-law stayed with me. She is a PACU/Emergency nurse with 38 years experience and had her right hip done twice in the last 5 years.

She has one word to describe me today: outstanding! I certainly don't want to seem like I am bragging, but I really feel that all the work I did the last month and a half is paying off in a big way.

Understanding that every body/person is different and preparation and recovery can take many different turns. I only had a couple of months to prepare for this invasive procedure, I decided to study up on it and luckily found BS along the way.

BS is a completely awesome organization and superior resource for all who are going through and coming back from hip and knee procedures! I learned so much and made super acquaintances in the short time I've been here.

I did as many post-op PT type exercises that I could muster and did some sessions on an elliptical trainer at the gym. It has paid off in a huge way!

Ice, elevate, rest and the rest of the BS mantra is the way to go. I'm lucky to have been given strict instructions t walk, walk, walk! That's all I have to do for the first two weeks until my fist visit with my OS. Then he will assign whatever PT he feels necessary.

Happy walking!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh my gosh!! I'm so happy for you!! What a wonderful progression you are making!!! Keeps feeding my hopes!! Lol
 
Fantastic inthebeginning... sounds as though your recovery is going to plan - yes... Awesome :) and you achieved another milestone with t'other end... That always makes us feel better.. Good for you :)
 
bionicmedic, aim high! You'll be fine ;-). You have a great attitude already, keep that going. It will carry you a long way!

Poppet, what a difference it makes!

Here's my 'best friend' keeping me company!
[Bonesmart.org] Hit the Ground Runnin'



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
inthebeginning my OS said the same to me that walking was the best thing I could do, PT has given me a few other moves to do to keep other muscles active.
 
Good start today. Walked the kids to the bus stop, 1/4 mile round trip. Then the three S's! _____, shower and shave! Feels so good! Preparing for a 2 hour car trip tomorrow to watch my son play football. All the docs and nurses said I can do it if I'm up for it. I certainly think I am!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Another good day. Sister-in-law was watching me again. She made a great egg white omelette with fresh garden tomatoes and avocados for lunch, then we took a 1/2 mile walk this afternoon, then a really nice nap on the back deck in the sun! It was about 70 degrees but ate the altitude here in Colorado, it felt hot!

I've been able to cut the Oxycodone from 10mg every 4 hours to 2.5mg every 4 hours! I'll be glad when I can cut it out altogether. No more Senekot and Miralax! :groan:

I've discovered something that may be useful to the more active or athletic people on BS. We deal with lots of aches and pains on a daily basis from working out, running, etc... A lot of the pain I'm getting in my leg right now are just really 'BIG' aches. I'm thinking that folks that may not be as active and not used to these aches may feel a need for more pain meds here in the first few days/week.

What do you think?
 
Getting ready for a 2 hour car trip to watch my son play football. Bumped the Oxycodone back up to 5 mg and two Tylenol this morning, just in case. Should be fine! Looks to be a beautiful Colorado last day if summer day!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good luck with the car journey. They can be challenging for new hippies. Enjoy the game!
 
Halfway there, feeling good. Just stopped for gas and stretched out a bit.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Awesome guy.Somehow I knew you were going to excel at this.Peace.
 
Awesome guy.Somehow I knew you were going to excel at this.Peace.
Thanks Roofmaster! You did call it a couple weeks ago ;-)

Home now with extra elevation and the coldest ice pack we could put together. A little more swelling than usual. I expected that since I walked a lot today. Grassy fields and hard pack dirt were the course for the day. Hoping for a good night's rest! Nothing on the schedule tomorrow until a 6pm basketball game. Big plans to recline and watch some NFL football as I normally work Sundays ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Popped up out the recliner this morning like a teenager! Went out on the back deck for a cup o'sunrise and coffee with my wife :-) Getting in and out of chairs is getting easier each time I do it! I walked across the deck without the cane and my wife said,"You haven't walked that smoothly since January!" I'm only 5 days post-op.

I guess it's no wonder everybody from my OS to the discharge nurse seemed so nonchalant about everything. They saw something in me that I kinda knew was there but was no really aware was so prominent at the time.

I felt so weak and destroyed those last few weeks before the surgery. On the outside I made it look like I was the big strong guy and I was a fully preparing for the surgery, but was a complete mess on the inside. I think I actually made a thread with that name ;-)

As I've read elsewhere here and now experienced firsthand, these thoughts and feelings are all natural parts of the process.

Embrace them! They will make you stronger on the other side!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Isn't it amazing when you suddenly see how narrow your world had become pre-op. All the energy used to fight the pain and cope with the simplest of things. Post-op it's like a black cloud that suddenly lifts. Awesome!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom