Guest viewing is limited

THR Hit the Ground Runnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have successfully cut the Oxycodone to 1/4 of the daily amount since I was released from the hospital. Today at noon, I am going to attempt no narcotic pain med and Tylenol only. I feel the pain is no worse than/comparable to the Pre-op pain and can be managed with Tramadol. This is what I used before surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hello. My name is Pete, and it has been 10 hours since my last dose of narcotic painkiller.

In other news, I just threw the football with my son for about about 10 minutes....obviousy no walking aids needed anymore :) Of course, I will bring the cane when I know I will face a lot of stairs or uneven surfaces.

Crossing fingers for continued progress at the current rate!
 
Just headed home from my son's basketball game. They won 31-9!

Sat the first half, 20 min. Stood for the second half. Walked up the BIg staircase (24 steps) to the parking lot. Feeling pretty good.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Think I spent my final night on the recliner last night. I woke up and moved to the couch and lay on my good side with pillows between my legs for a few hours! Felt ok. I think the at bed may help the back as it has been a little touch and go when I've been waking up. No narcotics since noon yesterday. One Tramadol last night after the basketball game. Not really sure it helped by wasn't in too much pain and the ice overnight helped. So, I'm down to just Tylenol now every 6 hours!

Today my wife left me. Left me alone for 5 hours so she could go to work. ;:-) She is a small business owns and needed to get some stuff done. I did fine by myself. Fed myself, took care of some emails with my son's football coach and took a little nap before wifey got home. We then went to our local big box supermarket and I pushed the cart around for an hour. Looking forward to the ice.

Stairs are getting easier and looking forward to my 14 day follow-up with the doc next Thursday. Hoping by then I'll be ready for some punishing PT and get my butt back into shape ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I've discovered something that may be useful to the more active or athletic people on BS. We deal with lots of aches and pains on a daily basis from working out, running, etc... A lot of the pain I'm getting in my leg right now are just really 'BIG' aches. I'm thinking that folks that may not be as active and not used to these aches may feel a need for more pain meds here in the first few days/week.

There may be something to that. My OS said when he sees somebody with x-rays like mine, they are no longer able to walk. But I'm gimping around with a cane...getting worse by the day. It's been several years since I've been able to run and a couple of years since I could walk well, but yeah, there's a tendency to ignore things that aren't on fire. I'm hoping to move through the weapons grade meds quickly too. Will be harder for me since I'll still have a bad hip after the first surgery. What baffles me is how can you blow out just one hip or knee...like are you in some kind of 3 legged race or something?
 
jeanius, the FAI only showed in the right hip. Can't explain it myself, perhaps an old unattended injury or something that along with the 'normal' aches and pains of running and exercise didn't really get my attention until it was too late!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Good morning! I was going to post about my 'rough' night last night. Started out in my own bed! Woke up after 4 hours on my side with the big heart shaped pillow between my legs. Was an hour late for Tylenol, wasn't feeling too bad so I didn't take it. Won't do that again. I waited until the next dose time and it wasn't very comfortable. Still managed some sleep, so I think a few more days and I may start cutting the Tylenol!

This morning, walked the kids t the bus stop without the cane ;-) I am so excited! I can feel all the positive energy coming through my iPhone from all of you every time I get on BS!

Thank you all so much!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Wow guy 2 weeks out from surgery and your off the cane and narcotics?Quite impressive my man.Seems to me your like the poster child for hip replacement recovery.Every time I think Ive reached a milestone I make sure to read your post for some self humility.Awesome,totally awesome.Set the bar and take no prisoners.Peace out bro.
 
Roof- you're right behind me! Sure I'll be reading about you walking stick free in no time. Not to brag, check your calendar. I'm only 1 week out!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Whoa my bad bro ya one week out,even better.And what you mean not to brag,youve got bragging rights brother.I was stick free but it took me 3 weeks.Now Im back at square one but its all good.Kudos to you brother I am impressed.Own your achievements man you deserve it,I know how difficult this is and you are definately at the top of the class.Like I said before,somehow I knew you were going to excell at this.Congratulations my man.Peace.
 
Roof-you're the one who deserves the kudos. You've been here once and came back for more! I'm hoping the left hip holds up for me. So far it looks good.

You'll be climbing back to work before you know it. We'll all be here to share it with you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Still having trouble stating comfortable in bed the whole night. Made it about 4 hours again last night then had to move downstairs to the recliner. Not sure what it is but am still getting good rest.
Couple more nice days in the forecast so will try to up the walking distance!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Ok lets agree to agree we both deserve kudos.Doctor is filling out discharge papers now,Im going home.Hey I also have that issue with not being able to find that comfort zone lying in bed and I also resolve it by going downstairs to my recliner.Great minds think alike.
 
I'm the same way, I usually have no pain or minimal pain during the day. As soon as I fall asleep, the pain starts and I can not get comfortable. I usually wake up every 2 hours all night long. It was the same way before my surgery.

I know there is light at the end of the tunnel, I have been through this "night Pain" last year with my TKR, and the pain does go away.
 
Ok. Here we go. Woke upper today pretty rested. Walked the kids to the bus stop (.25 milies) now you must understand that as a runner, everything I do is going to be measured ;-)

Wife offered to take me for a drive while she was running some errands for work. Yay, out of the house! See, she has asked me not to walk outside alone until 'cleared' from the doc. Makes sense, so I have complied even though I felt like I could do it.

While we were out, the doctor's assistant, PA, called to see how I was doing. We talked for a few and I asked what I could start doing. She said pretty much walk as much as you want. I said I was thinking about the gym tomorrow and the upper body ergo meter and treadmill at a slow walk. She said go for it! I asked about walking alone outside. She said go for it!

Here's the her we I part...when she dropped me off at home I had a lite lunch and walked 2 miles out in the Colorado sun! Felt so good. Had my headset on playing the music tracks I used to run to. I may have gotten a little teary-eyed :boohoo: might have been the wind.

I have now re-evaluated my goals. The marathon I had planned to run on October 20,2013 is obviously out of the picture. They do however, offer a Bike Tour that covers about 22 miles of the marathon course. I will ride that course! I will also plan to 'run' a marathon before my next birthday in April next year. Can't think of a better birthday present!
 
Ok, here's something cool. My OS provided me with the 'card' that many of you are familiar with. The cool thing about mine is that it is linked to a website that lists my parts!

WWW.Implantlink.com is the website. I think it's pretty cool. Everything is manufactured my a company called Medacta. Here's my part list:

Ti Standard Femoral Stem Amistem-h
Highcross Uhmwpe Liner Versafitcup Double Mobility

Acetabular Shell No Hole Versafitcup Double Mobility

Ceramic Ball Femoral Head Mectacer Biolox Delta
 
Made it through the whole night in bed. Wasn't pretty but wasn't all that bad. No pillow between the legs...just me and my hip! Slept on all three side even! A bit uncomfy on the operative side but still managed an hour or two on it.

When the OS assistant called yesterday, I asked her about the pillow between the legs. She said not a bad idea but not mandatory with the anterior that I had. I think that switched something in my brain off that I had read here.

The best thing about BS is the camaraderie, support and motivation. My personal problem is sometimes not knowing which procedure someone had done. Then while reading their recovery story, thinking that some of the things that worked for them sound like a good idea and why shouldn't thy work for me.

Remember, we're all different. Even if we have the same approach, recovery will be different! I say 'tomato', most of you say' tomato'! ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Oh my! I was just walking to the garage to put some leftovers in the extra fridge. I have some old music playing and Earth, Wind and Fire - September came on. Not skipping a beat, I started a little salsa-type step. A few seconds went by and I stopped and thought, "I probably shouldn't be doing this....should I?" SO, I did a few more steps and then stopped.

Big Smile on my face.
 
Good morning! I was going to bore you with tales of sleeping in my bed, yada, yada, yada.

My son had a friend sleepover last night. They requested doughnuts for breakfast. There is a doughnut shop a few miles from the house.

I drove there! My world just opened up in such a big way! PT, gym, shopping... Now I won't get stir crazy sitting around the house. ;-)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Walked with my 6 year old daughter a half mile today. Went to the gym a short while later. Did 2 miles on the arm ergo-meter and .78 miles on the treadmill.

I am discovering it is a tad but more difficult getting in/out of the car on the driver-side than the passenger side because I have to lead with my right leg!

Feeling groovy!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom